1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Midnight blue v Charcoal

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pauper, Feb 9, 2007.

1. CommercialDoc

CommercialDoc Senior member

please read the original post. he is having a suit made for his wedding.

Though I am not the original poster, I too will be having my suit/tuxedo made for my wedding. I have my business suits made by Adrian Jules and will have them make my wedding wear as well.

So the RTW limitation should not be a problem.

2. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Sorry to have hijacked this thread but the midnight blue caught my interest.

Does this mean a semi-formal suit/tuxedo can be made of midnight blue fabric and be equally appropriate for an evening wedding as a black fabric? The midnight blue can actually be as dark or darker than black fabric? Do you still have satin/grosgrain on the lapels and is it still black?

If so, what is the forum consensus on the look of a black tuxedo v. a midnight blue tuxedo?

There's no such thing as a suit/tuxedo; it's either one or the other. A tuxedo in midnight blue has satin/grosgrain lapels like any other tuxedo and is no more or less formal than a black tuxedo. I have a midnight blue tuxedo and the blue is so dark that you basically cannot tell that it is not black. It has a slightly different sheen to it, but that's about it.

A midnight blue suit is just that -- a suit in a really dark blue that looks black.

3. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

There's no such thing as a tuxedo either. ... It's called a dinner jacket or dinner suit! [​IMG] Yes, I know I'm being anal.

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Should the DB vest match the charcoal suit? Or is a white vest appropriate for wedding?
    Matching is easier and safer. I suppose you could wear an off white linen odd vest with a charcoal suit. It's not exactly "canonical", but so what. However, you will find such a vest to be of limited usefulness after the wedding.

A two-piece suit (no vest) of which the coat is DB.

A classic wedding tie is black and white or silver in a small woven pattern.

5. HalfCanvas

HalfCanvas Senior member

please read the original post. he is having a suit made for his wedding.

Yes, but I thought there was another poster in the thread who was also looking for a wedding suit but did not imply that he'd be going custom.

6. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

Yes, but I thought there was another poster in the thread who was also looking for a wedding suit but did not imply that he'd be going custom.
    i didn't realize there had been an official hijacking. continue...

7. The Happy Stroller

The Happy Stroller Senior member

You should seriously consider wearing Morning Dress for a daytime wedding and full formal Evening Dress (i.e., White Tie) for an evening wedding.

Black is considered more formal, so black shoes are more suitable for a wedding.[​IMG]

I'm having a suit made for my wedding. I am trying to decide between midnight blue and charcoal gray--any thoughts? Which is more formal, which is more versatile, etc?

Also, if I go with midnight blue, are black shoes appropriate?

8. The Happy Stroller

The Happy Stroller Senior member

You should seriously consider wearing full formal Evening Dress (i.e., White Tie) for an evening wedding.[​IMG]

I am also getting married and have been debating between a midnight blue suit and semi-formalwear (black tuxedo, single breasted, single button, grograin lapels, etc.).
    ...<snip>...

9. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

The only thing is that getting everyone else to wear morning formal is a Huge Pain In the Arse if your family and friends aren't in the well to do society. Most everyone will only own a business suit, and I wouldn't want them to rent from places like Men's Wearhouse. Being the only one in a morning suit is kind of weird, too.

10. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am also getting married and have been debating between a midnight blue suit and semi-formalwear (black tuxedo, single breasted, single button, grograin lapels, etc.).

Can anyone point me to some photos of a formal rendition of a midnight blue suit? I hear this style mentioned frequently and am intrigued but have not been able to find examples of its formality/suitability for an evening wedding.

The most formal cut for a lounge suit is single breasted peak lapel with a one or two button closing. Side pockets without flaps. Single breasted vest, just like a dinner jacket, is fine. Never any silk facings.

This is the same cut that would normally be found on a semi-formal dinner jacket. It's worn during the day in situations where a stroller might have been worn in the past, and should be charcoal gray for day wear or midnight blue for evening.

11. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

The most formal cut for a lounge suit is single breasted peak lapel with a one or two button closing. Side pockets without flaps. Single breasted vest, just like a dinner jacket, is fine. Never any silk facings.
    nooooo!!!!

12. Will

nooooo!!!!

Oscar Lenius, A Well Dressed Gentlemans Pocket Guide

13. CommercialDoc

CommercialDoc Senior member

There's no such thing as a suit/tuxedo; it's either one or the other. A tuxedo in midnight blue has satin/grosgrain lapels like any other tuxedo and is no more or less formal than a black tuxedo. I have a midnight blue tuxedo and the blue is so dark that you basically cannot tell that it is not black. It has a slightly different sheen to it, but that's about it.

A midnight blue suit is just that -- a suit in a really dark blue that looks black.

My understanding from my SF research is that a lounge suit is a type of suit, a tuxedo is a semi-formal type of suit, tails and white tie make a formal suit etc. By writing suit/tuxedo, I was referring to that semi-formal type of suit. Please correct me if my understanding of "suit" is incorrect.[​IMG]

14. Will

My understanding from my SF research is that a lounge suit is a type of suit, a tuxedo is a semi-formal type of suit, tails and white tie make a formal suit etc. By writing suit/tuxedo, I was referring to that semi-formal type of suit. Please correct me if my understanding of "suit" is incorrect.[​IMG]

Then midnight blue is as appropriate as black, and should have black satin or grosgrain lapel facings on the jacket and a stripe down the side of the trousers.You may also want cloth covered buttons and a bit of silk on the side pockets.

15. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have several friends that were married in Italy. They wore worsted, dark charcoal suit, white shirt and silver/platinum four in hand tie, flower on the lapel. This seems to be the accepted and respected Italian wedding attire in the 50's. I think adding a vest is appropriate.

For my evening wedding I wore a midnight, tone on tone stripe, DB suit, white shirt, navy and silver check tie.