• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Midnight Blue Tuxedo - looking for pics and specific cloth recommendations!

MichaelXIII

Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm in the process of ordering a midnight blue tuxedo. I'm looking for a very very dark midnight blue, but I do want to be able to tell that it's blue, at least when shining a light on it! I've seen samples that look great, but then looked too blue when I was shown a made up tux. Other samples and tuxes, I swear I cannot tell that they contain blue in them at all.

Would love to see some pictures with specific cloth recommendations! Anything from 0-60% Mohair (the rest wool). Roughly I'm looking to spend between $1,000 and $3,500 on the tux, just to eliminate some of the more elaborate cloths.

Thanks so much!
Michael

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is midnight blue from Schofield & Smith worn on a summer evening in St. Louis.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Under artificial light, it is extremely dark with no grey or brown overtones.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks too light even on an Apple 5K Retina screen.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your high end price of $3500 puts you in bespoke territory, which means you can consult directly with a tailor who can show you fabrics. Take the swatches outside and look at them in the sun!

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your high end price of $3500 puts you in bespoke territory, which means you can consult directly with a tailor who can show you fabrics. Take the swatches outside and look at them in the sun!

Not bad advice but I'd pay much more attention to how they look under artificial light. As dinner jackets are not worn before 5-6 pm, I will guess that you will wear it much more often under artificial light than under the sun. That was my test for picking the Schofield and Smith.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not bad advice but I'd pay much more attention to how they look under artificial light. As dinner jackets are not worn before 5-6 pm, I will guess that you will wear it much more often under artificial light than under the sun. That was my test for picking the Schofield and Smith.
The sun will show the true color. It's the baseline.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fullsizerender-13-jpg.820566

jacket-jpg.831598

I got the same fabric as Brax. It is pretty darn midnight...

The cashmere makes it really lovely as well. The fabric has a beautiful hand.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Sleats. I am sure your tailor will have suggestions.

MichaelXIII

Reaction score
Thanks all very much for the information so far, very helpful. Keep any thoughts coming!

Currently I'm stuck between a 60% mohair Dormeiul that's too blue when made up, a 20% Mohair Vitale that I can't see any blue in (I'll try to go back and take it outside!!) and a 0% Mohair Vitale that looks essentially black to me on the sample, and unfortunately i can't see that one on a made up tux.........

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the same fabric as Brax. It is pretty darn midnight...

The cashmere makes it really lovely as well. The fabric has a beautiful hand.

What's the reference no. on that cloth? Thinking to have KW make me a midnight tux if the suit I have on order turns out well. I take it you and Despos decided the weight and breatheability were swamp country appropriate?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the information that Brax sent me a while back: Schofield & Smith Knightbridge II, Book No. 2748, 9-10 oz Midnight Blue Barathea, Super 120s.

I do not know if you will ever find anything completely swamp-appropriate. But it is a nice weight, and drapes very well. Honestly, you are so rarely wearing black tie outside, I did not really consider the outdoor-appropriateness.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the information that Brax sent me a while back: Schofield & Smith Knightbridge II, Book No. 2748, 9-10 oz Midnight Blue Barathea, Super 120s.

I do not know if you will ever find anything completely swamp-appropriate. But it is a nice weight, and drapes very well. Honestly, you are so rarely wearing black tie outside, I did not really consider the outdoor-appropriateness.

Thanks man!

(And you'd think outdoor wear would be a nonissue... But I've been to a black tie wedding, outdoors at 4pm, in August, in Austin! Hopefully the only time in my life where I get a sunburn in a tuxedo.)

JCinMSP

Reaction score
Michael,
My next bespoke project with Steed will probably be a tuxedo. I met with Edwin and Matthew last week in Chicago and we have narrowed it down to two cloths.
The picture doesn't do it justice, but the Smith & Co midnight cloth is quite nice and would look great with black facings. Might be worth checking out. The mohair adds a bit of crispness as well.
Good luck with your choice.
John 20171010_181859.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads