• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Midnight blue suit

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Midnight blue so close to black that it follows the same rules ? (Evening wear only)

What shirt/tie combos would go well?

I'm thinking a black tie is probably not the right way to go here..

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a midnight navy worsted flannel suit made up last year though I only got to wear it a couple of times before the seasons changed. I can't wait to wear it this autumn and winter.

It's surprisingly versatile in terms of colour combos. Under bright natural light it will show its "navy blueness", but indoors under artificial light, it fades to deepest charcoal/black. So for daytime business wear, choose shirts and ties that would go with both navy and charcoal suits. But if you just wear it at night, pick colours that go with charcoal or black.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
Is Midnight blue so close to black that it follows the same rules ? (Evening wear only)

What shirt/tie combos would go well?

I'm thinking a black tie is probably not the right way to go here..

Black lapel facings and black tie are customary on a dinner jacket.

I usually choose a different necktie to complement a lounge suit. Gray if I'm being extremely conservative.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments
By evening wear I didn't mean the suit would be for evening wear but the rule about black for evening wear.

Thanks for the tips, I thought it was black when I first received it but compared it to the black suit I had and it was different.. but I wasn't sure if people would be able to tell

mljs54

Reaction score
Wanted to resurrect this thread.

I have a midnight navy suit and the only thing that has worked for me has been pairing it with a white shirt (with both black and brown shoes). I've tried to pair some of my ties with the suit but nothing seems to ever work well. As of now I only reserve this suit for days when I don't have to wear a tie to the office, but would love to wear it more often as it's really great quality.

Any shirt/tie combos that work?

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For starters, a light blue shirt with a navy or burgundy tie.

Moonchild

Reaction score
I was actually about to post about this very same case...
l bought the H&M Margiela "navy" 3-piece suit off eBay.
Though the fit and the quality is quite inetresting (100% wool, cotton and viscose lining, very solid stitches), am quite confused as this suit is alway described as "navy", but it is darker than that. On daylight or strong lights, you can notice it's "blueness" (looking quite close), but under darker lights (say, at night), it looks black... It's my first "suit", and God knows l didn't want a black suit as my first suit.
My question is therefore, how to emphasize the "blueness" and tone down the "blackness"? Which colors (shoes, tie, pocket square, socks, shirt, belt... everything) can help? l want it to look the "bluest" possible...
a baby-blue shirt or white shirt with blue motifs (stripes, polka dots...) seems to work, but not sure about the shoes... grey? black? tan? deep brown? burgundy? (i have these colors...)
Thanx for your help (sorry for resurrecting this old thread)

(yeah, l know, don't pay attention to th white boots !
lol8[1].gif

Last edited:

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh I think midnight blue is great for a formal suit and it looks really good with a black tie. A very powerful look.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black, burgundy or brown shoes are fine with midnight blue.

Patek14

Reaction score
What race are you? Some races do better in black suits (Asian people). I think the same applies to midnight blue. Black shoes with midnight blue is probably fine for some skin+hair types

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads