• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Midnight blue suit - shirt, tie & shoes?

style37

Reaction score
I'm going to be attending a big birthday bash coming up. I just need something fashionable as I won't have seen many friends and family for quite a while and it will be nice to impress with a good suit. I've just been fitted for a tailored two piece midnight blue suit. I'm in my mid-twenties, tall slim/athletic build. I want to go for a rather sleek look, hence a slim fitted midnight blue suit.

I do need some help with the rest of the outfit as I can't decide on what will work best.

I'm currently thinking dark brown shoes, as black seems a little boring for what I want.

With regards to the shirt I'm thinking a nice crisp white or black shirt (black would look better open collar without a tie do you think?)

I've been looking online and recently I saw a monochromatic look and quite like it - example:

It's quite hard to tell but is some of this actual black (shirt maybe?) Any helpful recommendations for a similar attempt with regards to shirt/tie/pocket square?

Any thoughts on the mono look or otherwise (white shirt etc.) is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will find little love here for the monochrome look. My standard advice for that suit would be:

1. White FC (French Cuff) Shirt
2. Burgundy or Silver/Grey Tie
3. Black Shoes/Belt or if you are feeling adventurous, walnut shoes/belt

wumingde

Reaction score
Avoid monochromatic outfits like the plague. Take Guass17's advice.

wimsey

Reaction score
I think people who wear monochrome want to look "edgy," but it usually comes off looking cheap. It looks kind of okay on this guy, but he's a model wearing a MTM suit. (For the record, I think the suit and shirt are both shades of blue; not sure about the pocket square).

Gauss17's advice is good. I might go for a bolder/more colorful tie and silk knot cufflinks that pick up a color in the tie. I would avoid the suit-with-open shirt look: it says a lot of things, including: (1) I just came here from work; or (2) I've gained weight and it's uncomfortable for me to button the top button of my collar.

style37

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys.

What do you think of this look.. Fairly simple but smart. Again, I can't quite tell if the tie is a dark blue or black though - so hard with these very dark blues!

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the input guys. 

What do you think of this look.. Fairly simple but smart. Again, I can't quite tell if the tie is a dark blue or black though - so hard with these very dark blues!

It's fine. I would just prefer a little more color in the mix were it me.

Last edited:

Johnboy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think your (style37) second choice with the white shirt is better than the first. And BLU8 choice looks the best of the lot with the colour in the tie. A much more class act IMO.

style37

Reaction score
Having a similar look to Bond can't be a bad thing. I'm going for the second fitting tomorrow; I think I'll take a white shirt and try some ties to see how it looks. Thanks again for all the feedback. I've become a big fan of this forum lately (been reading & researching for a week or so) - there's lots of great info.

Ivar

Reaction score
With midnight-blue suits, I think white shirts are the only sensible option. As for the tie ... Personally I would go for something high contrast -- chocolate, burgundy, forest -- in as dark a shade as possible, but I can see something like mid-grey and silver working well, too.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads