Midnight blue suit - shirt, tie & shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by style37, Nov 21, 2012.

1. style37

style37 Member

I'm going to be attending a big birthday bash coming up. I just need something fashionable as I won't have seen many friends and family for quite a while and it will be nice to impress with a good suit. I've just been fitted for a tailored two piece midnight blue suit. I'm in my mid-twenties, tall slim/athletic build. I want to go for a rather sleek look, hence a slim fitted midnight blue suit.

I do need some help with the rest of the outfit as I can't decide on what will work best.

I'm currently thinking dark brown shoes, as black seems a little boring for what I want.

With regards to the shirt I'm thinking a nice crisp white or black shirt (black would look better open collar without a tie do you think?)

I've been looking online and recently I saw a monochromatic look and quite like it - example:
    [​IMG]

It's quite hard to tell but is some of this actual black (shirt maybe?) Any helpful recommendations for a similar attempt with regards to shirt/tie/pocket square?

Any thoughts on the mono look or otherwise (white shirt etc.) is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

You will find little love here for the monochrome look. My standard advice for that suit would be:

1. White FC (French Cuff) Shirt
    2. Burgundy or Silver/Grey Tie
    3. Black Shoes/Belt or if you are feeling adventurous, walnut shoes/belt

3. wumingde

wumingde Well-Known Member

Avoid monochromatic outfits like the plague. Take Guass17's advice.

4. wimsey

wimsey New Member

I think people who wear monochrome want to look "edgy," but it usually comes off looking cheap. It looks kind of okay on this guy, but he's a model wearing a MTM suit. (For the record, I think the suit and shirt are both shades of blue; not sure about the pocket square).

Gauss17's advice is good. I might go for a bolder/more colorful tie and silk knot cufflinks that pick up a color in the tie. I would avoid the suit-with-open shirt look: it says a lot of things, including: (1) I just came here from work; or (2) I've gained weight and it's uncomfortable for me to button the top button of my collar.

5. newyorknoir

newyorknoir Senior member

I would go with a light blue shirt

6. style37

style37 Member

Thanks for the input guys.

What do you think of this look.. Fairly simple but smart. Again, I can't quite tell if the tie is a dark blue or black though - so hard with these very dark blues!

[​IMG]

7. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

It's fine. I would just prefer a little more color in the mix were it me.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  8. BLU8

BLU8 Well-Known Member

9. Johnboy

Johnboy Senior member

I think your (style37) second choice with the white shirt is better than the first. And BLU8 choice looks the best of the lot with the colour in the tie. A much more class act IMO.

10. style37

style37 Member

Having a similar look to Bond can't be a bad thing. I'm going for the second fitting tomorrow; I think I'll take a white shirt and try some ties to see how it looks. Thanks again for all the feedback. I've become a big fan of this forum lately (been reading & researching for a week or so) - there's lots of great info.

11. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

With midnight-blue suits, I think white shirts are the only sensible option. As for the tie ... Personally I would go for something high contrast -- chocolate, burgundy, forest -- in as dark a shade as possible, but I can see something like mid-grey and silver working well, too.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  12. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Definitely wear white shirt and black shoes. I'm assuming this party is at night?