• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Midnight Blue pin/chalkstripe suit - what shirt, tie and pocket square?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I wore this suit with a baby blue shirt, mostly yellow silk tie and a lighter yellow/baby blue/sky blue pocket square on New Year's and it turned out nice. I'll be going to a holiday party in several days and I want a different look.

Picture of what the suit looks like (on New Years)

nyegw1.jpg

Any ideas? I'm thinking a white shirt, knit burgundy tie and dark green-ish pocket square. Or maybe white shirt, brown tie and lighter blue pocket square.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
I wore this suit with a baby blue shirt, mostly yellow silk tie and a lighter yellow/baby blue/sky blue pocket square on New Year's and it turned out nice. I'll be going to a holiday party in several days and I want a different look. Picture of what the suit looks like (on New Years)
nyegw1.jpg
Any ideas? I'm thinking a white shirt, knit burgundy tie and dark green-ish pocket square. Or maybe white shirt, brown tie and lighter blue pocket square.

Gee, you're a true sartorial risk taker
confused.gif
There isnt a day shirt you cant wear with this, get a strong stripe or a gingham check and have some fun.

JFKJean

Reaction score
I like the idea of the 1st look..or if you have a pink shirt (this works best with a light palette) instead of the white to funk it up a bit

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Gee, you're a true sartorial risk taker
confused.gif

There isnt a day shirt you cant wear with this, get a strong stripe or a gingham check and have some fun.

I am completely down for fun. Just need some ideas.
smile.gif
I love trying new things, just don't have a ton of cash to throw around on ideas that may flop (just bought a house...)

JFKJean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JFKJean
I like the idea of the 1st look..or if you have a pink shirt (this works best with a light palette) instead of the white to funk it up a bit

....or better yet, if your not too crazy about the pink and green PS together, go back to the blue PS from your 2nd idea

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JFKJean
....or better yet, if your not too crazy about the pink and green PS together, go back to the blue PS from your 2nd idea

Interesting... thanks. Going to compile ideas for now.
smile.gif

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Anyone have a nice source for a sub-$50 gingham pink shirt and sub-$30 navy dotted tie (preferably knit)?

Thanks!

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Anyone have a nice source for a sub-$50 gingham pink shirt and sub-$30 navy dotted tie (preferably knit)? Thanks!
Try Prowse and hargood, Harvie and Hudson and, if you're really strapped, even TM Lewin knit ties? Drakes knits are going to be more than that...hmm. One of the knit fans here will be able to steer you for that.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Try Prowse and hargood, Harvie and Hudson and, if you're really strapped, even TM Lewin

knit ties? Drakes knits are going to be more than that...hmm. One of the knit fans here will be able to steer you for that.

Thanks a lot. What are delivery times like for these companies?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Fast

OK, that's good. Quality wise... are these above most Nordstrom brands? I'm really not familiar with these companies at all. I appreciate your help.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
I posted a similar thread recently, although mine is a pinstripe. the responses may give you some ideas for your suit, as well:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=86442

Thanks.

Does anyone have experience with Prowse and Hargood shirts? Good, bad, ugly?

Also, still looking for a good place to get knit/grenadine ties with well spaced out dots on them. Love those ties.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
grenadine ties, check out bensilver.com or better selection of colors at samhober.com

as for shirts, highly recommend you check out your size on www.shopthefinest.com
Just about any brand on that site is a great buy, can't think of any exception to that rule.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
grenadine ties, check out bensilver.com or better selection of colors at samhober.com

as for shirts, highly recommend you check out your size on www.shopthefinest.com
Just about any brand on that site is a great buy, can't think of any exception to that rule.

Thanks. A bit too much for my blood for now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads