• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 2: MTM Shirts courtesy of Drinkwaters

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 1st auction of the year is for a Goodies from No Man Walks Alone. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Midnight Blue pin/chalkstripe suit - what shirt, tie and pocket square?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Messages
18,399
Reaction score
17,368
I wore this suit with a baby blue shirt, mostly yellow silk tie and a lighter yellow/baby blue/sky blue pocket square on New Year's and it turned out nice. I'll be going to a holiday party in several days and I want a different look.

Picture of what the suit looks like (on New Years)



Any ideas? I'm thinking a white shirt, knit burgundy tie and dark green-ish pocket square. Or maybe white shirt, brown tie and lighter blue pocket square.
 

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2005
Messages
6,134
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
I wore this suit with a baby blue shirt, mostly yellow silk tie and a lighter yellow/baby blue/sky blue pocket square on New Year's and it turned out nice. I'll be going to a holiday party in several days and I want a different look. Picture of what the suit looks like (on New Years)
Any ideas? I'm thinking a white shirt, knit burgundy tie and dark green-ish pocket square. Or maybe white shirt, brown tie and lighter blue pocket square.

Gee, you're a true sartorial risk taker
There isnt a day shirt you cant wear with this, get a strong stripe or a gingham check and have some fun.
 

JFKJean

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2009
Messages
295
Reaction score
1
I like the idea of the 1st look..or if you have a pink shirt (this works best with a light palette) instead of the white to funk it up a bit
 

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Messages
18,399
Reaction score
17,368
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Gee, you're a true sartorial risk taker


There isnt a day shirt you cant wear with this, get a strong stripe or a gingham check and have some fun.


I am completely down for fun. Just need some ideas.
I love trying new things, just don't have a ton of cash to throw around on ideas that may flop (just bought a house...)
 

JFKJean

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2009
Messages
295
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by JFKJean
I like the idea of the 1st look..or if you have a pink shirt (this works best with a light palette) instead of the white to funk it up a bit


....or better yet, if your not too crazy about the pink and green PS together, go back to the blue PS from your 2nd idea
 

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Messages
18,399
Reaction score
17,368
Originally Posted by JFKJean
....or better yet, if your not too crazy about the pink and green PS together, go back to the blue PS from your 2nd idea

Interesting... thanks. Going to compile ideas for now.
 

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Messages
18,399
Reaction score
17,368
Anyone have a nice source for a sub-$50 gingham pink shirt and sub-$30 navy dotted tie (preferably knit)?

Thanks!
 

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2005
Messages
6,134
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Anyone have a nice source for a sub-$50 gingham pink shirt and sub-$30 navy dotted tie (preferably knit)? Thanks!
Try Prowse and hargood, Harvie and Hudson and, if you're really strapped, even TM Lewin knit ties? Drakes knits are going to be more than that...hmm. One of the knit fans here will be able to steer you for that.
 

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Messages
18,399
Reaction score
17,368
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Try Prowse and hargood, Harvie and Hudson and, if you're really strapped, even TM Lewin

knit ties? Drakes knits are going to be more than that...hmm. One of the knit fans here will be able to steer you for that.


Thanks a lot. What are delivery times like for these companies?
 

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Messages
18,399
Reaction score
17,368
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Fast

OK, that's good. Quality wise... are these above most Nordstrom brands? I'm really not familiar with these companies at all. I appreciate your help.
 

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Messages
18,399
Reaction score
17,368
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
I posted a similar thread recently, although mine is a pinstripe. the responses may give you some ideas for your suit, as well:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=86442


Thanks.

Does anyone have experience with Prowse and Hargood shirts? Good, bad, ugly?

Also, still looking for a good place to get knit/grenadine ties with well spaced out dots on them. Love those ties.
 

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2002
Messages
3,905
Reaction score
1,915
grenadine ties, check out bensilver.com or better selection of colors at samhober.com

as for shirts, highly recommend you check out your size on www.shopthefinest.com
Just about any brand on that site is a great buy, can't think of any exception to that rule.
 

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Messages
18,399
Reaction score
17,368
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
grenadine ties, check out bensilver.com or better selection of colors at samhober.com

as for shirts, highly recommend you check out your size on www.shopthefinest.com
Just about any brand on that site is a great buy, can't think of any exception to that rule.


Thanks. A bit too much for my blood for now.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 128 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 234 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 115 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 66 9.0%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 46 6.3%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 23 3.1%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 21 2.9%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 15 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 6 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 7 1.0%
  • 100+

    Votes: 47 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,552
Messages
9,219,842
Members
193,558
Latest member
makeriy
Top