1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Midnight blue dinner jacket, what color bow tie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by itsstillmatt, Oct 11, 2006.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks. In satin? Seems like something smooth is in order.

Mariano refuses to trim my midnight blue dinner suit with black grosgrain. He says that's what singers wear. I'm sad because I thought the contrast would be cool.

Black grosgrain.

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Black grosgrain.

Is that why they call it black tie?

- B

3. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Black grosgrain.

Is that why they call it black tie?

Won't black grosgrain clash with the midnight blue grosgrain trim on the jacket?

4. videocrew

videocrew Senior member

Won't black grosgrain clash with the midnight blue grosgrain trim on the jacket?
    I'd think it would. I think you can mix color AND texture here, but not color OR texture. So if you're doing blue grosgrain, I'd do blue grosgrain or black satin. I think their is a little danger of looking like Air Force mess dress if you do that much blue though.

5. voxsartoria

Yes, but that is part of the charm.

Eschew the colored bow for public events.

- B

6. chas

chas Senior member

none more BLACK

7. Bird's One View

Bird's One View Senior member

Thanks. In satin? Seems like something smooth is in order.

Mariano refuses to trim my midnight blue dinner suit with black grosgrain. He says that's what singers wear. I'm sad because I thought the contrast would be cool.

Tell him it is for karaoke parties.

8. voxsartoria

none more BLACK

[​IMG]

- B

9. fabrics

fabrics Member

I am interested in midnight blue DJ as well.

As I live in Asia, I think I should stick to sub-11 oz weight.

I am considering H.Lessor /Smith / Harrisons fabrics.

Would you please inform me the precise product numbers/pattern numbers of those midnight blue fabrics which are good for DJ. I ask for this precise information so that I will not select the WRONG fabric from the bunch.

Cheers,

10. amplifiedheat

amplifiedheat Senior member

Like there's a choice???

[​IMG]

What? I don't see a cummerb...oh, there it is.

11. DCPHIL

DCPHIL Senior member

Black. Especially if lapel is black, which is usually case with midnight blue tux's. BTW: I love a simple midnight blue tux. It reflects personal confidence, style and elegance. It's a plus not to look like everyone else imo.

12. R.O. Thornhill

R.O. Thornhill Senior member

Black. Turnbull & Asser makes nice sized ones

13. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

This is a reincarnating zombie thread. It's died what, 2 or 3 times, only to be revived by SF magic!

14. AvariceBespoke

AvariceBespoke Senior member

I like the midnight blue jacket w/ midnight blue lapels and the tie to be made of the same material of the lapels - not black. they will all look black in artifical light

15. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

I wonder if Matt made up his mind yet?

16. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior member

Ok, as the thread is already resurrected, I can post my question here, instead of opening a new one:

I recently bought a midnight blue velvet smoking jacket and now I am nor sure if the black tux pants, I planned to wear with it, are appropriate.

Of course I wouldn't hesitate to wear them with every other colored smoking jacket. But the matching of black and midnight blue seems strange to my eye. (although it was mentioned in this thread, that most midnight blue dinner suits have black facings...)

What do you guys think? Should I go for midnight blue pants instead or would this be too matchy? One part of the velvet smoking jacket look is the fact, that you don't match jacket and pants, right?

17. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

I recently bought a midnight blue velvet smoking jacket and now I am nor sure if the black tux pants, I planned to wear with it, are appropriate.

Of course I wouldn't hesitate to wear them with every other colored smoking jacket. But the matching of black and midnight blue seems strange to my eye. (although it was mentioned in this thread, that most midnight blue dinner suits have black facings...)

What do you guys think? Should I go for midnight blue pants instead or would this be too matchy? One part of the velvet smoking jacket look is the fact, that you don't match jacket and pants, right?

Are you planning to wear the smoking jacket as a smoking jacket or as a substitute dinner/tuxedo jacket?

18. in fits of print

in fits of print Well-Known Member

Ok, as the thread is already resurrected, I can post my question here, instead of opening a new one:

The smoking jacket is, theoretically, what you're putting on before or after you wear your "real" tuxedo jacket, so there's no reason it should match your pants. I don't think midnight blue pants would be too "matchy", since they'll look black, but if you've got a black tuxedo definitely wear the pants from those.

19. Dburr

Dburr Senior member

What? I don't see a cummerb...oh, there it is.
    This is worse that a tie and PS of the same fabric.

20. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

Isn't it obvious? if not blue tie nothing else really.