Midnight blue dinner jacket, what color bow tie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by itsstillmatt, Oct 11, 2006.

1. jml90

jml90 Senior member

Black.
    Yes that is right Nicholas M. Antongiovanni has given his blessing to the color not to be named (black)ladies and gentleman. Yes, the devil is outside and yes he is giving the neighborhood children free sleigh rides.

2. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Yes. It is a wool/mohair blend.

Good for a DJ as it should breathe well.

I wear a black bowtie with mine, and nobody's ever commented on a difference. MB and black don't look any more mismatched than tie and lapels in slightly different shades of black, which is what will happen anyway if they're not from the same fabric.

Which is actually a decent idea: if you're going bespoke, why not get a couple bowties made out of the facing material?

3. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

4. drax

drax Well-Known Member

To throw the midnight blue into relief. It works. But only if the suit is cut well and fits like a dream

5. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

I wear a black bowtie with mine, and nobody's ever commented on a difference. MB and black don't look any more mismatched than tie and lapels in slightly different shades of black, which is what will happen anyway if they're not from the same fabric.

Are you saying a black bowtie with a midnight blue lapel facing? Interesting, I hadn't ever considered that. Im going to take a gander at that combo. Theoretically it should look BETTER than a blue bowtie bc itll let everyone know that the dinner jacket is totally blue. I like this.

Which is actually a decent idea: if you're going bespoke, why not get a couple bowties made out of the facing material?

My opinion is that if it's midnight blue facings and bc it's so hard to find midnight blue grosgrain or barathea rtw bows that this is a good idea. However, it may look a little too studied to do it with the black facings when a slightly differing tie silk lends some degage to the ensemble.

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I think that I will go with black for the tie. It seems like the better choice. Does anybody know where you can get sized bowties nowadays?

Now I am just trying to figure out whether to go black or blue for the clothing. Any advice?

7. Popsandfriends

Popsandfriends Well-Known Member

Where do you ge a midnight blue tux anyways? I am very fond of the color...

8. A Y

A Y Senior member

I think there's a bunch of bow tie companies that will make sized bow ties. I used Carrot&Gibbs who will make sized bow ties, but encourages people to go with an adjustable (MOP buttons and 4 or 5 buttonholes, much nicer looking than a metal loop) in general because necks change sizes over time.

I find that it's interesting to adjust the length of the bow tie according to your mood, which affects how the bow looks: go shorter for a more disheveled, 3D, sprezzatura-filled bow, or longer for a neater, more orderly, flatter one.

Do you know what shape of bow tie (ie. batwing, butterfly, etc.) you want?

--Andre

9. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Where do you ge a midnight blue tux anyways? I am very fond of the color...
    You generally have to go custom to get one. They're pretty rare among RTW tuxes. The only ones I've ever seen were Kiton and Brioni.

10. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

You generally have to go custom to get one.

Or vintage.

11. A Y

A Y Senior member

You can get midnight blue MTM as well, like my Zegna.

--Andre

12. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

I just bought a dark blue Zegna tuxedo (1 button with peak lapel).

And it is near impossible to tell it is blue under artificial lighting. It is even difficult in full sunlight unless a black garment is held against it.

In that case I will wear black.

Perry

13. dah328

dah328 Senior member

The whole point of midnight blue is that it's near impossible to distinguish it from black unless directly compared to black in daylight. The point is that midnight blue looks better than black under dim or artificial light which is the only environment under which a tux should be worn as black tie affairs should not be held during the day.

14. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

As I've posted elsewhere here, you guys with the midnight blue dinner jackets (blue or black silk lapels or collar): what color formal trousers do you wear with them? Any of you wear black trousers with the midnight blue jacket?

15. A Y

A Y Senior member

Midnight blue from the same bolt of cloth. I think most people get their jackets and pants made at the same time.

--Andre