• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Midgrade Ties?

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question from a novitiate.

First things first: I'm not a total ignoramus. If I were looking for high-end ties, I would know at least to look for Sulka, Hermès, and Charvet; and perhaps Burberry and Turnbull & Asser. And then of course the Sam Hober ties, which have been on my mind for several months. But although I recently scored a beautiful NWT Sulka for only $5.50 on eBay (see attached picture, which is mostly for bragging purposes), and I do hope to pull the trigger on a Sam Hober sooner rather than later, for the most part I can't justify even the discounted prices on top-of-the-line neckwear. I'm beginning to seriously build my dress wardrobe for the first time (until recently, pretty much all I had was a navy blazer, a couple of made-to-measure shirts, and two pairs of nice slacks), and ties can't be such a high priority.

So that brings me to my question: what are some good midgrade tie brands? Preferably ones with a strong online presence. Just because I can't afford every Borrelli that pops up on my radar doesn't mean I want to be stuck pawing through the tie tables at Dillard's. (Unless you think that's a good way to go. I've gotten a decent tie or two that way, but I prefer online shopping at any rate.)

Or would I be better off simply buying fewer ties, but of higher quality? The part of my brain that lusts for the best of everything likes this course of action, but I'm not convinced.

rajesh06

Reaction score
I like XMI ties (generally available at Nordstrom) in the midgrade range.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep your eyes open at places like Marshalls and TJ Maxx. I've found some halfway decent ties there, including Altea, Ike Behar, Brooks Brothers, Ted Baker and Gianfranco Ferre. Certainly not at the top of the necktie pecking order, but decent buys for ~$20.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
XMI is a great suggestion, especially the Platinum line. Underappreciated tie makers also include Nicky, Drakes (available at STP), Breuer (IIRC Breuer makes ties for Facconable), and Canali. Edit: Also check www.fourinhand.com. Jonathan posts here as FIHties. His service is superb and I really like the way his ties knot.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were you, I would buy Altea at STP. $20-25 with a great return policy.

Thinman - Where can you find Nicky Milano ties online?

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. thinman: Jonathan has some very attractive ties, but some of them are still too rich for my blood at the moment. I'll definitely keep them in mind, though. I've been to the web site before, but this is the first time I really looked at the ties (strange as that sounds). Manton: The link isn't working. VG, pscolari: Great, I hadn't heard of Altea before. Okay, I apologize in advance for the change of subject, but visiting Four In Hand just now reminded me of something I'd been wondering since my first visit. Jonathan has a picture of a guy in a robin's egg-blue pinstripe suit on his web site; does anyone know where I can find a suit in this color combination? Or a maker who has this kind of fabric? I'll warrant it's bold, but it looks great in the picture.
Man-Dressed2.jpg
If anyone else has tie suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
If anyone else has tie suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
Thrift shops. It's quite easy to determine whether a second-hand tie is worn/stained/damaged or not, and the brands will normally tell you the rest. Out of my forty or so ties, I think I've bought two or three new.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Brooks Brothers ties represent a good value for the money. Most all their patterns are pleasing - you won't find some of the really gorgeous patterns/silks like you find with Borrelli/Kiton/Charvet, but on the other hand you don't see too many "WTF were they thinking" patterns.

They can easily be had on ebay for $20-$25, and at Marshalls for $14.99.

You can also find Altea ties at Marshalls and TJ Maxx for about $20.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
If I were you, I would buy Altea at STP. $20-25 with a great return policy.

I don't find Nicky ties online, except on ebay. My best source is NMLC. Also, I forgot to mention Brooks Brothers, particularly the irregulars sold at Marshalls (good call Vman). Just look over the irregulars at Marshalls very carefully. Many of them (most?) have snags or stains right on the front.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari

Me, on an inconsistent basis.

Seriously, given the discounted prices of ties, I wouldn't really mess with the mid-market brands unless you really like the pattern or have a dire need for a particular color or pattern in your wardrobe. That being said a $25-50 budget will afford all almost tie makers (Hober, FIH, Canali, Zegna, RLPL, etc) excluding seven folds by Talbott, Kiton, and Chuck.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
Manton: The link isn't working.
Odd, it's down now, but it worked when I posted. Maybe it will be back shortly.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
Me, on an inconsistent basis.

Seriously, given the discounted prices of ties, I wouldn't really mess with the mid-market brands unless you really like the pattern or have a dire need for a particular color or pattern in your wardrobe. That being said a $25-50 budget will afford all almost tie makers (Hober, FIH, Canali, Zegna, RLPL, etc) excluding seven folds by Talbott, Kiton, and Chuck.

Thanks. I will keep my eye out. A few months ago I picked up some Nicky ties at FB in Boston for about 40 each and last week grabbed a beautiful white/green/red linen pocket square for $14 from FB as well.

Sorry for the partial hijack.

Back to this regularly scheduled thread.

wheelerray

Reaction score
I am really bad at choosing ties off the internet--they never match as intended.

I get XMI at Nordstrom Rack for $20, Zegna for $30, and Robert Talbot Best of Class for $34.00. This is about 1/3 the original retail, so a pretty good deal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads