• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Middle of the Road Brands....help...

Uberjebus

Reaction score
This site is absolutely massive and I'm hoping I can get a few links to some info without getting flamed and directed to 'search' function, which I have used and numerous brands are brought up that I simply do not have access to from here. Options are extremely limited. I'm not going to be able to hit an outlet store anytime soon.

I'm looking for middle of the road brands for suits and dress casual. Stuff that isn't going to cost me a fortune and is of decent quality. If I could afford Saville Row I'd be there now. I know precious little about brands and their quality etc. Right now my staple shirt is t-shirts from Old Navy and jeans.. 2 pairs total and both Levi.

I had been looking at J Crew but it seems, as I just read a thread on the matter, that their quality is suspect, hit and miss at best.

As I now live in Norther Ontario (middle of nowhere) online ordering will likely be the way to go. Looking to start picking up a couple of shirts with real buttons and collars, at least one a month so I will no longer be mistaken for one of the local panhandlers. Perhaps a sport jacket.....

Anyhoo any help, links, advice would be greatly appreciated.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How much do you want to spend? In the range of $500-1k on suits, most often recommended options are SuitSupply, Brooks Brothers, Benjamin suits from eHaberdasher. Kent Wang just started up a made to measure program that looks promising. This will then require some patience on your part. But for all of these you'll likely have to order online and return if it doesn't fit. Free shipping both ways is available at SuitSupply, not sure about the others. Good luck.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's your price range? You can get Hickey Freeman for about $500. Benjamin in another option

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
price is a huge factor here like U pointed out. From what ive seen, the stuff suit supply is puttin gout is great, plus hte ability to return if it doesnt fit is HUGE. also keep an eye on B&S here.

Uberjebus

Reaction score
$500-700 range for suit. Dress shirts $100 or less.

hrb

Reaction score
Have to + 1 for suit supply, based on what i've seen. Ignore the childish website and current ad campaign. Will leave the shirt discussion for someone else though it might be worth routing through pictures here and elsewhere to get a better understanding of what brand, and shirt attributes, suit you.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait............
So far the only useful information I see is '$500-700 range for suit. Dress shirts $100 or less.' and 'Northern Ontario'

I have a few questions for you:
1) Where, specifically in Northern Ontario are you? (Example- Thunder Bay)
2) Are you able to make a trip to Toronto? and if so, when?
3) Your age
4) Your build (height, weight and overall build)
5) The intended use for the suit
6) The intended use for a sport coat
7) What season(s) will the clothes be used in that you can forsee?
8) Are you also in need of shoes, be it casual, dress casual, dress or formal?
9) Do you already know your clothing sizes or are you just learning?
10) Will you be in need of accessories? (example- belt)

Please take a moment and provide this information that we may assist you better, thank you.
Welcome to Styleforum.

Last edited:

Uberjebus

Reaction score

Wait............
So far the only useful information I see is '$500-700 range for suit. Dress shirts $100 or less.' and 'Northern Ontario'
I have a few questions for you:
1) Where, specifically in Northern Ontario are you? (Example- Thunder Bay)
2) Are you able to make a trip to Toronto? and if so, when?
3) Your age
4) Your build (height, weight and overall build)
5) The intended use for the suit
6) The intended use for a sport coat
7) What season(s) will the clothes be used in that you can forsee?
8) Are you also in need of shoes, be it casual, dress casual, dress or formal?
9) Do you already know your clothing sizes or are you just learning?
10) Will you be in need of accessories? (example- belt)
Please take a moment and provide this information that we may assist you better, thank you.
Welcome to Styleforum.

Here goes...
1) BINGO
2) Not anytime soon. Minneapolis more likely, maybe early/late fall
3) 40+
4) 6' 3" 215 avg build
5) Just to look cool. I don't wear one for work so I need not look business-like
6) For everyday wear
7) Year round, suits less likely in winter
8) Yes. I have one pair Clark Desert Boots... that's it
9) I know what sizes I wear for the most part, of course that changes a bit by brand. I couldn't give you my measurements for a suit off the top of my head, but I know I'm 44L
10) Yes... I have one belt :(

Looking to start piece at a time, buying slowly as budget allows.

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know I'm 44L

This may be knowledge that is less certain than you think. Most people buy jackets with shoulders that are far too large, so unless you've been real careful about that you may have been misled. Also, if you're looking for a "fashion" approach for the suiting, then sizing down may be appropriate.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you come down to Minneapolis we have some decent spots. A Nordstrom, Neimans, a few nice Nordstrom Racks, Off 5th, a BB store or two, Hubert Whites, Heimie's Haberdashery to name a couple places. Plus no sales tax on clothes! I got a Canali Kei SC for $250 the other day at the rack... beautiful piece!

If you time it right you could hit a pre-holiday sale too!

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Appears you're getting recommendations for suits you don't need; you need regular day-to-day clothes, don't ya? I'm not a fan of jcrew shirts at $70 - $90, but they always have several shirts on sale at $40 - $50 which is okay - just keep checking the website. When BB goes on sale you can get some good OCBD for $60 - $70. You can find a wide array of NWT stuff from a variety of high-quality makers on ebay easily - study the looks here, ID the makers you like, and use ebay's saved-search email option. Pick up a couple of polo shirts from Kent Wang. For pants go w/ a light beige (stone/taupe), tan, navy in cotton and a light grey wool. Flat front, slim, well-made such as Incotex, Mabitex, PT01 or GTA you can find for $100 - $150, and sometimes as low as $60 - $80. If you have the spare cash now is good time to buy wool sweaters on sale, and based on your size L and XL are often available. Keep your Clark's for casual, and pick up a decent pair of tan or dark brown brogues for a dressier look.

jammyo40

Reaction score

Appears you're getting recommendations for suits you don't need; you need regular day-to-day clothes, don't ya? I'm not a fan of jcrew shirts at $70 - $90, but they always have several shirts on sale at $40 - $50 which is okay - just keep checking the website. When BB goes on sale you can get some good OCBD for $60 - $70. You can find a wide array of NWT stuff from a variety of high-quality makers on ebay easily - study the looks here, ID the makers you like, and use ebay's saved-search email option. Pick up a couple of polo shirts from Kent Wang. For pants go w/ a light beige (stone/taupe), tan, navy in cotton and a light grey wool. Flat front, slim, well-made such as Incotex, Mabitex, PT01 or GTA you can find for $100 - $150, and sometimes as low as $60 - $80. If you have the spare cash now is good time to buy wool sweaters on sale, and based on your size L and XL are often available. Keep your Clark's for casual, and pick up a decent pair of tan or dark brown brogues for a dressier look.

I'd say the advice presented ITT was rather good.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here goes...
1) BINGO
2) Not anytime soon. Minneapolis more likely, maybe early/late fall
3) 40+
4) 6' 3" 215 avg build
5) Just to look cool. I don't wear one for work so I need not look business-like
6) For everyday wear
7) Year round, suits less likely in winter
8) Yes. I have one pair Clark Desert Boots... that's it
9) I know what sizes I wear for the most part, of course that changes a bit by brand. I couldn't give you my measurements for a suit off the top of my head, but I know I'm 44L
10) Yes... I have one belt :(

Looking to start piece at a time, buying slowly as budget allows.

Thank you for your patience in answering the questions.
For starters, I would recommend surfing the websites of Brooks Brothers for sport coats, Allen Edmonds for shoes and if out-sourcing is not an issue for you, try Banana Republic for shirts. Try to have $2,000.00 - $2,500.00 for overall budget and you'll just make it. Do homework on clearance centres in or close to the area you'll be visiting as well and be aware of possible sales.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads