• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

middle east

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Starting friday im off with a friend to do some backpacking in the middle east. Starting in Tel aviv we're planning to go to Jerusalem, Haifa, Nazareth, jerash, ammam, the dead sea, Aqaba, sharm el sheik, hurghada, luxor and cairo... I guess that paints a rough path we're going to follow.

I know that backpacking isnt exactly the way of travelling that a sartorial person would undertake but since we cant afford our own train of carriers its the best way to see as much as we can in three weeks.

My question is, are there any must see sites that ive missed in the above and is there stuff that we really should'nt leave home without in that region?

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nootje
My question is, are there any must see sites that ive missed in the above and is there stuff that we really should'nt leave home without in that region?

Kalashnikov.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nothing you shouldnt leave home with in israel. not really sure about the others. if you can try to go to acco. its just north of haifa. if you go to the old part, its a fortress surrounded by walls where napoleon tried to take over and was fought off. its very interesting. anything else you need to know you can pm, also talk to globetrotter, he would know more.

zupermaus

Reaction score
Do check out Islamic Cairo, the worlds greatest surviving medieval city. Its one of the poorest parts of Cairo, but also the safest urban area in the world apparently, so don't be put off (Cairo as a whole has stupidly low crime rates). However do be aware of tourist touts, especially people on camels - don't even take a picture.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
acco and islamic cairo noted, thanks!

Walter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nootje
acco and islamic cairo noted, thanks!

If you are that close, you should not miss Lebanon. Great country, with its mix of communities, good food and sites like Baalbek.

lithium180

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Walter
If you are that close, you should not miss Lebanon. Great country, with its mix of communities, good food and sites like Baalbek.

Pretty tough to get to Lebanon without going through Syria (or possibly Cyprus?) first. And impossible to get there from Israel as far as I know. All of my friends who've backpacked through the former two have gone to Syria first.

As someone said above, I don't think there's much from the Western world that you can't get once you're in Israel and Jordan.

Have a great time!

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont think its a good idea to go to lebanon or syria with an israeli stamp on your passport.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
let me try to do this briefly-

J'lem - see the old city, church of holy sepecure, dome of rock, western wall, walk around the walls. yad vashem - must do. rockerfeller museum. eat at stakiat hazot on agripas, and go to the open fod market on agripas.

tel aviv - go to the sicillian ice cream place on ibn gvirol, go to the beach, hit some clubs, what ever is in now.

haifa - go to akko and see the old city, the bahai garden is pretty spectacular. I would go, from haifa, and see the ruins at armigedon (miggido) and possibly bet shan.

I would go to the dead sea, possibly see masada, while you are in J'lem.

you can cross into Jordan by bet shan

jarash is fanstastic, Amman isn't that spectacular, but it is a nice city. I would recomend eating at Reem resteraunt, and having a few water pipes in the outdoor cafes, prefereably in shmesani

don't miss petra, seriously, I would skip amman, aqaba and jarahs before I would miss petra

aqaba is ok, nothing that special, though

in sharm el sheikh, spend at least one evening in the "city center" - not so big, but pretty wild. if you are into russian hookers, you may find it a nice place to be. I had a technical training there last year, and all of the students were running out every night to the brothels in town.

Cairo - obviously the pyramids and the Egypt museum. if you want a little cheap luxury, stay at the shepard hotel in Cairo. I would suggest that you plan a full day at the museum, and a full day at the pyramids. take a guide for the museum, it is worth it. have dinner on a boat on the nile.

lithium180

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
That is ridiculous. It is not like High School where if you sit next to one person at lunch, the other guys won't let you sit with them.

Actually it is. If you get an Israeli stamp on your passport there is no way you are getting in to Syria or Lebanon.

A good place to search for common backpacking questions with up to date answers is the Thorn Tree message board:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/index.jspa

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
That is ridiculous. It is not like High School where if you sit next to one person at lunch, the other guys won't let you sit with them.

thats pretty naive of you to think.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks globetrotter! , ill make sure to post some pics when I get back
smile.gif

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
theres a nice reseraunt/hookah bar on the beach in tel aviv.

Walter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lithium180
Actually it is. If you get an Israeli stamp on your passport there is no way you are getting in to Syria or Lebanon.

A good place to search for common backpacking questions with up to date answers is the Thorn Tree message board:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/index.jspa

When you go to Israel and you plan to go somewhere else in the region, ask them to put their stamp on a separate page. They will. I would not want an Israeli stamp in my passport anyway. (too much hassle if you then want to go to arab ountries)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads