• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mid-priced brands

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I think having a runway fashion show is a pretty good indicator of whether the brand has hopes or intentions of playing in the high-end, especially from the get-go, as Doma, Geller, etc have done.

Band of Outsiders is pretty expensive, FWIW, but traditionally have not been a runway show brand, am I correct? I am not too familiar with the brand and only know the shirts and general pricepoints from browsing.

I agree with you, but there are definite grey cases. For example, Rag&Bone, which I place squarely in the contemporary market, has been doing runway shows for a while, and designers have been doing runway shows for their diffusion lines (aimed squarely at the midmarket) for a long time - DKNY, Marc Marc Jacobs, etc...

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think the most intresting point is the difference between Japanese mid-market and western mid... the west traditionalyl treated midmarket as major label diffusion, etc, and now the solid performance of Japanese midmarket has allowed American mid market (especially independents) to flourish... but the Japanese midmarket is so mature that it's allowing for established, mature mid market brands to ascend to the high end; Julius and Attachment will never be dyed in the wool high end brands to me because I remember them back in 2003, 2004, 2005, as Men's Non-no midmarket brands, but they're beginning to command prices that they didn't a few years ago. N. Hoolywood/Mister Hollywood has been cool for a long time, but it's also maturing.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the most intresting point is the difference between Japanese mid-market and western mid... the west traditionalyl treated midmarket as major label diffusion, etc, and now the solid performance of Japanese midmarket has allowed American mid market (especially independents) to flourish... but the Japanese midmarket is so mature that it's allowing for established, mature mid market brands to ascend to the high end; Julius and Attachment will never be dyed in the wool high end brands to me because I remember them back in 2003, 2004, 2005, as Men's Non-no midmarket brands, but they're beginning to command prices that they didn't a few years ago. N. Hoolywood/Mister Hollywood has been cool for a long time, but it's also maturing.

Interesting. I never saw it quite that way. I always equated the rise of American midmarket independents with the "premium" denim trend, which really highlighted the demand for, and the deficit of, domestic sub-designer brands in the North American market. A lot of the brands in that market today started as denim brands, and branched out - Rag&Bone, Corpus, etc... all founded in the early 2000s. Previous to that, most of the mid-market brands available were from Europe, and especially from Italy.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I think Julius, Attachment, etc. will never really be dyed in the wool high end brands also because they're always a season or two behind, and rarely inventive. There's nothing wrong with where they're at, Juun J's brand cachet and design method is very similar as has been discussed plenty in relevant threads (Raf that Raf doesn't wanna do no more, etc.) and as many know I think some of his joints are slick. They work as Men's Non-No brands, it's all a bit safer than the latest Raf, Rick, etc. Though Julius is slowly deviating as their prices rise and the designs become more and more their own unique aesthetic - you can definitely see where they want to take the label in the future. And I agree N. Hoolywood is continuing to look better (minus SS 2008 which wasn't so hot imo). I also see the American mid-market as an expansion of the premium denim market as you do, Fok. Some labels (like Band of Outsiders) do follow more closely to the Japanese model, though. I think Spurr will probably head in that direction if they continue to pick up steam.

svelten

Reaction score
Nonsense, Hermes is squarely low-price aspiring to be mid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads