• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mid or Light Gray Suit for Summer?

Al Shosty

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm dreaming of a post-COVID world, and in particular of a gray post-COVID summer suit. I'll only have the budget for mid or light gray, and I'm specifically looking at these 2 from suitsupply:

https://suitsupply.com/en-us/men/suits/light-grey-lazio-suit/P5293MI.html light)
https://suitsupply.com/en-gb/men/suits/mid-grey-lazio-suit/P5294.html (mid)

I'm not sure which colour would be more versatile for work (I'm in my 20s working in the City of London) and play (probably with white sneakers or loafers with a black t-shirt). Beyond versatility, I also wanted to get your opinions on which suit could lead to the most striking/dazzling outfits because at the end of the day, I'd rather go for a suit that gives me 2 10/10 looks than one that gives me 10 8/10 looks.

Finally, do you have any alternatives to these 2? I was thinking that the ideal suit colour would be something like what this person is wearing here (), but I would like to remain within a budget of an absolute maximum of £300 before alterations.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Reaction score
You have the mid and light switched it looks like.

Of the two, I prefer the mid grey. I also think it is probably the more versatile. Grey is pretty easy to make combinations with.

That styling video makes my head hurt. That tie bar is awful (and awfully short). It makes me sad she is hawking a $5 tie with a $5000 watch.

Al Shosty

Reaction score
You have the mid and light switched it looks like.

Of the two, I prefer the mid grey. I also think it is probably the more versatile. Grey is pretty easy to make combinations with.

That styling video makes my head hurt. That tie bar is awful (and awfully short). It makes me sad she is hawking a $5 tie with a $5000 watch.
Thank you for pointing out the error in the parentheses. I'm leaning towards mid-gray as well, especially as I wouldn't really know which shoe colour to wear with the light gray. I also have a lot of other clothes I could wear during the day in a non-suit environment (a change in the dress code is a possibility that's being discussed at the office after covid), whereas my night-time summer wardrobe is sorely lacking and mid-gray would probably fit that bill better.

The styling video definitely leaves something to be desired, but the colour of the suit itself is what attracted me to it, not the red tie and brown shoes. I sometimes feel like a lot of these fashion Youtubers push out content with outfits they would never actually wear themselves, but that's a separate point ...

ValidusLA

Reaction score
Mid Grey is a pretty safe overall choice for anyone. You can delve into color theory etc, but mid grey is a great overall choice.

johng70

Reaction score
I agree - mid grey is more versatile. So, if you only have one I would go with mid.

adrianvo

Reaction score
SuitSupply currently have many suits in tropical wool available within your budget, check them out as well as they have patch pockets (I personally find them more relaxed and "summery").

I personally think earth tones are the best for summer, but that's a matter of taste.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both are nice colors. To my eye, the light gray is better. For one thing, mid gray blends in with its surroundings; everyone has a mid gray suit.
The lighter gray will stand out a bit more. Perhaps not as versatile, but versatility and 10/10 looks don’t always go hand in hand. Also, with lighter gray you’ll be able to go with lighter colors for a shirt and/or tight. A light pink color would pair well with light gray whereas with mid gray, it would contrast too much.

at least that’s how my eye sees it.

Al Shosty

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for all the advice, especially Phileas Fogg for the contrarian opinion. I've decided to just go to the store and try each of them on. I'm 80% sure on the mid-gray, but sometimes you can't tell what the exact shade is until you try it out in person.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Personally don't like the idea of either of those suits worn with a black t-shirt and sneakers. But if you really want to do something like that, the light grey will be marginally better. I think both are better as "serious suits," and in that category, the darker, more somber mid-gray will be better. It's something you can wear to serious events and work.

A lighter grey suit can be a third or fourth purchase down the road if you're the kind of person who needs to wear suits to work.

Also would not try to create "dazzling" outfits with those suits. The point of a grey suit is to create a serious, somber look. White shirt, dark tie, black shoes. It can be a very good look for work, and in a pinch, sometimes nice bars and restaurants.

Resist the temptation to make #menswear outfits.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats

Results are only viewable after voting.