• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mid-2015 Clothing Thoughts - Have Your Views on CM Changed and Why

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last year I put together a mid-year clothing insight thread (http://www.styleforum.net/t/405006/mid-2014-clothing-insights-a-year-in-the-life-of-a-sf-wardrobe), where I tracked a lot of what I wore and how often certain things came out versus others. I was originally going to just update it with some new data, but it occurred to me that my clothing philosophy has changed a bit and I am now much more content to be a bit more casually dressed when the situation does not require a jacket and tie. Part of it may be that, having spent a lot more time working from home vs. in an office, I've dressed up a good bit less. I've also been investing in some nicer casual clothing, continuing to build up my sweater collection, etc. Perhaps that's one of the reasons.

Dinner Jacket - 4x this year vs. 6x the prior year
Suit and Tie - 33x this year vs. 73x the prior year
Odd Jacket and Tie - 63x this year vs. 83x the prior year
Odd Jacket Sans Tie - 56x this year vs. 62x the prior year
No Jacket No Tie - 209x this year vs. 141x the prior year

I upped my trouser game a bit over the last 12 months (July 18, 2014 to July 17, 2015), but have not purchased any new odd jackets or suits despite having a theoretical one in one out plus one policy. My current wardrobe includes seven suits (including a tan linen suit that lets me wear the jacket separately), one dinner jacket and twelve odd jackets. I figure if I put on a suit, tuxedo or sport coat 150x a year and have 20 pieces, that means each piece gets worn 7.5x a year on average (of course I wear the hell out of my RAF wool / linen suit in summer, my navy blazers in all seasons and my blue Donegal and gun check tweed odd jackets in winter) while a lot of things sit on the shelf. Practically, I can't justify getting additional tailored clothing. A few more sweaters and continuing to upgrade trousers and shirts, probably. Replacing a couple things with more versatile options and perhaps higher quality items, probably. But actually growing the wardrobe itself. At least for the rest of this year and next year, no.

So the TL:DR version of this is, "has your philosophy towards clothing acquisitions, classic menswear and the like changed over the past year and why?"

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So the TL:DR version of this is, "has your philosophy towards clothing acquisitions, classic menswear and the like changed over the past year and why?"

I've come to realize that you don't need a large wardrobe in today's society. I plan on enjoying the clothes that I have accumulated over a 3 year period and focus on the other pleasures of life. TRAVEL.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair point, @lordsuperb. If I were not a clothes person, I'd probably be really happy with one tuxedo, four suits (navy and charcoal for F/W, RAF and medium grey for S/S), two navy blazers (one F/W, one S/S), two tweed jackets and one summer sport coat other than the navy blazer. I actually put together a 15 piece (meaning suit or odd jacket) wardrobe plan (vs. my current 20) and think I'd be very content with it. No real point getting rid of things for no reason (like making room for something new), though.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fair point, @lordsuperb. If I were not a clothes person, I'd probably be really happy with one tuxedo, four suits (navy and charcoal for F/W, RAF and medium grey for S/S), two navy blazers (one F/W, one S/S), two tweed jackets and one summer sport coat other than the navy blazer. I actually put together a 15 piece (meaning suit or odd jacket) wardrobe plan (vs. my current 20) and think I'd be very content with it. No real point getting rid of things for no reason (like making room for something new), though.

I think we have about the same size wardrobe, but I went the opposite route instead of buying the staples. I purchased a mid grey and pinstripe for work, 2 flannels (glenn plaid and grey check) and a mohair 3 piece for fun. I despise navy blazers so I went with a glenn plaid and houndstooth sport coat for fun and casual dress. My latest order and most likely the last order for sometime was a mohair tuxedo. I don't plan on making any more big purchases until I've grown tired of the clothes I currently have. This will also give me some time to gather samples and think about my next purchase a few years down the road.

If I wasn't into this stuff I would say this site and these pursuits are madness!

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would rate myself as an "intermediate" in the world of dressing well. I'm no longer putting together the laughable concoctions I debuted with on this site a couple of years ago. At the same time, I'm not consistently achieving the standard of excellence I see from plenty of other members on this forum.

However, I have noticed certain changes in the way I dress over these past twelve months. Firstly, I'm doing a lot more one- and two-pattern fits than I used to, and even the occasional one with only solid blocks. This might be more to do with the way my purchasing has changed. I simply had too many windowpane suits, striped shirts and patterned trousers, so I deliberately sought out solid (mainly light blue) shirts, plain trousers and un-patterned suits and jackets.

When I do patterned fits, I've learned to vary the scales to avoid clashes. And I think my colour coordination is gradually improving too.

Looking at my own gallery, I see certain themes emerging: (1) tweedy, earthy, textured fits gravitating firmly toward the "rural" end of the coherence spectrum; (2) classic suit fits in solids and/or dark colours; (3) peacockry - a bad habit I can't shake (and maybe I don't really want to shake).

I agree in principle with Archie's "one-in, one-out" rule, especially as my wardrobe space is now all used up. But I've been lazy. I did send a big box of clothes off to Spoo a few months back, but I need to start racking up some sales on the Bay, and be firm about it. No reserve, no "buy it now" price, just post the damn thing and if it sells for pennies, so be it. I have probably three suits, two jackets, a couple of hats, a few ties, and one overcoat I could get rid of this way. I don't think there's much of a market for second-hand shoes, so the 3-4 pairs I need to dispose of will probably go to a charity.

Haven't had any luck on B&S here. Seems to be more for part-time dealers with ticketed, brand-new items to peddle.

The above are just some off-the-cuff thoughts. I might have more to contribute later.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads