• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michigan v. Ohio State: Will they meet twice this year?

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If, at the end of the season, Michigan and OSU are ranked 1st and 2nd, the order doesn't matter, they could play a second time for the National Championship in January.

That would be fantastic! We can beat the Buckeyes TWICE instead of once!

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clarinetplayer
If, at the end of the season, Michigan and OSU are ranked 1st and 2nd, the order doesn't matter, they could play a second time for the National Championship in January.

That would be fantastic! We can beat the Buckeyes TWICE instead of once!

I don't really see that happening. Whoever loses will drop quite a bit, probably to 5-6 in the BCS, and while other teams could potentially lose for the otehr team to rise back up to #2, it seems very very unlikely. Then again, stranger things have happened.

mrpologuy

Reaction score
I can't see th eloser dropping much. USC, Florida, and Auburn will lose and drop back. USC is hanging ona nd barely winning their games. West Virginia plays a weak schedule and doesn't belong in a BCS game. We have a few weak teams before OSU. If we stay focused we should go into the OSU game undefeated. It should be a hell of a game.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
No - the winner of the big game will likely end up playing for the National Title here in Phoenix. The loser likely goes to one of the other BCS bowl games, because there's a whole crowd of other teams ready to jump back in the game.

I would say if it's a choice of one-loss teams, than Notre Dame or Texas have a better chance than either Michigan or the Buckeyes - and if ND is a one loss team, that means they beat USC, so they're likely the frontrunner.

It's possible that Michigan or Ohio State could be out here to play in the Fiesta Bowl, but I would bet that the Rose Bowl will grab the loser of that game to keep some tradition alive. If Notre Dame beats USC, I'd predict the Rose Bowl will be USC vs. the loser of Michigan/Ohio State.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. Winner of Michigan-Ohio State will be in the championship game playing (most likely) either USC or West Virginia, loser will be in the Rose Bowl.

If a one-loss team is in the championship game over an undefeated West Virginia, something is definitely rotten in the BCS.

mrpologuy

Reaction score
Even if West Virginia is undefeated they don't belong in the title game because they play in such a weak conference and would get their butts kicked by any other BCS team. I can see USC loosing maybe 2 games. They still have to play Oregon, Cal and the Irish. They have been lucky to win this far.

raley

Reaction score
The winner of WVU/Lousiville is going to be undefeated most likely. A loss really hurts a lot, it seems like it would be hard for a one loss team to be ranked above a no-loss team in the BCS (that isn't in a really minor conference).

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are we (wolverines) doing this year?

Last year when I was actually still in U of M, we were freakin horrible. Did the losing season give them any well needed experience?

raley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
How are we (wolverines) doing this year?

Last year when I was actually still in U of M, we were freakin horrible. Did the losing season give them any well needed experience?

They are good, but OSU is going to kill them
smile.gif

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The national championship game will be played next Saturday in Columbus. It is appropriate to remember the words of the late Bob Ufer: Do you remember when Woody Hayes came to Ann Arbor with a team that was billed as the Dream Team of the 1960’s? Heralded as one of the greatest teams in the 100 year history of intercollegiate football? Riding a 22 game winning streak? No Michigan man will ever forget that." That was Saturday November 22, 1969, The day Ohio came to bury Michigan, all wrapped in maize and blue, The words were said, the prayers were read, and everybody cried, But when they closed the coffin, there was someone else inside. Oh the Buckeyes came to bury the Wolverines, but Michigan wasn’t dead. And when the game was over, it was someone else instead! 22 Michigan Wolverines put on the gloves of grey, and as Revelli played ‘The Victors’ buried Woody Hayes away!”

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clarinetplayer, awesome poem and story.

Let's hope for a big 10 national champion this year.

mrpologuy

Reaction score
If the game is close they should have them play again in the title game. If it is not close they will not play again this season. It should be a great game. I still think whatever team looses is still the best one loss team in the country.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like rematches. Suppose the loser of next week's game gets a rematch in the BCS championship game and wins. Why does that team have any more claim to the championship than the team that won the first game, particularly if the second game is closer than the first?

If USC beats Cal, the winner of the USC-Notre Dame game is likely to be in the championship game.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think in this situation the rematch is almost fair as the one loss team will have played the best team already as opposed to USC who lost to an unranked Oregon State. The way I see it, USC loses to Cal this weekend, and then beats Notre Shame, West Virginia beats Rutgers and Florida loses one more time leaving no other one loss teams except either Michigan or Ohio St. Either way, this Saturday's game in the national championship game.

GO BLUE!

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, Kirk Herbstreit, former OSU QB, will be one of the "impartial" commentators in the ABC broadcast booth on Saturday. How impartial!

Let's see, what did good old Kirk have to say about Michigan's Steve Breaston?

"(Receiver Steve) Breaston can go back to whatever he's doing these days, if they could ever find a way to actually apply him in the offense. He's worthless in my mind, outside of returning a few punts. I'll say that, and he'll end up winning the game for them on Nov. 18. But he hasn't done anything since his freshman year."

Let's see. Who was it that got 103 receiving yards last Saturday, including a 62 yard touchdown? And an 83 yard punt return? Could it have been someone named Steve Breaston?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads