1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Michigan v. Ohio State: Will they meet twice this year?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by clarinetplayer, Oct 17, 2006.

1. DShareef

DShareef Senior member

I'd like to blow up the BCS personally. I have to admit, I am a huge Michigan fan. Have been for 20+ years. That said, I think I can say with enough objectivity that Michigan got screwed. Michigan's Defense played their worst game of the year by quite a bit. I don't think David Harris made a play all day. Did anyone hear the name Alan Branch or Lamar Woodley during the game. That won't happen again. Of the 11 consistenly on the field on defense, 7 are high draft choices. They can go athlete for athlete with anyone. And, frankly, Michigan's offense can go punch for punch with Ohio States. Actually, they did even with Tressel outcoaching Carr, again.

I respect the SEC, I do. However, this was a down year for the best conference in college football. Georgia stinks this year. Tennessee was overrated. Auburn was way overrated. Arkansas was solid when McFadden was healthy but when he isn't 100%, they are only above average. The only very good team other than Florida, in the conference was LSU. This seems like a makeup call for Auburn being left out a few years ago.

What did the coaches see on Saturday that meritted Floriday overtaking Michigan? I saw the game. Nothing!

Vegas has Michigan as a 7 point favorite in a game between Michigan and Florida. If they played, Michigan would thump.

Those that voted with the "not wanting to see a rematch" as their primary issue should be stripped of their voting status. Same with the, "you shouldn't be in the game if you aren't even good enough to win your conference" bs. Such false logic. Is it not possible for a team to be both the second best team in it's conference and in the country? The singular objective of the BCS is and should be matching the best two teams in the championship game. This year, the answer is clear. Michigan and Ohio State.

2. lhooq

lhooq Senior member

Just out of curiosity, how could Vegas have UM by 7 over UF? 7 in what? How will this bet ever be settled?

3. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

c'mon guys- this is completely about ratings.

No one outside of the sate of Michigan wants to see the Wolverines play OSU again.

4. DShareef

DShareef Senior member

It wasn't an actual betting line. Likely just a ploy to stir discussion. But, I think the line is valid as a theoretical opening line. Obviously, we will never know.

By the way, I live in NY and I'd love to see a rematch. I won't be alone when OSU throttles Florida.

5. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

The irony of the situation is that the last time Florida won a national championship, it did so by defeating a team to which it lost during the regular season.

That said, Michigan has no beef. Unlike the unbeaten Auburn team from a few years ago, it had the opportunity to control its own destiny and failed.

6. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

c'mon guys- this is completely about ratings.

No one outside of the sate of Michigan wants to see the Wolverines play OSU again.

I want to disagree with this point. Besides Michigan the most people that attend the school are from New York, then New Jersey. A rematch would have been a widely watched game, and so hyped by ESPN that it would have been a ratings bonanza. However I agree with the out of sight out of mind theory that Michigan has not been on the field for two weeks. That being said I found myself as a Michigan fan and Alum, that I was rooting for teams I never thought possible. I mean, I cheered out loud for Notre Shame, and will cheer for Ohio State to show that Florida is a joke and that the right call should have been a rematch.

7. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

Michigan folks--I suggest for your sake that you refrain from complaints about being "robbed" until and unless you kick the crap out of USC in the Rose Bowl.

I'm sure you all remember what happened two years ago. Cal fans were apoplectic when Texas hopped over Cal in the BCS rankings after some coaches swapped Texas above Cal in the poll. This happened in the last week of the season, with Texas idle and Cal winning (albeit a lackluster win). Cal fans screamed about being robbed of their first shot at a Rose Bowl since 1958, and screamed about Mack Brown's public begging for coaches to move Texas up in the polls. Cal then went to the Holiday Bowl, and we got completely shelled by Texas Tech, leading people to say "see, you didn't belong in the Rose Bowl."

8. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I think UW will win but I don't see a 1-2-3 B10 finish just because LSU will annihilate the Irish, and sew up 3rd place.

My Final top 10:

1. OSU
    2. Michigan
    3. LSU
    4. UW
    5. UF
    6. UL
    7. OU
    8. Auburn
    9. WVU
    10. VT

9. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

I want to disagree with this point. Besides Michigan the most people that attend the school are from New York, then New Jersey. A rematch would have been a widely watched game, and so hyped by ESPN that it would have been a ratings bonanza. However I agree with the out of sight out of mind theory that Michigan has not been on the field for two weeks. That being said I found myself as a Michigan fan and Alum, that I was rooting for teams I never thought possible. I mean, I cheered out loud for Notre Shame, and will cheer for Ohio State to show that Florida is a joke and that the right call should have been a rematch.

I love your expression, "Notre Shame"! Even Bo in heaven was cheering for NS when they played Southern Cal.

I truly believe that the Rose Bowl will be the most exciting game of all of them. I'd rather play OSU than USC! There is something menacing facing USC in the Rose Bowl. Our history, there, has not been glorious.

10. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Senior member

The game was close only because the UM won the turnover battle 3-0. History has shown that teams on the downside of that stat lose almost 90% of the time.

For those "outside of Michigan", the truth is no one other than Michigan fans wanted to see a rematch, regardless of where they live.

Back to the game, my feeling is this. It is my understanding that UF has a questionable offensive line, in addition to the fact that Leak seems to turn into a different QB under pressure. That said, if OSU can bring pressure with only rushing four, like they have all year with the exception of UM, this game will not be close. When UF tries to come from behind, and they will have to, OSU will drop into that pass stifling cover 2.

On the offensive side, OSU hung 42 on Michigan, who defense in my opinion is far superior to UFs. Nuff said.

11. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

The rematch for OSU and Michigan should have been in the Big 10 title game, which, of course, doesn't exist because the Big 10/11 won't add a team in order to create a conference championship game. The SEC had a title game, which Florida won. The Big 10 shouldn't ask the rest of the country to sit through a rematch game they should have settled themselves.

12. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

How come the strength of schedule came to the defense of Florida this year but in 2004 Auburn ran the table and had the toughest schedule in the land. Oh well, Florida doesn't stand much of a chance. The Rose Bowl should be the best game.

13. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

Troy Smith has won the Heisman as we knew he would. I expect him to have a huge game against Florida.

14. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

so there's no love here for boise st.?

15. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

so there's no love here for boise st.?

none.

Adrian Peterson returns and this may be the biggest laugher in the history of the BCS. After OU puts up 60 on BSU, hopefully they're humiliated enough that they vow never to play in a BCS game with their farce of a team.

16. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

The rematch for OSU and Michigan should have been in the Big 10 title game, which, of course, doesn't exist because the Big 10/11 won't add a team in order to create a conference championship game. The SEC had a title game, which Florida won. The Big 10 shouldn't ask the rest of the country to sit through a rematch game they should have settled themselves.
    If there was a Big 10 title game, UM and OSU wouldn't have been playing in it. The B10 East champion (OSU) would have played the B10 West champion (Wisconsin) which they didn't do during the regular season. UM wouldn't have been affected by this scenario, if OSU won. If OSU won, they would still be playing Florida in the national title game, but if they lost there would have been a SERIOUS problem. In this case, UW gets the automatic bid to the BCS, and would likely play in the Rose Bowl against USC. That much is fine, BUT how do you decide who gets the ONE BCS bid remaining for the BCS, OSU, who was undefeated until the B10 championship game and beat UM on the field, or UM, who would be higher in the rankings, most likely? The B10 is better off the way they are, at least for now. Just for argument's sake, the new B10 would look something like: B10 West: Wisconsin Iowa Northwestern Illinois Minnesota Missouri, Iowa State, ND, or whoever? (not sure if ND would count as B10 West, or how they would slot them if they chose to enter the B10) B10 East: Ohio State Michigan Michigan State Penn State Indiana Purdue The problem with adding a 12th team is that there aren't very many schools that fit the B10's educational and athletic profile. ND and Missouri are about it, Missouri is in the B12, but has a natural rivalry with Illinois, ND would be a decent fit but has refused to join to date. Rutgers, Syracuse, Pitt, and some others have been discussed as well but who knows. Pitt would be decent in both BB and FB but probably won't leave the BEast and they have a natural rivalry with WVU, so that may not work. Just for fun, take a look at the money sport rankings at the moment: ESPN College Football Rankings: 1. OSU B10 2. Florida SEC 3. Michigan B10 4. LSU SEC 5. Wisconsin B10 6. Louisville BEast 7. USC PAC10 8. Oklahoma B12 9. Boise State WAC 10. Auburn SEC ESPN College Basketball Poll: 1. UCLA PAC10 2. Pittsburgh BEast 3. North Carolina ACC 4. Ohio State B10 5. Florida SEC 6. Duke ACC 7. Wisconsin B10 8. Connecticut BEast 9. Alabama SEC 10. Wichita State MVC Football: B10 3 SEC 3 BEast 1 B12 1 PAC10 1 WAC 1 BBall: ACC 2 B10 2 BEast 2 SEC 2 MVC 1 PAC10 1 Florida, OSU, Wisconsin only teams to have two top ten teams.

17. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

There have been some great games so far. I am really looking forward tot he Rose Bowl in a bit. Go Blue!!

18. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Ugly win for UW, but they won. B10 up to 2-3.

19. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Michigan is getting taken behind the woodshed atm... [​IMG]

20. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

Michigan is getting taken behind the woodshed atm... [​IMG]
    mwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!