• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michael Phelps Is The Greatest Olympian Of All Time

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Article in the WSJ today about faster pools, apparently it's not bullshit. Who knew?

Oh and it's a rare day when I +1 Rambo but ... +1.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

stitches I hate on you less than you think. And bolt is in the conversation now - wonder if he has a chance four years from now.

if you say so, bro. glad to hear it.

id be very surprised if his body held up in 4 years to still dominate this type of race. never know though. when i watching the race on TV i was dismayed with how little fanfare they were giving his accomplishment. a few announcers said, "well i guess he is the best sprinter of all time," with the same excitement as though they were discussing mouse droppings. and then it was off to the next thing.

i thought it was pretty poor. he deserved better.

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score

if you say so, bro. glad to hear it.
id be very surprised if his body held up in 4 years to still dominate this type of race. never know though. when i watching the race on TV i was dismayed with how little fanfare they were giving his accomplishment. a few announcers said, "well i guess he is the best sprinter of all time," with the same excitement as though they were discussing mouse droppings. and then it was off to the next thing.
i thought it was pretty poor. he deserved better.

he's not a 30 year old virgin, he's not a gymnast and he's not an american. what can you expect?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
teger and stitches, not sure WTF you two are on about but the Bolt race was the most anticipated event of these olympics and probably the most anticipated event of the last few olympics. The buildup for the race was huge. They were showing you Bolt getting ready for the race, Bolt playing around with the other runners, Bolt taking a crap etc it was Bolt (and Jamaica running in general) every chance they got. Tommy Hammond is about 132 years old, that is as excited as he gets, his partner Alto did that race, and every race, tremendous justice. After the race they immediately went to interview Bolt and you didn't even see the America sprinter(who came in fourth) anywhere in the picture. Can they have dedicated more time to Bolt? Of course but how much time do you think they spend in Jamaica on Michael Phelps?

They milked this race for all the could, put that **** on at 11:00 so they could keep the viewers watching through the brutally bad diving, boring indoor volleyball and some other ****.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
idk ed, i was disappoint. costas didnt seem like he gave half a ***** worth, and yeah there were lead up shots to bolt here and there to keep people watching, but after these ridiculous mini documentaries on every american that ever broke a toenail overcoming obstacles that would seem insurmountable, and ZOMG THEY PREVAILED!!!! even before events that they lost in, i thought bolt deserved more appreciation.

i know he is not american, but an accomplishment on that level, for me transcends nations, and deserves the utmost on its merit of historical greatness.

the people that called the race though, did a fine job. no issues there.

also, i enjoyed the last few points of the US v korea ladies indoor volleyball.

Last edited:

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bob Costas is the cooltrucker extraodinaire of American sports broadcasting, just read the olympic backlash threak. Unfortunately, it was obviously decided by NBC that they were going to ride (no pun) the American gymnasts well before the Olympics started and that is why we were subject to all that **** (OMG, Ally Raismann's parents are so stressed, they are going crazy in their seats!!! Lets put that on TV!!). Also, sprinting is not exactly a big national sport here so they would probably only push it if they can make a "celebrity" out of one of our runners (hence, the LoLo love) so they focus on the Misty May/Kerri Walsh/Gabby Douglas's of the USA olympics scene. Lastly, its not like Bolt needs NBC to cement his place in Olympic history or to get more sponsorship money.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What was it Costas said? "Is Bolt the greatest sprinter? Well who knows what Jesse Owens could have done with more opportunity."

This guy needs a cricket bat upside the head.

lefty

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bob Costas is the cooltrucker extraodinaire of American sports broadcasting, just read the olympic backlash threak. Unfortunately, it was obviously decided by NBC that they were going to ride (no pun) the American gymnasts well before the Olympics started and that is why we were subject to all that **** (OMG, Ally Raismann's parents are so stressed, they are going crazy in their seats!!! Lets put that on TV!!). Also, sprinting is not exactly a big national sport here so they would probably only push it if they can make a "celebrity" out of one of our runners (hence, the LoLo love) so they focus on the Misty May/Kerri Walsh/Gabby Douglas's of the USA olympics scene. Lastly, its not like Bolt needs NBC to cement his place in Olympic history or to get more sponsorship money.

yeah, i know, its just frustrating. but as you said, we have a thread for that **** already. so ill leave it alone, and let this stay about the greatest olympian ever.

What was it Costas said? "Is Bolt the greatest sprinter?  Well who knows what Jesse Owens could have done with more opportunity."

lefty

:nodding:
---

that being said, who here thinks bolt should get that title?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Contender.

The only thing that bugs me about Bolt is that he pulls up at the end.

lefty

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, i hear that, but the only person that it will really mater to is him, if someone breaks his record by a hundredth of a second or so, and he will have to live knowing he could still be the record holder if he had not pulled up.

fir3fox

Reaction score

What was it Costas said? "Is Bolt the greatest sprinter?  Well who knows what Jesse Owens could have done with more opportunity."

lefty

I agree Costas could use a slap, but what I heard him say was that Bolt was unarguably the greatest sprinter ever in terms of athletic achievement.

He was just noting that the circumstances under which Owens won his medals may have been more historically relevant.

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Costas was referring to the fact that the Olympics were cancelled in 1940 and 1944, depriving Owens of the chance of repeating.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As I recall it was "opportunity to defend his medals." The comment was unnecessary. As was his comment about the chinese woman swimmer who smoked the rest of the competitors. Something to the tune of "we'll see if she passes the drug test."

lefty

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
another issue is that the 200m lasts 20 seconds, while you can play gymnastics events for hours and hours. also water polo has to be the most difficult event. jesus.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads