• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michael Kors Suit

unstylish

Reaction score
I was looking to purchase a suit for my seminar presentation. I was originally looking at a Brooks Brothers Black Fleece pinstripe darted suit, but saw that it may be out of my price range as a student. I came across a Michael Kors grey pinstripe suit for a quarter of the price. I realize that it isn't going to be the same quality. But would this suit be in a quality range above Alfani, Tommy Hilfiger, Lauren by Ralph Lauren etc. For what its worth it will be around 100 dollars new including pants and jacket. I figure it will be a worthy investment until i begin working and purchasing proper suits. Also can a standard non trim fit jacket be altered enough to make it slim-apart from the shoulders which I believe cannot be altered.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of the brands you've listed, the Michael Kors will probably be as good as, or slightly superior. You're right about the alterations, though it's hard to say without seeing pics of you in the suit.

Have you thought about second hand? Depending on timing, you may be able to pick up a nice used suit in B&S, or eBay, at that pricepoint. The trick will be knowing your exact size (go to a tailor and have them measure you for a suit).

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my Michael Kors suit that I picked up at TJ Maxx. I had the waist supressed on the jacket and on the pants I hade the waist brought in, pleats removed and legs slimmed for about $80. It's nice woolmark fabric and is one of my favs. If you know of a good tailor I'd say it would be a good first suit.

Retro_020911_02.jpg

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
For $100 new I think its a good bet and better than the Lauren or Alfani options. I am wearing a Michael Kors suit today in a grey pinstripe cashmere/wool blend, and I like its fit, although I did have it tailored a bit. FWIW, the one I have is made in Canada.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Michael Kors is a better purchase than the likes of Calvin Klein, Lauren, Alfani etc...

I would scope out eBay and B&S here to see what is lurking around. $200 would certainly be enough to pick up a decent lightly used suit.

Try thrift stores as well. While most suits/jackets there are damaged or very old, I did see a 2 - 3yo Zegna in good condition for a measly price of $18. I regularly see Brooks Brothers, Oxxford, and older Polo (Polo University) suits/jackets on the racks.

unstylish

Reaction score
Hey guys i just got back from macys after trying on the suit. I thought the quality was good, being 100% wool compared to other poly/rayon blends at the price point.

Things I believe would need to be done would be:
Taking in the sides/darting it in to make it slimmer
Trimming the sleeves (making the circumference smaller)
Shortening the length of the jacket? not sure if its possible but i think its a bit long (the size is 38R) but i need it shorter, the 38s was too short in the sleeves and length
The pants are hemmed at 30 inches but the seat is too full and wanted it slimmed down in the thigh and leg

After all these alterations I think it would be a nice slim fitting suit. Does anyone have any kind of idea what price point it would be for all these? I was thinking about 50 dollars since its about 4 alterations. Also is it possible to get the length of the jacket shortened maybe 1-1.5 inches? I really appreciate feedback being that this will be my first suit bought off the rack and tailored.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
um, yeah it sounds like you're recutting the entire suit there... these things never really work out in my experience. Find something that fits you better to begin with.

it'll cost you at least $20-30 per operation, ie slimmer, shortening the jacket, slimming the pants, etc. Ie you're in for around $100 or more.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^agree, thats quite a lot of work, and unless you have a skilled tailor, it may end up looking worse than it did before you started.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unstylish
Hey guys i just got back from macys after trying on the suit. I thought the quality was good, being 100% wool compared to other poly/rayon blends at the price point.

Things I believe would need to be done would be:
Taking in the sides/darting it in to make it slimmer
Trimming the sleeves (making the circumference smaller)
Shortening the length of the jacket? not sure if its possible but i think its a bit long (the size is 38R) but i need it shorter, the 38s was too short in the sleeves and length
The pants are hemmed at 30 inches but the seat is too full and wanted it slimmed down in the thigh and leg

After all these alterations I think it would be a nice slim fitting suit. Does anyone have any kind of idea what price point it would be for all these? I was thinking about 50 dollars since its about 4 alterations. Also is it possible to get the length of the jacket shortened maybe 1-1.5 inches? I really appreciate feedback being that this will be my first suit bought off the rack and tailored.

Dealbreaker.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
Dealbreaker.

+1 as that can throw the proportions off too much. Waist supression, pleat removal, leg slimming yes, but if I had to shorten the jacket then I would not have bought my suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics