• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michael Kors on Gilt.com- Blech!

mykel67

Reaction score
I was looking forward to the Michael Kors sale on gilt.com today. I've seen his runway collections for women and like his point of view.

This stuff on gilt.com, though, is terrible! Does he have multiple lines or is this it for his menswear collection?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Really, he's a womenswear designer and his menswear, IMO, has always been something of an afterthought. He's very well regarded in womenswear and has a well-established, identifiable silhouette/style for women, but his menswear has never really "clicked" and has never really been identifiable or solid.

I've had a FEW items over the years, but on the whole I've really never been thrilled with it and have found the quality, for the price, to be really substandard, and that's for the mainline. The "Michael Michael Kors" diffusion is even worse...

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a nice vercoat from the MK line earlier this year on sale and am quite happy with it.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
I picked up a nice vercoat from the MK line earlier this year on sale and am quite happy with it.
Agreed. I definitely don't mean to imply that nothing he does it good... I just mean from an overall menswear perspective, it's rather lackluster and has never really found its niche. It's sort of an "americana luxe" sort of aesthetic, only not as good/diverse as RL, not as luxe/sexy as TF, or innovative as MJ or Varvatos, IMO. It doesn't really "fit" anywhere or do anything much to recommend it except as a random item here or there to purchase on sale from a Neimans last-call sale. I, too, have had a few pieces that worked (and were also purchased on sale), I just meant to say that overall when you are asking someone to rattle off the top five menswear designers of their generation, Kors will hardly be on that list. For women? Sure. But, for men, it's like he's not really all that interested...

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by timon00
anyone have experiences with michael kors shirts?

Some. What is your question?

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a Michael Kors shirt -- mainline, not diffusion -- and it did not hold up well. Collar and cuffs ended up bubbling after a handful of washings.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one that fits well (I may actually wear it to dinner tonight now that it comes up) but I'm not that impressed with quality. Not too bad though, typical of my pre-SF purchases (lot's of Boss, BR, a bit of Armani of many tiers).

Originally Posted by timon00
anyone have experiences with michael kors shirts?

effang

Reaction score
what is luxe/sexy TF? what is tf stand for? thanks.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by effang
what is luxe/sexy TF? what is tf stand for? thanks.
TF= Tom Ford. "Luxe" = luxurious. "Sexy" means sexy... flattering shape, makes the body look good/more attractive by virtue of its little tweaks here and there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads