• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michael Douglas in "The Game" / Sean Penn in "The Interpreter"

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just caught both movies on cable over the weekend and I loved the way Douglas was dressed in The Game. He plays an investment banker and his suits are cut beautifully. Wonderful shirts and ties. Very classic American and the clothes reminded me of the work Flusser did on Barbarians at The Gate. Much preferred Douglas look in this rather than his master of the universe look in Wall Street. Any idea who did his wardrobe?

In watching the credits for The Interpreter, a "Special Thanks" was given to Luciano Barbera. I'm assuming they provided clothes for the movie and I would also assume that it would be provided, at least, for the leading man (Sean Penn). While the men in the movie mostly looked good, no one really stood out as being well dressed, except for maybe one of the African politicians. Did Barbera do the suits and is this part of his genius, being well dressed and not standing out?

EDIT: Best sartorial line in a movie:

Michael Douglas and female lead; while running away from attack dogs, climbing over crates and up a fire escape ladder, loses a shoe.

MD: Well, there goes $1,000
female: (incredulous) Your shoes cost $1,000???????
MD: That one did.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
116upsy.jpg

116uq2t.jpg

Very impressive, spot on on alot of his suits.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's funny, I was watching this film the other day and thought the exact same thing.

Fantastic movie, btw.

I would murder my brother if he pulled that sh*t.
plain.gif

lifemisspent

Reaction score
I particularly liked his mock long sleeves turtlenecks as part of his "casual" attire. Where could one buy these kinds of tops ? My tailer said mocks are getting harder to find.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Steve Jobs may be able to give you an inside line on his seemingly infinite supply of black mock turtlenecks.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Good call Ed. The movie left me with mixed feelings, but the wardrobe supplied for MD was flawless. Plus anyone shagging KZT? Gotta respect that.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Good call Ed. The movie left me with mixed feelings, but the wardrobe supplied for MD was flawless. Plus anyone shagging KZT? Gotta respect that.

that was a vintage edmorel call, post is over two years old. would love to hear the thought process that the person who revived it went through.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
When there is not good new threads, I like to go back and read "Edmorel Classics" - I am sure it the same for the new OP

Chuck VSoske

Reaction score
I just caught both movies on cable over the weekend and I loved the way Douglas was dressed in The Game. He plays an investment banker and his suits are cut beautifully. Wonderful shirts and ties. Very classic American and the clothes reminded me of the work Flusser did on Barbarians at The Gate. Much preferred Douglas look in this rather than his master of the universe look in Wall Street. Any idea who did his wardrobe?

In watching the credits for The Interpreter, a "Special Thanks" was given to Luciano Barbera. I'm assuming they provided clothes for the movie and I would also assume that it would be provided, at least, for the leading man (Sean Penn). While the men in the movie mostly looked good, no one really stood out as being well dressed, except for maybe one of the African politicians. Did Barbera do the suits and is this part of his genius, being well dressed and not standing out?

EDIT: Best sartorial line in a movie:

Michael Douglas and female lead; while running away from attack dogs, climbing over crates and up a fire escape ladder, loses a shoe.

MD: Well, there goes $1,000
female: (incredulous) Your shoes cost $1,000???????
MD: That one did.

All the suits for Michael Douglas and the white dinner jacket for Sean Penn in “The Game” were made by hand at Oxxford Clothes in Chicago, and yours truly did the re-measurements and all of the fitting for Mr. Douglas — and the initial measurements and dinner jacket fitting for Sean Penn (inside his movie trailer parked on Sansome Street, literally around the corner from my old office in San Francisco). Lots of interesting stories about delivering clothing to the various locations used in the movie...call me if you’re interested in hearing about it. FYI Oxxford Clothes (purchased by Tom James/IAG in 2004) has made clothing for a number of Hollywood actors since the 1930’s. Oxxford made Joe DiMaggio’s wedding suit in 1954 when he married MarIlya Monroe, and even made clothing for Al Capone — before he went to prison for tax evasion.
Chuck VSoske @ 925-408-7147

BTW that line that Douglas used when his shoe fell in the dumpster “that one did” was not in the script! He had one other great ad lib in the early restaurant scene when the waitress spilled coffee (?) on his clothing...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads