1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Douglas in "The Game" / Sean Penn in "The Interpreter"

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by edmorel, May 30, 2006.

1. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I just caught both movies on cable over the weekend and I loved the way Douglas was dressed in The Game. He plays an investment banker and his suits are cut beautifully. Wonderful shirts and ties. Very classic American and the clothes reminded me of the work Flusser did on Barbarians at The Gate. Much preferred Douglas look in this rather than his master of the universe look in Wall Street. Any idea who did his wardrobe?

In watching the credits for The Interpreter, a "Special Thanks" was given to Luciano Barbera. I'm assuming they provided clothes for the movie and I would also assume that it would be provided, at least, for the leading man (Sean Penn). While the men in the movie mostly looked good, no one really stood out as being well dressed, except for maybe one of the African politicians. Did Barbera do the suits and is this part of his genius, being well dressed and not standing out?

EDIT: Best sartorial line in a movie:

Michael Douglas and female lead; while running away from attack dogs, climbing over crates and up a fire escape ladder, loses a shoe.

MD: Well, there goes $1,000
    female: (incredulous) Your shoes cost $1,000???????
    MD: That one did.

2. Soph

Soph Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very impressive, spot on on alot of his suits.

3. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

Oxxford did the tailored clothing for Mr. Douglas.

4. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

To supplement my prior response, it was Oxxford's Renaissance XX model.

5. edmorel

Clothes was just classic American so it would make sense that Oxxford did it. Also, the casual clothes that Douglas wore were wonderful and even his car(BMW 7 series) was great. Why more monied American men don't dress this way is absolutely beyond me.

6. kronik

kronik Senior member

That's funny, I was watching this film the other day and thought the exact same thing.

Fantastic movie, btw.

I would murder my brother if he pulled that sh*t. [​IMG]

7. lifemisspent

lifemisspent New Member

I particularly liked his mock long sleeves turtlenecks as part of his "casual" attire. Where could one buy these kinds of tops ? My tailer said mocks are getting harder to find.

8. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

^ Steve Jobs may be able to give you an inside line on his seemingly infinite supply of black mock turtlenecks.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Good call Ed. The movie left me with mixed feelings, but the wardrobe supplied for MD was flawless. Plus anyone shagging KZT? Gotta respect that.

10. edmorel

Good call Ed. The movie left me with mixed feelings, but the wardrobe supplied for MD was flawless. Plus anyone shagging KZT? Gotta respect that.

that was a vintage edmorel call, post is over two years old. would love to hear the thought process that the person who revived it went through.

11. JeffsWood

JeffsWood Senior member

When there is not good new threads, I like to go back and read "Edmorel Classics" - I am sure it the same for the new OP