• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Miami Vice

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is anyone looking forward to this? I have to admit that I'm very disappointed in how it looks in the commercials. I grew up with Miami Vice and this isn't it. The sunny Florida pastels are gone; it's supposedly a darker version. They even recorded some new version of the classic Phil Collins song In The Air Tonight.

Colin Farrell was just on the Today show with Matt Lauer. He seems like a very nice guy, but he just isn't Crocket. And as much as I think Jamie Foxx is a great actor he doesn't have Tubbs's (what was his real name?) laid back cool.

Anyway, I'm disappointed.

bob

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Is anyone looking forward to this? I have to admit that I'm very disappointed in how it looks in the commercials. I grew up with Miami Vice and this isn't it. The sunny Florida pastels are gone; it's supposedly a darker version. They even recorded some new version of the classic Phil Collins song In The Air Tonight.

Colin Farrell was just on the Today show with Matt Lauer. He seems like a very nice guy, but he just isn't Crocket. And as much as I think Jamie Foxx is a great actor he doesn't have Tubbs's (what was his real name?) laid back cool.

Anyway, I'm disappointed.

bob

When I heard the movie I was very excited! I loved the original tv series! A little over the top, but I loved it.

Farrell ruins it for me also. Anyone but him. My impression (right or wrong) is that they picked him because of his "bad boy" image. I don't know about Jamie Foxx. It is hard to see him as "Tubbs" for me.

It's getting to the point that I hate seeing well known actors in films. For me, it's getting harder to seperate the actors from the tabloid crap (ie Farrell and his fighting and tirades).

Oh well. I'll still go see the movie but I don't expect much. Hopefully, I'll be surprised.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Michael Mann is quoted saying that he is making the Miami Vice that he couldnt make on TV in the 80s (or maybe even today).

For the first time in a good while, I am actually considering paying up to check out this film on the big screen.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I'm surprised you guys are so keen on seeing this....to me it looks unwatchable (but then I didnt like the tv show either). I'd rather see a "Facts of Life" movie than this...
plain.gif

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I'm surprised you guys are so keen on seeing this....to me it looks unwatchable (but then I didnt like the tv show either). I'd rather see a "Facts of Life" movie than this...
plain.gif

Jo can work on my car anytiiiiiiiiiime...

Hawkeye

Reaction score
I'm usually not a big fan of the summer blockbuster type of movie, but this doesnt seem like it will be that type of movie, at least I hope it won't be that Bad Boys type. I really think that Michael Mann can put out the film he wants to put out and not have to change things to make them more audience friendly.

As for the old Miami Vice, I'm 25 and I never saw it until Saturday night when NBC replayed the original (pilot?) TV movie, I was really surprised at how good it was. If the movie is anything like the TV movie, which it will be I'm sure, I will be a very happy.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been looking forward to it all summer. Heat and Collateral were both awesome movies and I suspect Miami Vice will be the same. As for Colin Farrell... I think he's more suited to this than say... Alexander. Then again, I won't be compairing it to the TV series.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I think Michael Mann is a great director and in particular I love his style as evidenced by Heat, think of Val Kilmer's view from his living room--that sleek look. After seeing that I thought to myself that the style reminded me of Miami Vice and sure enough, there was his name.

But this is such a change from the original (his "true" vision or not) that I just can't get excited by it.

bob

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I personally like the look of it, although it would be nice to see some nice pastel ensembles for old times' sake, at least.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that Mann is updating Miami Vice. There would be little point to doing a dated period piece, unless one wanted to spoof the original television series, which is clearly not Mann's intention.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never seen Collin Farrell in anything, so I don't know what he's like, but this is the kind of movie that looks like it bring out the worst in Jamie Foxx, who tries to act so "cool" and seems to think he's a better actor than he really is. (Hey Jamie, even Julia Roberts has one of those Oscar thingies...)
tounge.gif

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have tremendous faith in Mann's directing ability, and I'm too young for the original show, so I'm not nostalgic for the pastels, so I'm looking forward to it.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
miami vice IS sonny crockett and rico tubbs as portrayed by don johnson and philip michael thomas. i have a strong feeling this movie is just another buddy cop action orgyfest that incidentally is set in miami and has detectives named crockett and tubbs.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
just another buddy cop action orgyfest that incidentally is set in miami
You say it like it's a bad thing...

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I am definitely going to see it, but I cannot believe they redid In the Air Tonight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads