Miami Vice Fashion: Why was it so popular?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Soph, May 21, 2006.

1. Soph

Soph Senior member

[​IMG]

2. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Bren Tens are popular fashion accessories now?

3. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Why?

Because Miami Vice was the coolest, edgiest show that had ever been on TV at the time. The use of handheld cameras, the lighting, the music, the attitude and the setting in art deco South Beach were all completely different than any other show that had previously been on TV.

4. stach

stach Senior member

A further refinement of the American Gigolo look, it was short lived (replaced by oversize clothing).

5. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    When was MV hot? Mid-80s, IIRC. I'd say the fashion was an outgrowth of the 70s latter-day hippies trying to "dress up" without buying into the staid, stoic btton-down style they'd grown up seeing their fathers wear. That, and the fact that Miami Vice was the best place to see scantily clad females on television without renting videotape or subscribing to Cinemax.

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

MV did look different, sexy and fresh at the time. Besides, expect some elements of Miami Vice fashion to return this year (I'm already starting to see a few white jackets and colourful silk shirts apparing on some guys on sunny days). The new movie this summer, together with a couple of designers like Versace going for an updated MV look this year will mean some of the look will probably return.

7. Morris

Morris Senior member

Why?

Because Miami Vice was the coolest, edgiest show that had ever been on TV at the time. The use of handheld cameras, the lighting, the music, the attitude and the setting in art deco South Beach were all completely different than any other show that had previously been on TV.

That's exactly right. We had never seen anything like it. MV was more than a television show, it was a cultural event ... akin to Seinfeld, Sex in the City in that manner. It infected all manner of dress, speech, casting, writing, music, etc.

Now, looking back all of that was a tsunami-sized trend bubble with limited lasting power (unlike a Seinfeld), but at the time it was important.

8. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

We just get Miami Wice on television. Miami Wice is number one new show. ...

9. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

When was MV hot? Mid-80s, IIRC. I'd say the fashion was an outgrowth of the 70s latter-day hippies trying to "dress up" without buying into the staid, stoic btton-down style they'd grown up seeing their fathers wear. That, and the fact that Miami Vice was the best place to see scantily clad females on television without renting videotape or subscribing to Cinemax.

Well said. And I remember Skinemax fondly....[​IMG]

The look was a flashy combination of dress and casual, right down to the perfect hair paired with day-old stubble. The 80's were about trying to find a happy medium that -- at least in popular media -- didn't exist in the "hippie vs. Nixonians" 70's. (I know it wasn't really that disparate, but that's how it tends to appear in TV shows and movies from that time.)

10. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Now, looking back all of that was a tsunami-sized trend bubble with limited lasting power (unlike a Seinfeld), but at the time it was important.

Are you telling me you're taking style cues from Seinfeld?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

It was the Kung Fu of the 80s. And that's not a good thing.

12. VMan

VMan Senior member

It was pretty badass at the time, a very cool and casual yet stylish look.

I don't know about the loose silk shirts, but a white jacket can look pretty good when worn well.

The look echoed the feel of the time period very well.

13. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Are you telling me you're taking style cues from Seinfeld?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You mean my puffy shirt is not fashionable?

14. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

You mean my puffy shirt is not fashionable?
    It's those puffy white sneakers with the skinny black jeans I've been meaning to talk to you about...

15. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

i must say rico tubbs, at least if you consider the fashion environment of the 80s, had better style. [​IMG]