• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Miami Vice Fashion: Why was it so popular?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
107sw77.jpg

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bren Tens are popular fashion accessories now?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Why?

Because Miami Vice was the coolest, edgiest show that had ever been on TV at the time. The use of handheld cameras, the lighting, the music, the attitude and the setting in art deco South Beach were all completely different than any other show that had previously been on TV.

stach

Reaction score
A further refinement of the American Gigolo look, it was short lived (replaced by oversize clothing).

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When was MV hot? Mid-80s, IIRC. I'd say the fashion was an outgrowth of the 70s latter-day hippies trying to "dress up" without buying into the staid, stoic btton-down style they'd grown up seeing their fathers wear. That, and the fact that Miami Vice was the best place to see scantily clad females on television without renting videotape or subscribing to Cinemax.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MV did look different, sexy and fresh at the time. Besides, expect some elements of Miami Vice fashion to return this year (I'm already starting to see a few white jackets and colourful silk shirts apparing on some guys on sunny days). The new movie this summer, together with a couple of designers like Versace going for an updated MV look this year will mean some of the look will probably return.

Morris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
Why?

Because Miami Vice was the coolest, edgiest show that had ever been on TV at the time. The use of handheld cameras, the lighting, the music, the attitude and the setting in art deco South Beach were all completely different than any other show that had previously been on TV.

That's exactly right. We had never seen anything like it. MV was more than a television show, it was a cultural event ... akin to Seinfeld, Sex in the City in that manner. It infected all manner of dress, speech, casting, writing, music, etc.

Now, looking back all of that was a tsunami-sized trend bubble with limited lasting power (unlike a Seinfeld), but at the time it was important.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
We just get Miami Wice on television. Miami Wice is number one new show. ...

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
When was MV hot? Mid-80s, IIRC. I'd say the fashion was an outgrowth of the 70s latter-day hippies trying to "dress up" without buying into the staid, stoic btton-down style they'd grown up seeing their fathers wear. That, and the fact that Miami Vice was the best place to see scantily clad females on television without renting videotape or subscribing to Cinemax.

Well said. And I remember Skinemax fondly....
inlove.gif

The look was a flashy combination of dress and casual, right down to the perfect hair paired with day-old stubble. The 80's were about trying to find a happy medium that -- at least in popular media -- didn't exist in the "hippie vs. Nixonians" 70's. (I know it wasn't really that disparate, but that's how it tends to appear in TV shows and movies from that time.)

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morris
Now, looking back all of that was a tsunami-sized trend bubble with limited lasting power (unlike a Seinfeld), but at the time it was important.

Are you telling me you're taking style cues from Seinfeld?
wow.gif

wink.gif

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was pretty badass at the time, a very cool and casual yet stylish look.

I don't know about the loose silk shirts, but a white jacket can look pretty good when worn well.

The look echoed the feel of the time period very well.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Are you telling me you're taking style cues from Seinfeld?
wow.gif

wink.gif

You mean my puffy shirt is not fashionable?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
You mean my puffy shirt is not fashionable?
It's those puffy white sneakers with the skinny black jeans I've been meaning to talk to you about...

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i must say rico tubbs, at least if you consider the fashion environment of the 80s, had better style.
18452062.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads