1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mezlan shoes? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Splat_man, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Splat_man

Splat_man Member

2. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

$95 as a starting bid is too high for this shoe that retail for $195. For around that price you would do better with Allen Edmonds. The quality of Mezlan shoes are very average to below average at most.

3. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

I find Mezlan shoes are usually one mistake away from being good looking shoes. They generally have a nice shape but they tend mess things up with detailing.

4. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I owned 2 pairs, yea they are a step away from being a good looking shoe. But there's always something about them that makes them a bit off.

Quality-wise, I disagree that they are bad. I put mine through the paces going jitterbugging in them and they held up just fine. I sold them just because I got tired of that off-ness in styling.

5. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I agree about Mezlan styling. The quality is not too great, but not horrid, probably a cut above KC/Bostonian and perhaps 70% as good as AE if we're still using that scale. Maybe about the same as Hugo Boss shoes.

6. jmatt

jmatt Senior member

I owned a pair - once. Never again. They are nowhere near A-E. I'd give them 30% of A-E for quality - not 70%. My pair fell apart very quickly and were tossed.

7. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

I've never felt compelled to purchase Mezlans. They seem a bit off style-wise, like others have posted.

8. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

i once bought a pair of mezlans several years back before these fora at full retail price of 195. but back then i thought the price was a superlative price and i just assumed that quality and luxury came with these shoes.
    when i wore them they were not comfortable and always made my feet ache during the day. i just passed that off as a natural phenomena of dress shoes, whether they were cheap or "luxurious" like my mezlans.

after finding out about c&j, AE, gucci, lobb, santoni and the rest, i learned that dress shoes are actually more comfortable than my athletic shoes. and the leathers used made the mezlans look very subpar.

i returned the mezlans several months later. yes, from nordstrom, that was the first and only time i took advantage of their no questions refund policy.

even at the discount prices at nordy rack for maybe 99 dollars with an additional 35% off, i'd say that is still 65 dollars too much for a pair of mezlans.

9. Ranjeev

Ranjeev Senior member

I bought a pair for about $40 or $50 a few years ago off ebay. They're okay shoes but I don't think I would pay much more than that for them.

Santoni shoes (not the ones at the high-end) might be in your price range if you get lucky on ebay.

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

My niece (by marriage, one of several) sold shoes at Nordstrom's for several years. I once asked her about Mezlans, more for my boy than myself. She strongly counseled me to stay away from Mezlans and rated them very low as far as quality, durability and value went.

11. DNW

DNW Senior member

I had a few pairs of Mezlan, including a pair of ankle boot. Like others said, they're not made in the traditional English or Italian style and they feel a bit "thin." I got mine at usually 40-50% of retail when I didn't know anything better about shoes. In terms of quality, I'd say they're a more stylish version of Johnston & Murphy. For the same amount of money, there are better picks as has been said before.

12. Splat_man

Splat_man Member

I'm having a bit of trouble finding good shoes on ebay.
    Could one of you please help me.
    Just a classic oxford in US13 and at a price point of US$100 - $150.

Thanks
    [​IMG]

13. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Senior member

I have a pair of Mezlan (Nigel, in brown) and have had them for 2 years. I'm hard on shoes (6' 2", 200+ lbs, do lots of walking) and usually break down the welt and go through heels. The shoes have held their own to date. Plus, I only paid $105 for them.

I agree that something's always a bit off design-wise, which is why I hadn't bought a pair before.

14. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

I'm having a bit of trouble finding good shoes on ebay.
    Could one of you please help me.
    Just a classic oxford in US13 and at a price point of US$100 - $150.

Thanks
    [​IMG]

not sure of your width, but here's an black Allen Edmonds Oxford in 13E

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mens-Allen-Edmon...QQcmdZViewItem

here's a brown Allen Edmonds Oxford in 13D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Allen-Edmonds-Pa...QQcmdZViewItem

If the blucher/balmoral thing doesn't bother you, here is a classic Allen Edmonds

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Allen-Edmond...QQcmdZViewItem

interesting 13D's worth considering,

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Allen-Edmond...QQcmdZViewItem

15. Draper

Draper New Member

I know this thread is long past dead, but thought I would throw my two cents in. While Mezlan shoes do not offer the quality of Alden or Allen Edmonds shoes (i.e. stitching to a real welt and cork bedding), I still believe they offer good value for money. I would also never pay full price and stay away from some of the "pimp" shoes they offer.

16. Evodz

Evodz New Member

I've found Mezlan to be stylish beyond AE, Hugo Boss and Santoni. It all depends on what your intended purpose is for the shoe. Are you wearing them daily for work, travel, or Sunday church only? I've found Mezlan to be a GREAT special occasion shoe as the comfortability is ever present for the duration. The exotics exude head-turning swagger. Their styling and overall appeal stand head and shoulders above the competition.

17. Trit

Trit Senior member

That sounds unbiased.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  18. boomer73

boomer73 New Member

Hi. This is my first post here, but I've been lurking and listening for years. :)

I have two pairs of Mezlans and have been really happy with them. The ones in the photo are 4 years old. I wear them about 1-2x per week usually in an urban environment (Washington, DC). And they are holding up great. I just had rubber soles put on them as i never liked the leather sole - too slippery on concrete/pavement in the weather. I'm 6'3" and about 240lbs and wear a size 12.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As someone else mentioned, the leather is lighter than others - feels like about half the thickness of my Allen-Edmonds, but I actually appreciate that as these shoes are VERY lightweight and comfortable and while I was concerned that they would wear out quickly, for me this has proven not to be the case. Admittedly, there are many Mezlans that have styling that doesn't appeal to me (that's true for me with A-E and Alden as well), but there are a number that I think are quite beautiful, and these are no exception. I have gotten many many compliments from both men and women about them, and don't regret purchasing them at all. My other pair is a black, split toe. Don't remember the names of either model.

-B

19. Mezlan Shoe Lov

Mezlan Shoe Lov New Member

I believe that most of you who are speaking negatively about Mezlan shoes either have absolutely 0 style or extremely wide feet! I own several pair and they have held up great! They have Italian Styling which is definitely fashion forward and don't look like my Grandads old shoes like a whole bunch of AE's! They are very stylish and comfortable! They do have some styles that push the envelope a bit but if your looking for traditional shoes, LOOK ELSEWHERE!

20. willhrub7

willhrub7 New Member

It may be that you have to separate quality from design/style when it comes to a discussion on Mezlans. The styling and design is a matter of personal taste; if you do not like the looks of certain Mezlans, you simply do not have to buy! There are enough of them which are in good taste for many people, that it makes me want to keep looking at them. I have always found the quality to be far better-than-average, too - quite well-constructed (do you need your shoe to last 5+ years, to where it looks obsolete anyway?). I do not question the quality of Allen Edmonds, but most of them look pretty thick and clunky; nothing that will collect compliments. If you want to simply "fit in", I suppose they are pretty good.

The Italians' and Spaniards' penchant for trend-setting style is well-documented. For some of us, having a shoe look GOOD is an important criteria; and there, Mezlan can score highly.