1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Meyer and Mortimer

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JB2410, Feb 24, 2013.

1. JB2410

JB2410 Member

Joined a week ago as a I ventured into the world of bespoke for the first time. Have immersed myself and even read the james Sherwood tome cover to cover. Having met most of the tailors on and just off SR now, I thought I was nearing a decision given I want two suits made up by end of May. But then stopped by Meyer and Mortimer on Friday more just to ensure i had met them all ( still not stopped by kilgour so must do that tomorrow). More structured than I thought I wanted but just the most welcoming group of people I have come across, and maybe their look, with the softer shoulder is what I need. But there are v few posts on here about them and the few there are fizzle out quickly. Frog in suit swears by them but his suits are cut by Paul Munday They proposed that Fred Nieddu cuts mine. Does anyone have any experience of Fred?

Also came across Harrisons Moonbeam 36668 which is a wool and angora cloth, dark navy with a large pink windowpane check. Want something similar for a suit. Any suggestions?

Thanks

J

2. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Fred is Paul's undercutter. Nice guy, but it would be best if you ask that either Paul or Brian supervise.

For your first couple bespoke suits, I very strongly suggest you stay away from pink windowpanes and the like. A classic navy or mid-grey would be ideal.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  3. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

There a few threads on Moonbeam, if you use the search function. Why Moonbeam for a suit, more suitable for sport jackets

Agree with ET that about your first bespoke suit; add charcoal grey to the list as well, although I think mid-grey is the best option

As for M&M, did you discuss your prefered style with them or did they recommend Fred after having a general chat.

4. JB2410

JB2410 Member

Yep. Thx. Have seen the moonbeam threads. Just looking for a suiting alternative.

Spent a lot of time discussing styles, which will be their house style for the more formal of the two suits. Suits are for my wedding. So formal mid grey suit already on the list. I want something different for the evening event, which means something less sombre,but really just tweaking the house style. Might work, might be a white elephant, but want to give it a go.They intro'd Fred as my cutter as supposedly he works for younger people. Given I'm the wrong side of 40 that was some statement.....

But I hear your advice. Thx.

J

5. E TF

E TF Senior member

Are you saying you want M&M to do a softer shoulder for you? I imagine, being military tailors, their usual product is the opposite. Might be best to go to a place who does a soft shoulder as standard, rather than getting another tailor to do something that they don't usually do. Especially for your first order.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  6. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

M&M is fine doing a softer shoulder - it won't be one akin to NSM or A+S, but softer than one usually produced by other tailors on the Row. They execute it quite nicely as well.

7. E TF

E TF Senior member

Ah, I see; interesting. Thanks.