• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mexico guayabera quality and cleaning

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just scored a set of guayaberas in San Cristobal in Chiapas, Mexico at Cab Guayaberas Finas in the center of town. Prices were M$800-950 for linen and M$550-600 for cotton. I received an 18% discount off retail after nearly making the store manger cry (with broken Spanish).

Anyone have feedback about this brand? I think it might be a rebrand as there are different brand tags on the shirts sold inside the store. Some lines seemed inferior to others.

Everything I got ended up Mandarin collar, short sleeved and no pockets, which I thought complimented my body type and unintentionally went for a more modern and casual look. Anyone have thoughts on current guayabera styling and is anyone a self-confessed guayabera purist?

calcoast

Reaction score
I would've gone for an EZLN mask, maybey some of those adorable Zapatista dolls...

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just wear in good health....

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I always thought that the key styling about guayaberas were the front pockets.

Though not a purist, I picked up a guayabera in PR about a decade ago. Loved the shirt until I got a stain on it. No one wears them here in Chile.

Can you post a pic?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Interesting,[COLOR=FF00AA] I always thought that the key styling about guayaberas were the front pockets.[/COLOR]
Though not a purist, I picked up a guayabera in PR about a decade ago. Loved the shirt until I got a stain on it. No one wears them here in Chile.
Can you post a pic?

:nodding:

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do not brag about those prices if you went to the market they would be probably be half or less(maybe not in a tourist town like cristobal).

On the label it is as good as any other.

The styelf oof the shirt needs to fit he occasion if you go to party in the istmo region you need one with a point or spread collar the same if you go to a wedding or some formal function with or without the sets of pockets... the mandarin collar is fairly informal something you could wear going normally to go grocery shopping.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Cab are one of the most respected makers of guayaberas in Mexico and indeed the world. They are based in Merida, Yucatan and have been making guayberas since the 1930s or so. There is a nice discussion of them in The Latin American Fashion Reader, edited by Regina Root.

They claim that their guayaberas have been worn by Dwight Eisenhower, among others.

They have a website: http://www.guayaberascab.com.mx/

I have two guayaberas made by them: one RTW in Cuban style and one made-to-measure in Yucatecan formal style. Both are long sleeved.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you know if they make MTM or bespoke on short notice? You're right, these don't seem to be the type you find in a market.

Uncle Ernie

Reaction score
I got mine from Mr. Jack in Merida ( http://www.jkguayaberas.com/index.php ). It's a formal affair, linen, long sleeved, spread collar and MOP buttons and was fairly expensive (for Mexico anyway, about $1600 MXP I believe, OTR). It's deffinitely a dry cleaning piece.

OTOH, some folks at the office (engineering center) wear guayaberas as business casual, typically cotton and short sleeve.

Last edited:

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the best place to get guayaberas in Merida? Different for formal and casual ones?

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score

Would you know if they make MTM or bespoke on short notice? You're right, these don't seem to be the type you find in a market.

I don't know if Cab offer a rush service. The shop in Mexico City on Insurgentes quoted me a turnaround time of eight weeks for MTM, and delivered (had ready to pick up) in about that timeframe. Best to call and ask, I guess.

Last edited:

Uncle Ernie

Reaction score
I did look around before going to Mr. Jack. Very close to the main square... 1 or 2 blocks north if I remember well.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip!

I went to Jack's but gut feel told me it was a cut below the Cab I saw in San Cristobal. I found Cab four blocks away and it was great stuff. The weird thing is they only made practically three models, with the difference solely in fabric (polycotton, Japanese linen, pure cotton and pure Irish linen). The cheapest is 950 Mexican pesos. I think the traditional model (four pockets and long sleeves, two narrow lines of pleats) is about 1,800 Mexican pesos for cotton. The Irish linen was 3,600 and I just got that as RTW fit me great. I asked why their models were completely different from those sold in San Cristobal (I really wonder if they were selling other brands, with at least one very close to Cab quality) and didn't understand the answer. I asked where in Merida they recommend casual guayaberas and they did say Jacks when prompted.

Anyone have any idea about cleaning and maintenance? From what I made out, the San Cristobal lady said you might hand wash the linen ones she sold me (I swear she was gesturing to take it into the shower with you). The guy in Merida said absolutely not, dry clean only for his Irish linen number.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Want to bump this. Anyone have updated tips on guayaberas?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads