• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mexico City Suggestions

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
My wife and I will be traveling to Mexico City this next week to visit her family. Any recommendations from members of the forum? In particular, any tailors / men's stores worth visiting? Despite several visits, I have yet to find anything particularly unique in Mexico City. I know that this isn't because they do not exist -- but rather because I nor my wife's family know of them.

One night is already reserved for a nice formal dinner. I will be debuting a new formal dinner jacket from Chris Despos. Pictures to follow, for sure. I believe the restaurant we'll be going to is either Hacienda de los Morales or Restorante San Angel Inn. Both very authentic Mexican establishments.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been to San Angel a few times, great place, you and your wife will love it.

I can't think of any really interesting clothes stores, but on the main square downtown, the zocolo (bad spelling) if the cathedral is 12, at about 8 is a shop that hand makes hats. pretty cool to watch.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
oh, and go to the anthropological museum

cmacey

Reaction score

My wife and I will be traveling to Mexico City this next week to visit her family. Any recommendations from members of the forum? In particular, any tailors / men's stores worth visiting? Despite several visits, I have yet to find anything particularly unique in Mexico City. I know that this isn't because they do not exist -- but rather because I nor my wife's family know of them.

One night is already reserved for a nice formal dinner. I will be debuting a new formal dinner jacket from Chris Despos. Pictures to follow, for sure. I believe the restaurant we'll be going to is either Hacienda de los Morales or Restorante San Angel Inn. Both very authentic Mexican establishments.

Yeah, register with the State Department: https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs/ui/.

Area threat: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5440.html.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Hi Kirby,

Just got back from DF myself. I'd say that Mexico is distinctive for the guayaberas and Panama hats made in Yucatan and Campeche. I still haven't done my research on good Panama vendors in Mexico City: I do know that a lot of the good ones are made in Bekal in Campeche. But if you like guayaberas, Guayaberas Finas Cab is widely agreed to make some of the best. They're widely thought to be one of the best at pleats and embroidery. http://www.guayaberascab.com.mx/
They do the traditional all-white ones as well as the new ones with colored embroidery. They have a store on Insurgentes Sur, just down the hill from San Angel. Nancy Sanchez, the salesperson there, knows her stuff. I just ordered a MTM (a la medida) formal Yucatan model from her: good heavy Czech linen, 2100 pesos. They can also make up in serious Irish linen for around 3400 pesos. Turnaround for MTM is about three weeks. Helps to bring along someone with good Spanish, of course. I'm still figuring out the Spanish for "placket!" They have in-store plenty of beautiful RTW models in linen and oxford-weave cotton. They also have shops in Centro and Polanco.

I did a bit of research into bespoke and MTM tailors while I was down there. Sastre Stefano is widely thought to do good bespoke work. They have storefronts in Centro and Del Valle. I haven't been, though, so don't have details on kind of canvassing, amount of handwork, house cut, or exact prices. http://www.stefano.com.mx/index.htm

I've not been to Hacienda de Los Morales, but have heard great things. I love San Angel Inn. Love to see a photo of you all there or at la Hacienda.

Is your wife chilanga? Mine is.

iQue disfruten!

PL92106

Reaction score
I'm no help for clothes there. San Angel Inn is amazing. First and likely last time I'll have escamole, which was pretty damn good after some ridiculously refined tequila (of course got the finger wagged in my face by the hosts as they thought I'd shoot it barbaric American fashion instead of sip it like a civilized person)... Fonda el Refugio is a regular (sit down casual) stop for me. The St. Regis is an amazingly good value if you need lodging recs... Even though they seem like they've been refurbed for tourists (would guess that the ancients had no concrete) but Sun/Moon Pyramids at Teotihuacan are worth the ~hour drive.

Last edited:

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This is a ton of great information! I'll definitely go check out Guayaberas Finas Cab and have a shirt made. If we have time, I'll also try to call on Sastre Stefano. Maybe he'll be interested to trade for some hangers... ;)

Pictures sure to follow. I'm looking forward to debuting this new dinner jacket.

As for my wife, she was born and raised in DF, so completely fluent. She is very helpful. Our time in the city is more culinary tourism than anything else... we go to all her favorite restaurants so she can get her "comfort food" fix!

spudnik99

Reaction score
Placket = Aletilla

Hat store on the Zocalo (the main square) is Tardan, if you go there, check out the Museo del Templo Mayor, it's behind to the right of the National Cathedral. The Aztecs (Mexica) were a warrior people, so their art has a modernist feel to it.

Clotheswise, Sastreria Adrian is also good, but most people buy things in the States (NYC, Houston/Dallas, SD/BH).

If you can only go to one museum, the National Anthropological museum is the must see. The exhibit on the second floor are merely ok, could probably skip those if you're pressed for time.

If you're up for it, go to the Sonora Market (Mercado de Sonora) to see all manner of witchcraft/medicinal wares.

Foodwise, only Tijuana, because of its proximity to California and immigrants for every state, can compete. Have your wife's family take you to El Charco de las Ranas for tacos and El Gallito for tacos guisados or their favorite taco place. The DF has good Lebanese and traditional Castilian/Basque/Galician restaurants.

Upscale places to check out in th: Pujol (Polanco), Azul y Oro (UNAM campus, or Azul in the Condesa), Contramar (Condesa), Merotoro (Condesa), Jaso (Polanco), Paxia (Santa Fe or San Angel).

Have some seafood and do a breakfast. Breakfast is hearty but good, some restaurants are only open for breakfasts for the hungover on the weekend. Again, your wife's family should be in the know.

Enjoy your trip.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score

Placket = Aletilla

Hat store on the Zocalo (the main square) is Tardan,

Clotheswise, Sastreria Adrian is also good, but most people buy things in the States (NYC, Houston/Dallas, SD/BH).

Thanks, spudnik. Do you live in DF?

If so, a couple of questions: Do you think Tardan is one of the best vendors of Panamas in the city?

I've also noticed that professional-class DFenios tend to think that buying US or Italian RTW makes more sense than buying Mexican bespoke/MTM or RTW. Professional people seem to buy local custom-made clothes at an even lower rate than their peers do in the States. Is this warranted by a lack of good local custom clothes, or is it just another facet of their inferiority complex? I.e., ever had Sastreria Adrian or Sastreria Stefano make you anything? How was it?

spudnik99

Reaction score
Lived in the DF for about six years during the late 80's to mid 90's, moved out because of the traffic, especially in the summer rainy season.

Tardán: Haven't shopped there in years. Years ago, I got a nice riverboat gambler palmetto hat from them that I still wear at the beach. Don't know of a better place to get a hat in Mexico, though at this point in time I'd check their hats for "Hecho en China" labels.

Sastrería Adrián: I have six sportcoats from them, did CMT with fabric that I smuggled in from NYC (tariffs at the time made getting good English cloth just ridiculous). I found out about them from a national politician, I complimented him on his clothes, asked if they were Savile Row, answered "No, I don't have time, they're from Sasteria Adrian". Canvassed, they've held up well.

Suits: When I lived in the DF, most people I worked with wore Hugo Boss suits with unvented jackets (Montblanc pen and Rolex watch were the accesories of choice). Dressing well and developing your own sense of style requires some knowledge, few men want to make the effort to know about these things, they just want to go to Antonio Solito in Polanco and ask for a Brioni or Kiton suit. They're buying a prestigious label for the extrinsic value. The construction and fabric quality that come with an Italian OTR suit are considered part of the brand, not something that can be replicated or bettered by a tailor. Yes, the extrinsic value is to compensate for their inferiority complex. The lack of pattern and/or color in local business dress here just screams "no confidence".

Last edited:

Outlet_cherry_picker

Reaction score
Mexicans normally go shopping to Houston or NYC, but Adrian is a very good taylor as well as Antonio Solito in the Mazaryk area (both have ridiculous prices). If you are looking for bargains you can go to Punta Norte Mall where you can find factory stores of Ferragamo, Zegna, Zanetti, and Solito(mainly Brioni stuff). The recomendations for hats and Guayaberas are excellent.
For a different dinning experience there is a nice restaurant of basque food in the elegant neighbourhood of Lomas, is called Bakea (Sierra Ventana 700-5. Col. Lomas de Chapultepec, phone number 5520-7472), another excellent restaurant of mexican food in Polanco area is Pujol (Francisco Petrarca 254. Col. Chapultepec Morales, Phone 5545-4111).
If you like modern art you can go to Ciudad Universitaria and visit the MUAC (Museo Universitario de Arte Contemporaneo) is close to the San Angel area and there are a lot to be seen around.
Enjoy our city and don't forget a light trench coat.

Last edited:

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the great information, spudnik. I'll check out Adrian and Tardan next time I'm there.

Thanks, Outlet. Glad to hear you think Cab are good people for guayaberas. As for Adrian: any ideas about recent pricing for their bespoke/MTM? I can't find much information online.

This thread is single-handedly burying the myth that you can't get well-constructed, durable Mexico-made clothes!

I agree that Bakea is great. Never been to Pujol.

Last edited:

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look out for street vendors selling belts. I found some nice, what I think, are shell cordovan belts for $20 a piece. They smelt terrible, but after being left in the sun for a couple months they became a wardrobe staple.

Outlet_cherry_picker

Reaction score
Pujol is actually awarded as one of the 50 best restaurants of the world as well as BIKO (also in Mazaryk area).
No idea of the cost of a MTM/Bespoke with Adrian, there is another taylor near the American Embassy, called Casa Cuesta (Rio Sena almost corner with Paseo de la Reforma) is not expensive, but check first if you like the construction of the suit specially the padded of the shoulder, the inners and the canvassed.

inkwretch

Reaction score
I met a tailor "sastre Jose Luis" in the Palanco neighborhood near the El Presidente hotel. He did some work on some slacks for me and I was pleased with the results. He said he worked with the top tailor in the city, who's name I cannot remember. He had some top English and Italian cloth in his shop that he was making up into suits for clients. I was going to have him make me a jacket in cotton or something inexpensive next time I was in town as a test. His phone number is 19973636 or 0445521992026. I don't have his address. Good luck! Please share what you find out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads