• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mexican Male Style.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While Mexicans in America may be criticized in the realms of society--presumably rather unfairly--I think it is time to address the most important issue of all: style.

I have noticed that many Mexican men dress much better than their American counterparts. When American men go out for various casual activities they likely wear something they got from a sports pub give-away; or if like me, you are in California, they wear something given out at a job fair.

The Mexican males seem to take a certain pride in their look, with boot-cut tight trousers with decorative embroidery, embroidered Western shirts, Western-styled suits, and jaunty cowboy hats. Of course, there are the requisite cowboy boots in numerous skins and color-schemes. Sometimes, they also wear large amounts of gold jewelry such as several rings and necklaces.

One distinct focal point of an outfit is a flamboyant belt buckle.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
While Mexicans in America may be criticized in the realms of society--presumably rather unfairly--I think it is time to address the most important issue of all: style.

I have noticed that many Mexican men dress much better than their American counterparts. When American men go out for various casual activities they likely wear something they got from a sports pub give-away; or if like me, you are in California, they wear something given out at a job fair.

The Mexican males seem to take a certain pride in their look, with boot-cut tight trousers with decorative embroidery, embroidered Western shirts, Western-styled suits, and jaunty cowboy hats. Of course, there are the requisite cowboy boots in numerous skins and color-schemes. Sometimes, they also wear large amounts of gold jewelry such as several rings and necklaces.

One distinct focal point of an outfit is a flamboyant belt buckle.

You must be going to different places than I in your survey of Mexican fashion.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
You must be going to different places than I in your survey of Mexican fashion.
I'm sure it wasn't Kent Wang's yard.

I've been to several places where Mexicans tend to frequent and while not everyone was dressed to the nines, some of the males showed a genuine care in their attire.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I'm sure it wasn't Kent Wang's yard.

I've been to several places where Mexicans tend to frequent and while not everyone was dressed to the nines, some of the males showed a genuine care in their attire.

I don't get the impression that any particular ethnic group in the US dresses better than any other. I would certainly agree with the assertion that people in other countries dress better than in the US, but as far as my experiences go, lack of style is prevalent across all ethnic groups.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get the impression that any particular ethnic group in the US dresses better than any other. I would certainly agree with the assertion that people in other countries dress better than in the US, but as far as my experiences go, lack of style is prevalent across all ethnic groups.

Really, I always thought young Asians, upper middle class whites and Blacks to be generally better dressed than others. That's of course in the case of Blacks, if you don't mind Hip Hop gear, which I'm borderline on. Most Blacks tend to take style seriously, regardless of which type of style it is.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Really, I always thought young Asians, upper middle class whites and Blacks to be generally better dressed than others. That's of course in the case of Blacks, if you don't mind Hip Hop gear, which I'm borderline on. Most Blacks tend to take style seriously, regardless of which type of style it is.

Well, I think generally richer people are better dressed than poor people, but in regards to specific races, I see plenty of examples of lack of style from all races. One could make the argument that they see better examples from any given race, but I don't think that's a general rule. Of course, YMMV.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember going to the Berkeley Flea Market--where incidentally, I bought my copy of Vass's Handmade Shoes--there were several black men who were extremely well-dressed. While they were probably not wearing Brioni or Borrelli, their ensembles were put-together and showcased a respect for themselves, reflected in their dress and in that case, headgear.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I think generally richer people are better dressed than poor people, but in regards to specific races, I see plenty of examples of lack of style from all races. One could make the argument that they see better examples from any given race, but I don't think that's a general rule. Of course, YMMV.
Your probably right, I rethought some of the things I see on daily basis, it's generally bad no matter sort style they subscribe to.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While obviously no ethnic group is going to have a style monopoly, there seems to be a greater incidence of seeing people from a certain group dress better due to unspecified cultural values.

For example, South Americans seem to take the idea of a well-dressed male quite seriously as a sort of "lifestyle" whereas Americans do not.

ts4them

Reaction score
******nevermind*****
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would certainly agree with the assertion that people in other countries dress better than in the US
Just curious, which countries would these be?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know where you are looking and what you are smoking. Mexicans wear either 1) their work clothes from the construction site 2) clubbin gear with top two buttons unbuttoned 3) loud rancher/western wear with a crazy belt buckle and cowboy boots 4) gangsta clothes with those old school Nike shoes with the rounded toe. Out of the 3 I guess I prefer #3.

Seriously, I don't think any ethnic, first generation immigration group dresses all that great. I kinda like Indian programmers, they are straight out of the 70s with those browns, oranges and thick moustaches.

The best dressers are usually at least second generation, which would make them Americans. So Americans are the best dressed in America, though many have no style.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Growing up in Texas and traveling to Northern Mexico I can attest to the style of the Mexican dude. Unlike the US, western style is the predominant style for the whole country and differs to the US in 2 ways. They wear leather belts with leather buckle and sisal hats instead of felt. Here is an example.
http://www.laprensa-sandiego.org/arc...5/corridos.htm

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Growing up in Texas and traveling to Northern Mexico I can attest to the style of the Mexican dude. Unlike the US, western style is the predominant style for the whole country and differs to the US in 2 ways. They wear leather belts with leather buckle and sisal hats instead of felt. Here is an example.
http://www.laprensa-sandiego.org/arc...5/corridos.htm

Personally I prefer the sombrero with blanket look. Effortlessly chic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads