• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Metropolitan Opera House Dress Code

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
I came across a ticket to a performance at the Met on a Thursday evening, and being as though I've never been, I don't know what to wear. Unfortunately, I only own one suit (egads.), but I'm a student, and I'm in a field where i will never need to wear a suit, so I'm sort of already ahead of the game. Anyway, it's a navy suit with a subtle white windowpane. Will this be appropriate? Do I wear a tie, or is a suit w/ shirt and no tie acceptable. I realize that in the days past going to the opera was the time when everyone dressed up, but unfortunately, I know that people have changed quite a bit, and I wouldn't be surprised if some jerks showed up in shorts or jeans. So, I'm just trying to guage whether my one suit is acceptable.

Thanks,

Dan

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You'll be fine.  There will be a small handful in black tie, but most will be in suits or blazers.  Black tie is really semi-required only for premieres and the season opener.

Monday night is also a bit dressier for some reason.  Anyway, with a Thursday ticket, you're off the hook. But wear the tie.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At least premiers at The Met are black tie, the Kravis center premiers consist of Hawaiian shirts (proceeds to cry at the lack of culture in SoFLA).

Last time I went to the met I wore a black suit 3-button SB (god, please not another 50 post thread.) with ticket pocket, paired with a white SB lapelled vest, a white RLPL white shark fin collar (keaton collar), with double cuff shirt, and a white silk tie with an angled waved pattern. All in all I have to say I looked rather dapper. It was not a premier however.

Jon.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
At least premiers at The Met are black tie, the Kravis center premiers consist of Hawaiian shirts (proceeds to cry at the lack of culture in SoFLA).

Last time I went to the met I wore a black suit 3-button SB (god, please not another 50 post thread.) with ticket pocket, paired with a white SB lapelled vest, a white RLPL white shark fin collar (keaton collar), with double cuff shirt, and a white silk tie with an angled waved pattern. All in all I have to say I looked rather dapper. It was not a premier however.  

Jon.
I lived in Boca for a stretch. I feel for you.

Dan

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last time I went to the met I wore a black suit 3-button SB (god, please not another 50 post thread.)
Jon, you were lucky that the ushers had not read Manton's posts or you would have missed the performance.

I go to the Met 2-3 a year with my dad (he black tie (overdressed), me underdressed in a navy blazer (won't wear a suit if I'm traveling). Be there again in 3 weeks. Agree with Concordia that a dark suit (black shoes) will be best.

Don't be a minute late, or you'll be sitting outside. Enjoy the performance.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was an article in today's Times concerning the dress code at the Met. It was fascinating. I think many of you would enjoy it. Arts section of the paper.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(imageWIS @ Feb. 12 2005,23:27) At least premiers at The Met are black tie, the Kravis center premiers consist of Hawaiian shirts (proceeds to cry at the lack of culture in SoFLA). Last time I went to the met I wore a black suit 3-button SB (god, please not another 50 post thread.) with ticket pocket, paired with a white SB lapelled vest, a white RLPL white shark fin collar (keaton collar), with double cuff shirt, and a white silk tie with an angled waved pattern. All in all I have to say I looked rather dapper. It was not a premier however. Jon.
I lived in Boca for a stretch. I feel for you. Dan
You're in New York now? Lucky bastard... (writing this as jealousy overfills me...) Jon.

PHV

Reaction score
(amirrorcrackd @ Feb. 12 2005,23:30)
Originally Posted by imageWIS,Feb. 12 2005,23:27
At least premiers at The Met are black tie, the Kravis center premiers consist of Hawaiian shirts (proceeds to cry at the lack of culture in SoFLA). Last time I went to the met I wore a black suit 3-button SB (god, please not another 50 post thread.) with ticket pocket, paired with a white SB lapelled vest, a white RLPL white shark fin collar (keaton collar), with double cuff shirt, and a white silk tie with an angled waved pattern. All in all I have to say I looked rather dapper. It was not a premier however. Â Jon.
I lived in Boca for a stretch. Â I feel for you. Dan
You're in New York now? Lucky bastard... (writing this as jealousy overfills me...) Jon.
Is boca not exactly have the class to match the money? I know several classical artists live there because of the weather and lower taxes in Florida, and may consider it one day. Is that ill advised?

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
(imageWIS @ Feb. 13 2005,19:16)
Originally Posted by amirrorcrackd,Feb. 12 2005,23:30
Originally Posted by imageWIS,Feb. 12 2005,23:27
At least premiers at The Met are black tie, the Kravis center premiers consist of Hawaiian shirts (proceeds to cry at the lack of culture in SoFLA). Last time I went to the met I wore a black suit 3-button SB (god, please not another 50 post thread.) with ticket pocket, paired with a white SB lapelled vest, a white RLPL white shark fin collar (keaton collar), with double cuff shirt, and a white silk tie with an angled waved pattern. All in all I have to say I looked rather dapper. It was not a premier however. Â Jon.
I lived in Boca for a stretch. Â I feel for you. Dan

Is boca not exactly have the class to match the money? I know several classical artists live there because of the weather and lower taxes in Florida, and may consider it one day. Is that ill advised?
I don't know, maybe it's not so bad to retire to, but when you're in high school, the place sure does suck. Jon, yeah, I'm in NY now, I was only in Boca for high school and left about 5 years ago. Dan

YoungFogey

Reaction score
You'll be fine.  There will be a small handful in black tie, but most will be in suits or blazers.  Black tie is really semi-required only for premieres and the season opener.

Monday night is also a bit dressier for some reason.  Anyway, with a Thursday ticket, you're off the hook.  But wear the tie.
Mondays are more formal because in the old days the various Society balls were on Monday nights. (Weekends were the preserve of the amateur leisure class.)

The dressiness of the Met depends to some degree on where one is sitting. Naturally, the more expensive the seat, the more formally the patrons dress. For an extreme example, jeans in the family circle is certainly possible, but I'd never imagine a t-shirt.

As someone who attends the Met several times a month, I think a blazer and tie in the orchestra should be fine. If you're in the parterre (the only seats more expensive), then wear a suit.

Black tie is required nowhere except the Opera Club, which has its own set of boxes in the dress circle at stage left. (White tie is preferred on Mondays.)

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(Concordia @ Feb. 12 2005,19:43) You'll be fine. There will be a small handful in black tie, but most will be in suits or blazers. Black tie is really semi-required only for premieres and the season opener. Monday night is also a bit dressier for some reason. Anyway, with a Thursday ticket, you're off the hook. But wear the tie.
Mondays are more formal because in the old days the various Society balls were on Monday nights. (Weekends were the preserve of the amateur leisure class.) The dressiness of the Met depends to some degree on where one is sitting. Naturally, the more expensive the seat, the more formally the patrons dress. For an extreme example, jeans in the family circle is certainly possible, but I'd never imagine a t-shirt. As someone who attends the Met several times a month, I think a blazer and tie in the orchestra should be fine. If you're in the parterre (the only seats more expensive), then wear a suit. Black tie is required nowhere except the Opera Club, which has its own set of boxes in the dress circle at stage left. (White tie is preferred on Mondays.)
I learned something new, interesting. Thanks. Jon.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a regular at the Colorado Opera. Our tickets are usually to opening night. I always wear black tie.

Last Saturday, we saw Handel's Julius Ceasar. (wonderful performance.)

As to how other folks were dressed: Perhaps a little over 1/4 of the men were in black tie. probably 1/2 were in conservative suits, and the other 1/4 ranged from polo shirts to sport coats.

Some interesting clothes I noticed:

A guy in a shawl collared tuxedo made from glossy satin, with the shawl collar made from black mink fur. This was not a look I found particularly attractive or classy.

A guy in a black tuxedo, with a very fancy silver bolo tie, and a jet black cowboy hat with sterling hatband, and very very shiny black crocodile cowboy boots. This was not a look that I would emulate, but it looked very good on the guy wearing it. My wife and I both thought it was quite handsome.

A guy in a tuxedo with an absolutely beautiful silk vest with gold brocade, which went very nicely with some gold studs and a white linen pocket square with fine gold edged trim. He looked very well put-together. Probably the best looking ensemble I saw all evening.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads