• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Metropolitan Opera House Dress Code

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Relaxed. FFS, I went there on the 31st of December for an 8pm show. People were dressed in odd jackets, some with jeans. Probably 40% of the men were in suits, out of which 95% wore ill-fitting ones and had ugly, badly tied neckties.
Wear a suit and you will stand out.

Christopher Essex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Relaxed. FFS, I went there on the 31st of December for an 8pm show. People were dressed in odd jackets, some with jeans. Probably 40% of the men were in suits, out of which 95% wore ill-fitting ones and had ugly, badly tied neckties.
Wear a suit and you will stand out.

...in a good way.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read this too late, decided on an elegant dark wrap dress, it worked. And yes, it was rather warm.

PASstudy

Reaction score
Heading to the Met in a couple weeks for a premiere. Don't own/want to rent a tux nor would i feel comfortable wearing one.

My choices are charcoal grey pinstripe or navy suit. Both SB, 2-button.

Any advice would be appreciated. The pinstripe suit is darker and looks more "formal" but, pinstripes. Is the rule of no pinstripes outside business setting still a big enough deal?

RaggedyDandy

Reaction score
Heading to the Met in a couple weeks for a premiere. Don't own/want to rent a tux nor would i feel comfortable wearing one.

My choices are charcoal grey pinstripe or navy suit. Both SB, 2-button.

Any advice would be appreciated. The pinstripe suit is darker and looks more "formal" but, pinstripes. Is the rule of no pinstripes outside business setting still a big enough deal?

I would likely go with the navy. Solid midnight blue or maybe burgundy grenadine tie?

Are you going to the Madama Butterfly opening? I'll be there as well...

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How often do you get a haircut?

• Every 2 weeks

• Every 3 weeks

• Once a month

• Every 6 weeks or longer

Results are only viewable after voting.