• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Method or plan when buying clothes?

dexterhaven

Reaction score
I'm curious how most of you, who are more experienced than me in dressing well, determine your next purchase. Do you follow any sort of method or pre-established plan? Do you just buy whatever happens to strike your fancy? Are you working towards a "complete wardrobe" and so consider everything you have bought already when determining to buy something new? Did you follow a plan upon starting out but once you got the basics abandoned it? Or did you do something else entirely?

Johnathan

Reaction score
Maybe it's because I'm still in the midst of forming my wardrobe, but I have a list going of stuff that fits four categories:

Stuff I really need
Stuff I really want
Stuff I kinda need
Stuff I kinda want

I tend to buy out of the first two categories most of the time.

Illuminate07

Reaction score
Usually I have looks that I want to acheive already planned and just go out and buy the pieces I need

imhotep

Reaction score
this may help
equationFlowChart002.jpg

Tek_

Reaction score
I buy what I need or if I find a great deal, i.e. I only have 1 pair of sneakers, so with summer coming up I bought a pair of Stan Smith Graph 1's, they're perforated to they should be perfect.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Usually the stuff i buy will fall under a certain category

fills hole in wardrobe
would work well to make a nice outfit with stuff i already own
a really nice piece at a good price i'm sure i could make work
practical and cheap where i know i could get some use out of it

erbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dexterhaven
Are you working towards a "complete wardrobe" and so consider everything you have bought already when determining to buy something new?

Yes. It is rocket science.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to divide what I buy into two categories, "work clothes" and "not work clothes." More recently, I've been trying to combine the two by getting quality basics. Occasionally, I'll find something that I really like, for either work or more casual settings. I think the best method is to try and see how each new piece will work into your current wardrobe, and whether you actually need the new article of clothing.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
I plan to buy black boots. Then buy whatever strikes my fancy while I look for them.

I still don't have black boots.

dexterhaven

Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.kevin
Yes. It's not rocket science.

Maybe not. But, at the risk of stating the obvious, people here take great care in how they dress. It stands to reason that they also take great care in selecting their clothes.

Chrono, well said. But what about buying things you don't know how to wear? Is that a way to waste your money or a way to extend your sartorial boundaries by forcing yourself out of your comfort zone?

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Both. Then again, i rarely buy something at a price i don't think i'd be able to make back or close to it selling it online (ebay or forums) unless i really know it's gonna be perfect. I've bought a few items i was unsure of at the time but ended up working out and allowed me to expand my fashion comfort zone. There's still a ton of stuff i need to sell either because it doesn't fit me (happens when you buy online sometimes) or i just don't wear enough.

bsyde82

Reaction score
Make a wishlist for each season, and take care of each item one by one as my bank account allows. That's my strategy.

whistler

Reaction score
I'm still building my wardrobe, so I have a list of things I need to buy. I've been slowly buying each item over time.

I find it helps to take a pic of the item first then check it out later for look and feel. A pic really seems to give a more honest viewpoint than looking in the mirror.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 'enough' clothes to get by, so these days I pretty much only buy things I'm totally in love with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads