• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Method or plan when buying clothes?

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bumping this thread because I'm in a sticky situation right now with what I will get

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still building my wardrobe, but am doing so rather slowly. I guess I'm pretty good at finding stuff that works well for me in terms of color, pattern, and general styling, but I suck at finding clothes that are flattering. My proportions are awkward as ****. Anyway, I haven't really answered the question, but I guess I just look for certain pieces that fill holes in my wardrobe and fit "well enough" that they have the potential to look good after tailoring. Since I'm on a tighter budget than some others, I do occasionally buy things that I don't love. For instance, I'd been thinking about some $55 J. Crew blue seersucker shorts, which would need tailoring to fit well. When I found grey ones at h&m for $30 that fit me otr, I kopped, reasoning that I could use the extra ~$40 for an OCBD on sale elsewhere. I haven't regretted the decision.

stoneb

Reaction score
I have a general idea of the sorts of clothes I am in the market for. I do a lot of looking around to see what I like most, then slowly put my wardrobe together, waiting until I see something I've been waiting for at a cheap price.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are certain items ill never get enough of, such as shoes, if i see quality good year welted shoes on deep discount, and i dont have something similar, i will almost always buy... the shoes can last forever if taken care of properly... or BoO shirts around $125 or less

There is also the category of things I am looking for (i.e lets say a canvas navy suit for $500 or less), and I wait around until I see something that meets exactly the category I want, and then I buy it..

Then my third thing is, pieces I really like for a specific season, I usually wait until I can get atleast 30% discount on it, and then I buy it... some more expensive ones, I try to wait for 50% off

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While shopping I measure my self esteem at the current moment then compare it to what it would be if I had that shirt.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Look in wallet
2) Empty???
3) Oh right, I work for a nonprofit now
4) AA v neck on eBay
5) Cutoff BDU
6) Hype sneaks
7) Got my swag on

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coldsnap
While shopping I measure my self esteem at the current moment then compare it to what it would be if I had that [insert material item here].

Exactly, I buy nice things to boost the esteem otherwise I'd be happy in russell sweats driving a ******* kiya and be 2gay.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Exactly, I buy nice things to boost the esteem otherwise I'd be happy in russell sweats driving a ******* kiya and be 2gay.

uhoh.gif

[ll]

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I buy stuff I like from thrift stores, or pieces that somehow make it to the clearance rack.

And occasionally I get gift cards and buy stuff full price only to regret it a few months later.

If i had money i would make more expensive mistakes, I tend to take 2-3 small/med bags of stuff to friends/back to the thrift store a year.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

clarity

Reaction score
No real method to it, 3 or 4 years ago I made a list of basic crap and have been working towards completing it as time goes by. I add things to it once in a while as I learn what's missing or when stuff wears out. Fit is obvious so I don't think that needs to be discussed. When a piece of clothing catches my eye I have to picture what other clothes it could go with, how it would fit in with my wardrobe.

Sometimes I just wing it, a few of my fav items that I wear very often were random purchases without much forethought.

mr.loverman

Reaction score
Start with the basics.

Buy clothes that are practical for your lifestyle and occupation.

Buy clothes that fit.

Quality over quantity.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads