• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Metal toe taps?

jester

Reaction score
I usually have heel taps and toe taps put on my shoes; these are always plastic or rubber or whatever they use.

Recently I had some refinishing work done on a pair of bespoke shoes--the toes were worn down, so they patched the front of the sole and added toe taps that turned out to be metal. And I find I'm rather liking it. It makes a satisfying click, but usually only if I want it to (it doesn't normally touch the ground first when I walk, and it doesn't click when my heel hits first); it'll never wear out; and it's even better at non-slippiness than rubber.

However, I've asked about this at my local repair place and gotten "are you crazy?" stares.

Anyone have thoughts about these?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have them put on all my shoes. I absolutely love them.

You do have to find the right place though. My local repair shop in NJ only has plastic. My local repair shop in NYC has neither plastic nor metal and has no idea what I'm talking about.

Just by happenstance, there is a shoe repair shop in my office building, which I recently discovered has the metal - they have a smaller metal and a larger metal tap. I have them put on the toes of all my shoes - I wear a different pair every day, and it's my first stop in the morning. Some day before 2008, all my shoes should have them on
tounge.gif

Will post pics this weekend.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And, and FWIW, I am really hard on my toes, and that's why I have them put on my toes. I had plastic put on the heels of a pair of Saint Crispin's, and I hated the way it felt. The toe taps, you don't feel at all when you walk. The heel taps felt really uncomfortable to me - like my shoes were uneven. That's why I only get the toe taps.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laxnate
Can you have heel or toe taps put on after the heel or toe area has already been worn down? Or is it best to have them replaced before adding the taps? I find that my heels wear down very quickly.
Yes, you can, but it's obviously better to put them on before the problem arises.

Pics to follow in 15 minutes

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are plastic toe taps (probably my least favorite of the toe tap options), as shown on Saint Crispin half brogues.

shoes010largerj2.jpg

shoes011largexg1.jpg

shoes012largevc9.jpg

shoes013largegl0.jpg

shoes015largezz4.jpg

These are the smaller metal toe taps (probably my favorite of the toe tap options), as shown on John Lobb Vintage 2002 in claret satin calf (8000 last) and Edward Green Southwold in dark oak (888 last).

shoes005largedn8.jpg

shoes006largesj0.jpg

shoes007largexi4.jpg

These are the larger metal toe taps, as shows on Alden special edition shell cordovan brogues.

shoes002largecv1.jpg

shoes001largesh7.jpg

These are an example of using toe taps on shoes that are already worn, filling in and protecting the already-worn area. The shoes are Stuart's Choice (Grenson) shell cordovan tassel loafers.

shoes003largeor7.jpg

shoes004largeoo4.jpg

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've worn both and I've found that the metal taps had a much greater tendency to scratch my hardwood floors.

johninla

Reaction score
have any of you seen the taps that are flush with soul of the shoe? i imagine these come with the shoe, but if they can be put on, i'd like to know. thanks, john

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes you can have metal plates (not taps) screwed on flush with the soles like pictured below. I thought of putting plates on some new shoes, but I found metal taps slippery so plates are out for that reason. With metal taps, the toe tips still get wear, though less. I also have similar experience with metal taps denting my wood flooring.

My cobbler now glues a small piece of Topy at the toe tip. He takes off some of the sole so that the Topy is almost flush. Grip is much better, and Topy last much longer than metal taps.

toeplate.jpg

maddy

Reaction score
Where did you find these at? I like metal...we don't have anything like these here in my area.
Where did you get them...I need contact info ifn' ya please.
Thanks a bunch.
Blessings
Maddy

Nonk

Reaction score
I have metal tips added to most of my shoes, as I do tend to wear down the tips of the sole quite quickly.

There is a long tradition of this in the UK and most highstreets will have a heel bar type outfit who can supply and fit them. (Timpsons etc)

The more complex matter of having flush tips added can be undertaken by any competent cobbler and indeed is also a popular traditon here in military circles. My father ( a sdid I) had all his dress uniform and civilian shoes so altered.

MaxJones

Reaction score
I had a lengthy coversation recently with a repair guy at the Lobb store adjacent to Hermes in Paris about shoe care and this is one of the things I was curious about. His suggestion was to add plates flush with the sole. It looked great but unfortunatelyI didn't have time on this trip to have it done.
It looks great though. I'd do it to all my nice shoes if I had access to a great cobbler.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to approach a cobbler to re-sole my Marteganis- I'm hard on my right toe especially- I wonder if he could do that with metal.

Great thread!

maddy

Reaction score
But Where Did You Buy Them??????i Want To Send For Some! Please Tell!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads