• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Metal toe taps?

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
I've worn both and I've found that the metal taps had a much greater tendency to scratch my hardwood floors.

[QUOT=Virginia Dandy;327780 +1 [/QUOTE]
+2

pnewelljr

Reaction score
What are the pros and cons of metal vs rubber toe tips?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What are the pros and cons of metal vs rubber toe tips?

Metal
Pro: Will last until shoe needs resoling
Con: Expensive

Rubber
Pro: Cheap
Con: Will eventually fall off

My advice is to go with metal.

Last edited:

Meurice

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Metal tabs at the toe are fine, especially when flush with the sole.
At the heal, they are a horrible remeniscent of the 1980ies. I admit I had a few pair of shoes at that way in the old days.

pnewelljr

Reaction score
Any options to have this done in the Financial District of Manhattan?

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Stanley's Cobbler Shop, 115 Broadway (entrance on Thames Street closer to Trinity Place). Charlie is the owner. I recommend them.

pnewelljr

Reaction score
Stanley's Cobbler Shop, 115 Broadway (entrance on Thames Street closer to Trinity Place). Charlie is the owner. I recommend them.
Have you had them do the inset metal tips? Do they know how do to it correctly? Do you happen to know the price?

pnewelljr

Reaction score
I'm still thinking of going to B Nelson, but I am not sure I can stomach $35 for a $300 pair of shoes...

pnewelljr

Reaction score
On a side note, after one to two months of wear, do my toes look like they are prematurely wearing? I know only certain people really need the toe plates depending on how they walk.

Meurice

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That is how my Crocketts look like after a few weeks.

pnewelljr

Reaction score
That is how my Crocketts look like after a few weeks.
Yah, these are Cheaney, but does that look like the toe will wear out before the rest of the sole? I have no idea what would signal that.

WhereNext

Reaction score
It really depends on how often you've worn them in that time frame (and walking how much, in what conditions, etc.), but I'd say it doesn't look like a lot of toe-specific wear. I'm one of those people who needs toe taps due to the way I walk: the toes of my shoes would be more worn down than that (on comparable shoes) in that time span. Again, it's hard to say though as you could be wearing those every other day for a 3 mile walking commute in the rain!

pnewelljr

Reaction score
It really depends on how often you've worn them in that time frame (and walking how much, in what conditions, etc.), but I'd say it doesn't look like a lot of toe-specific wear. I'm one of those people who needs toe taps due to the way I walk: the toes of my shoes would be more worn down than that (on comparable shoes) in that time span. Again, it's hard to say though as you could be wearing those every other day for a 3 mile walking commute in the rain!

I've worn them 2 to 3 times a week mostly. The toe looks slightly more worn than the rest of the sole I think. My goal is to go three years without resoling, but of course I won't be reckless.

Last edited:

WhereNext

Reaction score
Fair enough.
For me, $35 isn't much to extend the life of $300 shoes. But that's just me!
If you're worried about them wearing down too quickly, get the toe taps (obvious advice, but there you go).

emidyl

Reaction score
anyone know where I can get taps installed properly in Toronto?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads