Metal Tap Solution?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Frankie22, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

Anyone who uses plastic taps know how fast they wear out.

Metal taps are more durable, but are annoying due to making you sound like a tap dancer at all times. Does anyone have any decent solutions? I was thinking of purchasing and applying the "grip tape" used on skateboards to the taps. Perhaps that would be enough to dull the sound of the metal on the concrete and also durable enough to sustain?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

2. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I use plastic. They wear out after apr 4-6 months(I rotate 6 shoes.) My shoe guy charge 2 bucks to replace so no biggie....

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

You say it like it's a bad thing. [​IMG]

Actually, I only have one pair of shoes with metal toe-taps, and haven't noticed much/any extra sound compared to normal shoes (they all click a bit), and I think I'm quite heavy wearing on the toe area of the sole. Maybe it comes does to how your personal gait as to how much noise is generated from taps. I like the sound of clicking shoes, though, so maybe I just don't notice it much.

4. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

Mine wear out faster, but I tend to drag my feet : - (
    Interesting, I had metal taps removed from my shoes because they were so loud. I must have a strange gate.

5. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

+1
    mine makes no appreciable increase in noise.
    i like to think i walk like a normal person.

most of the sounds from my shoes are from the heel striking the floor - specifically the nails in the heel striking the floor

6. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Same here. They're cheap enough and don't take more time to put on that it takes for the average shoe shine. I'll have both done at the same time and am no worse for it.

7. watchingdetails2002

watchingdetails2002 Senior member

I use small metal plates on the heels. I hardly notice the noise as they say. But the larger the plate the more click. Talk to a cobbler. He sold me on mine. All my shoes have a small plate on the heels.

8. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

all my shoes have flush metal toe taps and plastic heels. the plastic heels wear out in about 2 months, but even in new york they are only $6, so it's not a big deal. i just pop into my shoe guy's place and he'll do them right there in 30 seconds.

9. Patek

Patek Senior member

I tried the plastic heels and they are terrible as they change the dynamic of the shoe.

Most of my shoes are EG and I have no truly exotic shoes so I never felt the need to put metal in them. My shoes tend to last me 4-5 years before needing to get resoled. Maybe one day when I get really nice shoes I will look into it but right now, I really don't see the point.

10. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

I suspect the clicking of metal taps depends on the pieces themselves as well a the cobbler putting them in. I have a pair of second-hand loafers with toe-taps that never make a sound. I love them, so I asked a local place if they could put taps on another pair of my shoes. Unfortunately the taps weren't installed as flush as my in my loafers (they might be a different brand, with a more convex shape?). They tap all the time. So I have one pair of metal toe taps I like, and one I can just tolerate.

If I could get the "right kind" of metal toe taps on all my shoes, I would. I never notice the first pair.

Then again, maybe it just takes a year to wear the toe taps in? They were really slippery the first couple of days. Maybe after a full year they'll get ground into shape. Dunno.

Edit: here's a picture of the two types, for reference. The left shoe is the older loafer with taps that fit seamlessly (silently), and the right shoe has a newer tap that has always clicked. Well, check back with me in another year and we'll see how it's improved.

[​IMG]

11. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

my metal taps have bent to shape the toe a bit. here they are on some lobb's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I kind of like the sound of the metal taps, but I do have a few shoes with plastic taps. They last a reasonable amount of time. They cost me $3 to replace at my cobbler. Not an issue.

13. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

The two main cobblers in Boston are ripping people off. I was charged 8.00 for taps last week (the guy who was there prior charged me 4.00).

I wear out my heel taps very quickly, clearly I walk strange.

14. Blakeyguy

Blakeyguy Member

I like the sound of metal taps on heels if they are on a solid/hard heel so they just make a hard solid click when walking. They do protect the heel as well,
    and if applied properly won't fall off like the plastic taps.