• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Metal matching conundrum

RichmondStyle

Reaction score
Are there general guidelines as to matching various types of metal that you are wearing. I have a gold wedding band, and the few times I've tried on a silver watch, it seems to clash. I feel the same way about having a silver-colored belt buckle when I'm wearing my gold wedding band and gold watch.

Am I crazy? Am I cursed never to wear silver-colored watches or belt buckles because of my choice of wedding band?
blush.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I am know to be fastidious about many things, but I have never, ever cared about metal matching.

Eccentric

Reaction score
Call me old fashioned, but it seems that fashion considerations should come as a very distant second to something as meaningful (hopefully) as your wedding band. Don't worry about it.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Easy: Ditch the wedding band.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Easy: Ditch the wedding band.

Or get another one in silver (more opportunities and all that).
tounge.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I am know to be fastidious about many things, but I have never, ever cared about metal matching.

Even for teeth?

the_gold_teeth_king_550x823.jpg

Originally Posted by Metlin
Or get another one in silver (more opportunities and all that).
tounge.gif

I have two, a Tiffany in platinum and a Cartier in yellow 18k. Sometimes it's for matching...but other times, it's for mixing.

I realize this is a bit Confuse-A-Cat. I like the option, though.

- B

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm anal, but I share the OP's feeling; it actually has always struck me as odd that so many men wear gold wedding bands with silver/chrome watches/belt buckles/etc.

Luckily I don't have to worry about it because I don't like gold/brass-colored metal at all, and so my platinum wedding band more-or-less matches the other silver-colored metals that I wear.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not worry about mixing gold with white metals. That said, I have a white gold wedding band because I don't like yellow gold much. I will wear it with titanium, polished steel, and brushed steel without worrying about it (and will happily wear it with a platinum watch if I were ever to hit the lottery and afford such a thing).

RichmondStyle

Reaction score
I've been married 10 years and the gold metal band was all the rage back then (or at least I wasn't hip to the white gold/platinum). I still can't believe that there are only a few people that see metal matching as an issue.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RichmondStyle
I've been married 10 years and the gold metal band was all the rage back then (or at least I wasn't hip to the white gold/platinum). I still can't believe that there are only a few people that see metal matching as an issue.

Think how impractical it is. You have wedding rings, belt buckles, maybe suspender levers, eyeglass frames, cufflinks, watches, tie bars, collar pins, the buckles on monk strap shoes. (Am I missing anything?) So are all those supposed to match all the time? Should you have two sets of each? Make sure only to buy in one color?

Too anal.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RichmondStyle

I've been married 10 years too. I think you just weren't cool enough. I got white gold and thought about platinum but was too po.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always make sure all of metals match. Frankly, I'm suprised to see that so many respected forum types such as Manton don't care about metal matching. I think metal matching is rather easy; only buy stuff in one color.

Cordovan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Too anal.

So even you have limits. Makes me wonder what other limits you have that you don't advertise.

But in all seriousness, do you feel the same with leathers (eg: briefcase, tote, belt, suspender straps, shoes, watch band, wallet, etc)?

Cordovan

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I have two, a Tiffany in platinum and a Cartier in yellow 18k. Sometimes it's for matching...but other times, it's for mixing.

I realize this is a bit Confuse-A-Cat. I like the option, though.

- B

So, how does it work? Different bands for different women?
devil.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cordovan
So even you have limits. Makes me wonder what other limits you have that you don't advertise.

But in all seriousness, do you feel the same with leathers (eg: briefcase, tote, belt, suspender straps, shoes, watch band, wallet, etc)?

Cordovan

I get my belts close to my shoes: black with black, brown with brown, etc. Not exact. For instance, I have not bothered to buy EG belts in the exact color as my EG shoes.

With suspenders, I will wear white ends with any shoe color. Otherwise, black with black, brown with any shade of brown. While I have a tan belt for tan shoes, I will wear regular brown suspender ends with tan shoes.

I have one briefcase that I carry no matter what shoes I am wearing.

I don't wear a watch, and I have one brown wallet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads