• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

metal collar stays / collar stifners

R. Prikazka

Reaction score
I just bought my very first metal collar stiffeners.
In each one, on the rounded part, there is a little hole approximately 0,75 to 1 mm diameter.
The lady in the shop couldn't tell me what the purpose of the little hole is.
Here is a picture of a pair of collar stiffeners with exactly the same hole:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...er%26Tyler.jpg

Can anyone tell me what these little holes are for?

Thanks in advance!
Razgorov.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps to hang on something when you're not wearing them?

R. Prikazka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Perhaps to hang on something when you're not wearing them?

I dont really think so. The holes are to small for a nail... They are barely wide enough for a needle.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Either way the plastic stays are better; they'll wear your shirt out more slowly.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Either way the plastic stays are better; they'll wear your shirt out more slowly.

+1

the metal ones i had ripped through the **** under the collar. stay with plastic they do the job and dont ruin anything (unless of course you leave them in during dry cleaning)

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

agree a thousand percent. I have some brass collar stays that put a hole in the collar of a charvet shirt. Poked right through.

plastic plastic plastic!!

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen metal stays sold on a loop/chain... dunno why they'd otherwise have a hole.

I've always used metal stays with no deleterious effects on the shirt.

rboat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by R. Prikazka
I dont really think so. The holes are to small for a nail... They are barely wide enough for a needle.

The holes are there to sew in the stays. If you leave them in during cleaning it is to guard against them getting lost. At least that is what my cleaners has told me in the past. If you do not force metal stays in your shirt they will not rip the shirt.

Aldehyde

Reaction score
Perhaps the hole is also to use when removing them. A small hook through the hole would make it very easy to pull them out.

R. Prikazka

Reaction score
That sounds quite plausible. And I think that if you leave them in whilst (dry) cleaning it will wreck the shirt. I intend to get them out every night and not leave them in whilst cleaning. Then they are in their place and cant do any harm. Thanks a lot people! Another mystery solved :)

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
1. Who dry cleans shirts? I hope by sending shirts to the dry cleaners you are sending them there to be laundered.

2. What kind of **** quality shirts get ripped up by the careful insertion of blunt brass stays into the collars? I wouldn't be happy if that was happening to my expensive shirts.

Geezer

Reaction score
2. What kind of **** quality shirts get ripped up by the careful insertion of blunt brass stays into the collars? I wouldn't be happy if that was happening to my expensive shirts.[/quote]

From my own experience, when I watched metal collar stays bugger up a number of shirts, the kind of "**** quality" shirts of mine involved included New and Lingwood, Harvie and Hudson and Hilditch and Key. It's not the "careful insertion", it's the daily wear and tear as the collar rubs against your neck and upper torso.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had numerous shirts for over 5 years that get worn and laundered at least 50 times a year and have always used metal stays. I have never had a blow out from using the metal stay.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by in stitches
+1

the metal ones i had ripped through the **** under the collar. stay with plastic they do the job and dont ruin anything (unless of course you leave them in during dry cleaning)

Originally Posted by DerekS
agree a thousand percent. I have some brass collar stays that put a hole in the collar of a charvet shirt. Poked right through.

plastic plastic plastic!!

Interesting - where to get good plastic stays?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads