• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Metal as a fabric?

vantheman

Reaction score
Looking on the Yoox website, I came across a blazer that had the following contents: Â "89% Cotton, 11% Metal" Forgive my ignorance, but is that what it sounds like? Â And if so, how is the metal part used? Yoox URL's are kind of funky, but I think this will link to it: Romeo Gigli Blazer

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm...never heard of anything like this before. First thought when I saw your post was that this jacket featured stainless steel panels on it, or chain-link accents, but looking at it, I don't think this is likely
smile.gif
. Instead, I think that extremely thin metal threads could be woven in with the rest of the fabric. I have no idea what the reasoning is; perhaps it is to allow the jacket to keep it's form, or simply to add a bit of shine and novelty to the jacket.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I remember a few years back reading about some (extremely costly) suiting fabric which had 18 carat gold woven into it. I also remember thinking, once the suit is worn out; one can melt it down and is left with a couple of gold nuggets.

I believe you can manufacture most metals into thin wires and even thinner yarns, to use them as accents in a woven fabric. Just think of the thin copper wire in an ordinary electrical household flex.. After all, Lurex, which is a metallic yarn, (I believe it is polyester with a copper or silver coating) has been around for many years.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do not know what knid of metal is used but ii is probaby some type of metal as said earlier that is made into extremely thin threads, and then woven.

The Chinese Imperial family used to have gold woven into robes so it is possible. Also I remeber Helmut Lang had a suit that was completely made of silver woven into a fabric.

vantheman

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everybody. I kind of thought it might be something like an accent thread, but I couldn't distinguish one in the pics.

I wonder if 11% metal means by area or by weight or what....

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, leaving aside the science, metal was a popular component in jackets for a couple of seasons, and gives the fabric a slight sheen. More importantly, the texture of material containing metallic thread is a bit rigid and often has a permanent crinkle. Think of that silver or gold material that you get around Christmastime, and you are about 50% there.

If you decide to get the jacket, post something about it.

nicepants

Reaction score
I wonder if perhaps the metal could be in the partially lined interior. Also, I know that Alexander McQueen worked under Romeo Gigli at one time and helped to create a process in which a metal was sprayed onto fabric to give it a metallic sheen. I don't know if that is the case here. It could be sprayed on the interior I suppose to make the jacket more stiff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads