• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Messenger/shoulder bags

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I'm sick of putting on a decent outfit and going to class with a ugly backpack. I was looking for a decent messanger bag type thing. I want it to be casual enough to wear to class and soon, grad stuff, but also relatively nice looking. Nothing too crazy, i'd definitely like to keep it under $100 since i won't be able to get extra work for a month. Some of the diesel bags on ebay were going for $50 and looked pretty nice. Same with some ones i've seen on the Fossil site. Just wondering what you guys do for bags for going to work or if any of you are in college.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen some rather nice bags from Timbuc2 and Chrome.
Personally I have a Uniqlo bag that was stupid cheap. I just needed a bag to carry all my stuff around when I was in Japan and my Icon Squad Backpack was just too big (and I didnt rent a bike like I wanted to). I liked the messenger bag enough that I use it as my daily for college.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are actually hauling stuff (aka more than 1 book, laptop+book, etc) messenger bags are really bad for your shoulder/back.

chronoaug

Reaction score
It's usually light books(history major) and notebooks. I don't carry my laptop around, so at the most it'd be a few folders, few spiral notebooks, and maybe a book or two but these are big chemistry books or anything. A messanger bag should do fine.

I live in florida, and the biggest city I have access to is Orlando. I can't find uniqlo in florida or online.

The jcrew one is nice, but a little dressier than what i'm looking for. I'd feel bad taking it to class with text books. I feel like i should have important documents in there.

Tiranis

Reaction score
I've got J. Crew and Diesel messenger bags, both are good enough for me. Though I still need some kind of leather bag—not necessarily a messenger.

I would recommend J. Crew—they're cheap, fairly durable and quite nice. And if you think the waxed one is too dressy, you're absolutely nuts. Seriously.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For under 100, I would suggest a leather vintage one. These can be found on ebay. These can last forever if they are well-made.

chronoaug

Reaction score
That's a good idea. I was kinda hoping to see what you guys are sporting to get a good idea about what to look for and what would look good for my situation. None of my friends care about this kind of stuff and i've never owned a messanger bag. I do think it's essential though, as i sucks when i put together a decent outfit and mar it with a ugly eastpack backpack.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I live in florida, and the biggest city I have access to is Orlando. I can't find uniqlo in florida or online.

Heh, hence the "I bought it in Tokyo" part of my story.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a vintage eddie bauer one that I picked up on ebay for about 60 dollars. It is great condition, beautiful leather. Distressed is in anyway, right (or is it already not in)? Get one that is naturally distressed.

amdi8

Reaction score
I highly recommend Timbuk2 bags. They're pretty much indistructible. I've had one for about 10 years of almost daily use on my bike through sun/rain/snow, and it looks like new.

Besides, you can choose whatever color combo you want through their web site (http://www.timbuk2.com).

And they're *real* messenger bags for people who bike, not look-alike messenger bags :)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amdi8
I highly recommend Timbuk2 bags. They're pretty much indistructible. I've had one for about 10 years of almost daily use on my bike through sun/rain/snow, and it looks like new.

Besides, you can choose whatever color combo you want through their web site (http://www.timbuk2.com).

And they're *real* messenger bags for people who bike, not look-alike messenger bags :)

Both Timbuk2 and Chrome make very good bags. Both pretty much indestructible. Chrome is a little more stylish, imo, and a little more expensive. I have both, and have to say that I like the Chrome more because it fits flat on your back, while my Timbuk two shifts around more, and because the padded shoulder strap is more comfortable that the Timbuk2 unpadded strap. On the other hand, stuff is far more accessible for the Timbuk2. For style, nothing beats a leather messenger from the first 3 seasons of John Varvatos though. Those are some nice, nice bags.

minya

Reaction score
I loved the Chrome bag I had, but their shape/the way they fit on your back makes them definitely designed for use on a bike. Obviously being a bike messenger isn't required, but Chrome bags are definitely most comfortable when you're bent over riding a bike.

tangerine

Reaction score
Crumpler has nice bags in the same vein as Timbuk2 and Chrome.

I've converted to Freitag but that's a grungy look and very pricey if you're buying in the US.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my buddy is launching his own line...

track and field

trkfldsp07.jpg

april

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads