• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Messenger bags

youngteam

Reaction score
Evidently I have a lot of questions.

I'm ready to retire my backpack and I'm looking to pick up a messenger bag -- something to carry around my books, phone, etc., in.

I've liked the Jack Spade bags I've seen online. Anyone have one? Or better a suggestion?

rsp1

Reaction score
A search should show several other similar discussions that may be helpful.

But, to add my 2 cents to the current threat, I have a wax-wear Jack Spade messenger bag in a dark khaki green that I enjoy (the main Spade line, not the bridge/Greene St line). As the earlier poster said, however, it depends on your planned use. Spade is a great bet for casual/weekend usage.

Personally, I am not a big fan of the coach bags - they have moved all production to asia and I don't think the quality is what it used to be. If you're looking to drop some $$ on leather, I happen to like Dunhill and Ghurka.

spinlps

Reaction score
Agreed on end use as far as the Spade bags go. I have a Green St. day bag that's great for a lighter load but fails miserably with laptop in tow. Not sure if the wax wear bags are better suited for the weight, but I'd pass on the Green St. bags for heavier loads.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Evidently I have a lot of questions.  

I'm ready to retire my backpack and I'm looking to pick up a messenger bag -- something to carry around my books, phone, etc., in.

I've liked the Jack Spade bags I've seen online.  Anyone have one?  Or better a suggestion?
Yes, there's a shop in Manhattan. I cannot recall name, maybe Manhattan Transfer, that makes very good msgr. bags.

Also, Bailey Works in New Hampshire.

Drew

Reaction score
I have Jack Spade's Field Bag in black canvas from the Greene St. line.

The Field Bag is 2" deeper than the Day Bag, and I fill this added space with:

"¢Â 12" PowerBook G4 in Timbuk2 Laptop Sleeve
"¢Â zippered bag of cords and peripherals
"¢ Periodical of some sort
"¢Â iPod + in-ear headphones and wired remote
"¢Â wallet
"¢Â mints, lip balm, Aleve, business cards
"¢Â sunglasses in hard-sided case
"¢Â car keys

Most laptop bags on the market are designed for machines quite a bit larger than my 12" PowerBook. And most of them look like they were designed to carry laptops. If not, most of the ones I have looked at are far too bulky and infested with extraneous pockets, zippers, and clips. Since I don't always carry a laptop, I prefer to drop a sleeve into a bag rather than carry a bag set up to carry a laptop all the time.

I upgraded to this bag from a Timbuk2 messenger bag, size large in waxed canvas with add-on strap pouches for cell phone and iPod. I like this bag but it is a little too casual and young for me now. I wanted something that was not multi-colored, smaller, laid flat, was sleek and simple and designed in such a way that I didn't have to carry gadgets on the shoulder strap. I work as a freelance graphic designer/art director, an industry renown for relaxed dress codes, so I definitely did not want a briefcase, but I wanted something a little more upscale than my old Timbuk2 gear.

The Jack Spade bag is the only bag I've found that is designed for pretty much exactly the way I use it and what I carry in it. I would like one with a little more space, but until then, this is the perfect bag for me.

Drew

Reaction score
Yes, there's a shop in Manhattan. Â I cannot recall name, maybe Manhattan Transfer, that makes very good msgr. bags.
Manhattan Portage? They make very good, affordable stuff that performs well and looks good from all that I have heard about their stuff. Manhattan Transfer, OTOH, is a vocal group.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Horace @ 10 Oct. 2004, 9:32) Yes, there's a shop in Manhattan. Â I cannot recall name, maybe Manhattan Transfer, that makes very good msgr. bags.
Manhattan Portage? They make very good, affordable stuff that performs well and looks good from all that I have heard about their stuff. Manhattan Transfer, OTOH, is a vocal group.
Yes Manhattan Portage. I know that M. Transfer is a group. I just thought the store was playing on the name. You know Messengering, transfering, and whatnot. Thanks. H

brescd01

Reaction score
The problem with canvas is not that it wears, but that after a few years it just does not look as fresh. When you are trying to look spiffy the bag is not an asset. Leather is more expensive in general but better. I purchased a Manhattan Portage bag that "suggested" a Jack Spade bag I had liked, 60 dollars versus over 200. It worked fine for 4 years until I threw it out a month ago in favor of a leather bag (160 dollars) I bought from Duluth Pack, which looks a lot nicer. If you do buy canvas, don't spend too much money on it.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patagonia makes a great one. They actually have two - one really looks like a bike messenger's bag. The other, the one I have and really like, is a bit more conservative and more like a briefcase. It's made of that heavy teflon fabric that many Patagonia bags are made of. I've got one in black and have used it nearly daily since 1994. Highly recommended. Ditch the backpack.

arvi

Reaction score
if you don't mind the expense,check out Prada..i have a black one with 2 outside pockets...it's very soft and unbelieveably tough for nonleather...i was fortunate enough to pick mine 3 years ago in milan when the euro was worth less than $1.00..still, i go for it even at today's exchange rates ..

minimal

Reaction score
if you are looking for a bag to go with more of a casual, downtown (as in east villiage) look, freitag makes the coolest bags around. each one is completely unique, made out of the advertising tarps on the side of european tractor trailers. tough material, & very very cool. here's an example, but they're all different colors etc (since the tarps are huge, but you often get lettering which i think looks nice). unique, and guaranteed to start conversation. freitag's website
23433.jpg

mylesmyles

Reaction score
From personal experience in owning both a Manhattan Portage and Jack Spade messanger bag, they are both great, and like other posters have said it depends on what you are going to be using them for. I use my Jack spade for work, and it is a wax canvas and i have to admit i think it looks better now than when i bought it. My Manhattan Portage is used on weekends and is literally bomb proof. I have put it through every test imagineable and although it has signs of wear, the construction has held up as expected. Just my thoughts.

Knicksfan

Reaction score
Hi - not sure of your budget but also consider Il Bisonte in NYC.  I have two bags from them (neither a messenger) and they will probably outlast me.  Only reason I have also added a Timbuk2 is that I occassionally like to mix it up (less formal/more casual) and Timbuk2 let me customize some colors.

Etro also has a small version (I saw it at Barneys - big $$$) It was a wee bit small but it was very unusual which I appreciate.  

Finally, Cole-Haan has a line of MB  -  mostly in leather but also in a "mock"? suede which I though was pretty cool.  I wasn't crazy about the "closure"....I dont want all my stuff to tumble out if the bag tilts open...

Good luck.

Drew

Reaction score
A saying I heard and like about the perfect bag:

"If you saw it unattended in an airport and wanted to steal it, it's the bag for you."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads