• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Messenger Bags & Briefcases in Toronto

spcl-k

Reaction score
I work at a creative advertising agency in Toronto and I was recently looking to retire my Jack Spade Messenger bag for something else.

I was considering a leather briefcase/messenger bag that I can put a few things in, including a laptop and a few files. Nothing enormous.

I've looked at a few brands (mandarina duck, hartmann, the samsonite black label) but was kinda iffy on all of them. I really enjoyed my Jack Spade bag but I'm looking for a little more formal and of a quality leather. I'm willing to spend approximately $300 - $400 and my limitations are my location since I'd like to go to the store and look, feel, smell (haha) it before purchasing and Toronto's not always biggest resource for affordable man bags. =)

Anyhoo, if anybody has some suggestions or recommendation, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spcl-k
I work at a creative advertising agency in Toronto and I was recently looking to retire my Jack Spade Messenger bag for something else.

I was considering a leather briefcase/messenger bag that I can put a few things in, including a laptop and a few files. Nothing enormous.

I've looked at a few brands (mandarina duck, hartmann, the samsonite black label) but was kinda iffy on all of them. I really enjoyed my Jack Spade bag but I'm looking for a little more formal and of a quality leather. I'm willing to spend approximately $300 - $400 and my limitations are my location since I'd like to go to the store and look, feel, smell (haha) it before purchasing and Toronto's not always biggest resource for affordable man bags. =)

Anyhoo, if anybody has some suggestions or recommendation, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I have a Tusting Clipper bag that I like. It goes perfectly with a tweed jacket, but is a bit too formal for jeans and a t-shirt. A Filson would be better for that. Betty Hemmings and Taschen in Yorkville carry Tusting. Wilson's fly-fishing place on Queen E. stocks Filson.

Tusting Clipper:

DSCN1001.jpg

Filson 256:

pFILSON1-2231581_filson1_dt.jpg

spcl-k

Reaction score
Thanks very much! I was looking at Tusting. The Filson's very nice!

How is the quality from mandarina duck? Would anyone know?

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That exact Filson bag, along with many others, are also availabel at TnT in Hazelton lanes. There is a luggage shop in Yorkville across from One Hazelton hotel that is going out of business, I'd try there to find a deal.

spcl-k

Reaction score
I've recently found a TUMI bag at Taschen that is similar to the below link.

http://intl.tumi.com/sundance/encino-brief/

It is the same size but without the handle and messenger-style priced at $395 canadian. I have the options of brown and black

Anyone got an opinion? Quality, Style, etc?

Thanks!

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spcl-k
I've recently found a TUMI bag at Taschen that is similar to the below link.

http://intl.tumi.com/sundance/encino-brief/

It is the same size but without the handle and messenger-style priced at $395 canadian. I have the options of brown and black

Anyone got an opinion? Quality, Style, etc?

Thanks!

I dislike Tumi. For the price of the Tumi, I think you can do better, or get something just as good for less. If I wanted a more casual briefcase in brown pebble-grain leather, I'd get this Tusting bag on clearance from Sierra Trading Post, but it is not messenger style:

Tusting.jpg

Delimit

Reaction score
The Mandarina Duck Work line is still great quality. The rest, though, are questionable. There's a luggage store here that has sold them for years. Was in there talking the other week and they said the File stuff just disintegrates. Apparently there was a shake-up at MD. The original designer left and the quality has apparently suffered as a result.

Oh, and the Alphaduck line is also supposed to still be up to the original high standards MD had.

I've got the Work stuff though, and it has held up incredibly well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads