Messenger Bag vs. Backpack

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spyderhawker, Jun 27, 2013.

1. spyderhawker

spyderhawker New Member

I am looking for a new, stylish men's bag for use in college

I am between the LV "Michael" Damier Graphite Backpack or the "Daniel" GM Messenger bag.

I dislike wearing and carrying messenger bags, and I am in love with the looks of the LV backpack, but at the same time, I am afraid wearing a backpack will make me look unprofessional. Also, I don't think a backpack is as timeless as a messenger bag, and I might not be able to pull off the backpack look in 5 years.

Any thoughts? This is my first major luxury bag purchase so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. emiristol

emiristol Senior member

That backpack is ridiculously overpriced ($2200? what the actual fuck) for what it is, and so is the messenger bag. They both have a generic check pattern and don't look like anything special. I would recommend getting a leather messenger bag a la (http://www.blackbirdballard.com/Images/Products/61786_1.jpg), which is appropriate for all occasions (class, work, etc.).

3. spyderhawker

spyderhawker New Member

4. SilentPartner

SilentPartner Member

Spend (much) less and get one of each. See which one you like and use more. Consider buying a nicer version.

If you're gonna spend 2k on a bag though, you'd better have the Ferrari to go with it.

5. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

I had the same dilemma and I chose Filson. Billy Kirk has some nice bags as well.

I found LV, Prada and similar players to be dramatically overpriced and way too trendy for my needs.