Message on Jantzen Website

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bch, Dec 16, 2004.

1. bch

bch Senior member

The reason the sleeves pull even with the same length is because with a Jantzen shirt, the cuffs are made to fit you properly, i.e. snugly, so the sleeve does not swallow your hand. You need to get your sleeves about 1" longer. You are probably buying your sleeves too short in RTW in order to compensate for the absurdly huge cuff (often 9" or more) normally found on RTW shirts. With a too-large cuff, when you bend your arm the cuff slides up your forearm. A properly fitted shirt will not do this, but you need to have the sleeve long enough.

2. shqiptar

shqiptar Well-Known Member

Sometimes, I don't understand why you guys would wait for months to get a MTM shirt from Jantzen. Even, if you pay less, it would make more sense to pay $200 for a MTM shirt from tailors based in U.S.. You either have too much time at your hands, or don't earn enough money.

Sometimes, you get to draw the line.

3. ken

ken Banned by Request

Does this mean we all owe Ricky an apology for accusing him of hiring sweat-shop laborers? I don't see how 100 12-year old girls could take so long to make a couple shirts. He certainly showed us. (Well, you guys. I abstained from the argument. Woohoo.)

4. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

It depends on what you value and how soon you need the shirts. MTM can be glacial even when you order from a US maker: Ike Behar took more than 3 months for some MTM shirts for me once. If you really value special order clothing, whether it's special order shoes, MTM shirts, or bespoke suits, you learn how to wait. Jantzen is exceptional for its sketchy communication, not its long wait times (relatively speaking).

5. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I'm with Jcusey. If you don't need the shirts anytime soon, and you've gotten your shirt to a nearly perfect fit, why not order 4 shirts rather than 1?

I do recognize there is value in supporting local shirtmakers, and plan on going that route at some point, but for now, the four shirts seem like a better proposition.

6. Ranjeev

Ranjeev Senior member

Most of the guys on this board probably have enough shirts that they can afford to wait ages for a shirt to come from overseas. I'm thinking about ordering some shirts and even if they take 4 months to reach me, no big deal, I don't really need them. More of a want. Don't get me wrong, I'll still complain like a SOB [​IMG]

7. agent.5

agent.5 Well-Known Member

I just placed another order of 5 shirts. I think Ricky is accepting orders once again.

8. water

water Senior member

In an effort to not create yet another Jantzen thread... [​IMG] How many people here order the "form" fit? I used to order "medium" cut shirts, but after a constant problem I was having with fabric pulling between the placket to right shoulder area, I readjusted my measurements and tried again from scratch. The shoulder problem has been reduced, but the new shirt is quite baggy. Therefore, I am thinking about going with the "form" fit this time around. I am a little worried because I don't want to get a shirt that looks painted on. Or a reject from a Seventies disco wardrobe. I also included a picture of a wide cutaway collar with the hope that Ricky can reproduce it as I would like to start getting wider collars than he currently offers on his order form. Up to now I was ordering either the 16 or 27. Has anyone else submitted a similar request? I e-mailed the order this morning so hopefully it passes the moratorium period.

9. Phil

Phil Senior member

You can get a MTM Brooks Brothers supima cotton shirt for $92.50. The cotton poplin and broadclothes were $105.00 last I ordered. Not a bad deal. They show up in 3 weeks, without fail.

10. water

water Senior member

Anyone have any thoughts on Jantzen's "form" fit? I would like to use it as a dress shirt, will it likely come out looking too tight for such a purpose?

What about having them create a wider collar? Anyone else ever make a similar request?

11. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

In regards to the collar, if they can create the monstrosity below I imagine they can meet your requirements. In regards to the delay let me repeat that there are 3 attributes in business from which you can only choose 2: fast, cheap & good. Â If you prefer fast and good then you should look elsewhere. Â If you chose fast and cheap you are on the wrong message board. [​IMG]

12. marc237

marc237 Senior member

Nice shirt, but I prefer four buttons at the neck myself.

13. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

I wonder how many customers they drive away with those samples they show in the 'lastest styles' page.

14. water

water Senior member

The 'Latest Styles' page is shudder inducing.

Has anyone tried the "hard" interlining on Jantzen's collars? I wonder if anyone would be willing to recommend it? I usually get the "regular", but the collar of the last shirt I ordered seemed a little flimsy...

15. VMan

VMan Senior member

What are you talking about? I LOVE those. I just ordered this, except I went for the 5-button collar, 4-button cuffs, and got it in pink with mint green collar and cuffs: [​IMG] [​IMG]