• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Message from Sysdoc

Status
Not open for further replies.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
For the record, this is the first correspondence I've had with/from Sysdoc since the recent meltdown from the Vass incident.

subj: intellectual property and the legal implications

Dear J,

I am politely asking you to totally remove my mirror shine guide from the SF wiki. The same goes for those of my pictures that happen to still show in postings of other members. I'm sorry for having to remind you that the articles as well as pictures are my intellectual property. I do not want said items to be available to others through SF anymore.

Please understand that I happen to be the owner of an international publication. We have lawyers that deal with copyright violations on a daily basis. I would hate it, should you force me to pick up the phone and get in touch with them.

I hope that we can move on from here. Just see me as one of many posters that never provided anything of essence and that never took away anything from you as well.

Naturally, I wish you all the very best.

Thomas aka //sysdoc//
Would you all please remove any references to sysdoc's pictures from any of your posts, and would someone please remove his article from the wiki? Luckily, I have never read the article, so once it is gone I can go and post a guide to getting a mirror shine that will not be a paraphrase of a copyrighted work.

I wouldn't want to have legal action taken against me.
dozingoff.gif

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My sympathies. I never cease to be astounded by the extent to which such importance is attached to those things that ought just be fun. I am totally comfortable with the notion that any of my "intellectual property" is presently worth so little as to be available in the remainder bin of the local 99 cent store.

Duveen

Reaction score
To give sysdoc credit, he did put a ton of time and effort into putting this stuff together, taking great photos, sharing his thinking. His postings were of real value. It is a crying shame that he has decided to do this, but it isn't as if he is a crank who doesn't add real value. What I'd suggest that J do is get boilerplate language saying 'what you post on a public forum is public and becomes the property of the forum within 24 hours' or immediately. That way those who post won't be under any illusions...

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is why I never ******* read the Men's Clothing forum.
Seriousbusiness2.jpg

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So ridiculous. Screw the illusions. He knows that his posts are public domain now. He knows that he intentionally put them out there on the boards. Let him contact his lawyers.

Tibo

Reaction score
Now is it me or is this whole thing becoming really ridiculous ?

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duveen
To give sysdoc credit, he did put a ton of time and effort into putting this stuff together, taking great photos, sharing his thinking. His postings were of real value. It is a crying shame that he has decided to do this, but it isn't as if he is a crank who doesn't add real value.

What I'd suggest that J do is get boilerplate language saying 'what you post on a public forum is public and becomes the property of the forum within 24 hours' or immediately. That way those who post won't be under any illusions...

You know, I do agree that his posts have value - I was being purposely self-deprecating. But, no matter how much work go into those posts, they are still posts placed for fun and with no expected commercial purpose.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Call his bluff.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tibo
Now is it me or is this whole thing becoming really ridiculous ?

Agree.

I'm amazed by how quickly one can go from totally cool to totally lame. That email is just plain ridiculous (wait, am I going to get sued for saying that?
dozingoff.gif
)

Sad outcome...
frown.gif
crazy.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
This is why I never ******* read the Men's Clothing forum.

Do you think that inserting "*******" into your sentence makes it any stronger or more important or you any older? Do you always need to swear?

Regardless of what happened and how it happened, it is a shame to lose Thomas' good information. Unlike others who have attempted to teach from a position of little knowledge, Sysdoc added a lot of knowledge to the forum. Don't forget that the bulk of that info was in response to a question asked by another poster. I can't think of a poster other than Thomas who was more willing to explain or show what he knew.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ban his ass if he isn't already

I think I'll copy+paste his article on my hard drive before it gets removed.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm with Matt on this one. Thomas' photo essays were awesome. Ask a question about a an EG, C&J or JL last or model and you would get a half dozen magazine quality photos to answer your question. Where else are we getting that? I'll miss it.

I'm quite sorry to see him go but let's just honor his request and move on.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duveen
To give sysdoc credit, he did put a ton of time and effort into putting this stuff together, taking great photos, sharing his thinking. His postings were of real value. It is a crying shame that he has decided to do this, but it isn't as if he is a crank who doesn't add real value.

What I'd suggest that J do is get boilerplate language saying 'what you post on a public forum is public and becomes the property of the forum within 24 hours' or immediately. That way those who post won't be under any illusions...

Ambulance, johnnynorman, RJman, can one of you guys draft something for us and PM the mods. This may be the only solution. Geez, this is getting out of control... Everyone have a glass of Glenlivet or something...

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if it's any consolation for those that find the mirror shine guide useful and want it for future reference, all you have to do is cut and past the info into a word document for your personal use. Granted it won't be available to new members if it's removed, but that's not going to prevent them from getting info on how to shine their shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads