• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mercury in High Fructose Corn Syrup

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The story hasn't gotten much attention, at least not yet.
Link.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just combine the overblown negative connotations of both chemicals into one story and then we don't need any actual facts.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's real. I've stopped letting the kids eat anything with HFCS. Douchebag food mfr's. What's wrong with SUGAR? (Escept less subsidies for the corn farming agribusinesses)
plain.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like corn syrup either, but that report was written in a dubious and unscientific fashion. Where's the information about the controls? Where are comparisons to foods without corn syrup? Where are the comparisons to vegetables? Where are the comparisons to fish? Where is the information that puts the material in context -- the hallmark of scientific writing? They are talking peak concentrations on the order of 100 parts per triilion. If this http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...63052/abstract actual scientific report is to be believed, their study of common foods indicates mercury levels of 0.01 to 0.03 parts per million. In those terms, the HFCS study found mercury content at levels of up to (the highest I saw) 350 ppt, which is 0.00035 parts per million. So it might be nice if this was kept in perspective. ~ H

B1FF

Reaction score
As the EPA permits 2ppb in drinking water, I guess I should start drinking HFCS as low-mercury health food..

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
It's real. I've stopped letting the kids eat anything with HFCS. Douchebag food mfr's. What's wrong with SUGAR? (Escept less subsidies for the corn farming agribusinesses)
plain.gif

Real sugar is expensive relative to HFCS. I gave it up along with partially hydrogenated oils about 4 years ago. It's difficult because these two things in so many packaged foods and drinks. I just go to Whole Foods now.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Real sugar is expensive relative to HFCS. I gave it up along with partially hydrogenated oils about 4 years ago. It's difficult because these two things in so many packaged foods and drinks. I just go to Whole Foods now.
Isn't it only cheaper because of corn subsidies? If not, why is HFCS far less prevalent in other countries, even Mexico where HFCS would be cheap to import?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll stick with Salmon from Lake Michigan. It's got a lot higher concentration of mercury and tastes better too.

Anyway just more hyperbolic sensationalism over what amounts to nothing.

mr_economy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Isn't it only cheaper because of corn subsidies? If not, why is HFCS far less prevalent in other countries, even Mexico where HFCS would be cheap to import?

Yeah it's almost exclusively because of our horrendous subsidies and the equally putrid farm bill.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my kids have 0 hfcs. not in our house.

corn syrup and soy (the filthiest crop i can think of) are banned in our house. only cane sugar if any here.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
better be careful with your recreational candy making. you're playing with fire apparently.

Originally Posted by why
Just combine the overblown negative connotations of both chemicals into one story and then we don't need any actual facts.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
kunk- I have heard that soy increases the amount of progesterone your body produces, but I am unfamiliar with any other negative side affects of its consumption. Could you elaborate as to why you've banned it in your home?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
HFCS is gross. The only thing in my kitchen that contains HFCS is jam, mostly because organic/natural jams are pricey.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
for this very reason plus it's a very dirty and highly sprayed crop.

Originally Posted by robbie
kunk- I have heard that soy increases the amount of progesterone your body produces, but I am unfamiliar with any other negative side affects of its consumption. Could you elaborate as to why you've banned it in your home?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads