1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mercer and Sons

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by waitwhat, Aug 11, 2007.

1. waitwhat

waitwhat Active Member

I've lurked a bit on askandy, and I noticed that Mercer and Sons was a brand of shirt that was often recommended. As I am a pretty slim guy, I was wondering about their "full cut". I have been pondering a purchase for about the last 2 months. Does anyone have pictures to confirm how much fullness to expect?

2. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I don't have a pic, but from everything I've heard and seen, they're big. However, and alterations tailor can take in the side seams for very little money. I've had it done before.

3. gracian

gracian Senior member

You can also ask Dave Mercer to make a slimmer fit shirt for you. Yes, the regular shirts are fuller in comparison to a typical Brooks Brothers shirt of the same size.

4. waitwhat

waitwhat Active Member

How much can a tailor take in? I have never really used a tailor to take in the side seams, so I could try that. Another problem to factor in is that I have a size 16 neck in a 14.5 body which means that when I buy a shirt to fit my neck, it looks really bad at the waist. I heard that Mercer was open to using a smaller size body(eg. a 15 body for a 16 neck) for big-necked people like me. Still, awaiting on pictures...

5. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Unless you are a freak of nature resembling a Pez dispenser (I don't think you are...at least, I hope not!), the tailor can take in more than you will need. There are no things like side pockets, darts, etc. to be concerned with, unlike a coat. However, I hadn't even considered gracian's idea of asking Mercer to do it from the beginning...probably better.

6. waitwhat

waitwhat Active Member

Sorry about the flurry of questions, but can a tailor also take in the sleeve width?

7. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Why buy a shirt that has to be tailored every which way?

Try custom...Or quite a few slim fits can be found online for a more reasonable price.