1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mercedes

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by audiophilia, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I had a response on the rotor comment (is it just me or is it hard to type 'rotor'?) but some quick google-fu convinced me otherwise. But, seriously, why is MB/BMW so keen to put single-use rotors on their cars? They are still made of steel, right? Do they just like soaking their customers?

The oil changes, yeah - but you're talking a considerably longer interval between changes, up to 15,000 miles depending on your driving conditions.

And if you're not scared to turn wrenches, you can get OEM parts from peachparts, along with a lot of technical advice, for reasonable amounts. Benzworld.org has a fantastic DIY section that's far and away better than anything I've ever seen. They've gotten me through a fair number of service needs, and helped me to outsource one process that had me worried.

Now the factory tools (HAZET), those are expensive!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Same question, its fucking annoying. My mechanic says its braking performance. I dont know about MB/BMW, I drive an Audi and this is standard procedure. They are made of steel but its a slightly softer compound of metal. If you try and go 2 sets of pads you risk a broken rotor, failed inspection, and pads wear faster since there is a wear pattern in the rotor.

Not for me. I do mine every 7k. Mechanic prefers 5k, manual says 8k.

Problem is the computer. You have to do everything in conjunction with operations on the cars computer. For example, for my car, you cant just crimp the caliper pistons, its an operation on the computer, etc. Not that simple. Its not worth the effort for me.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

The rotors are steel, not cast iron?

4. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

[​IMG]

My last car was a 06 C-Class. I remember getting into a car discussion at the local car wash with this bright young lawyer and she insisted that I had spent about 50k for it. Who was I to disagree? I did make sure to get her telephone number so that we could continue the discussion over drinks [​IMG]

5. StyleMax

StyleMax Member

RARE!!!!

6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

When the hell are they going to update the C-class? I feel like the current body style has been in production for like 8 years.. :confused:

7. Rumpelstiltskin

I still don't understand why Merc discontinued the 6 speed manual in the C350 for 2008. If you are going to make a sport sedan you must have 3 pedals. I hope they rectify this problem with the next redesign.

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I recall the C-class update following a year after the S-class, but I may be mistaken. The new S is coming soon for 2014, so if I'm correct the C should be 2015.

9. Rumpelstiltskin

Based on the architecture of the new A-Class hatchback, from launch the CLA will be offered with a choice of three different drivetrains. However the U.S. will only be getting one option, and that comes in the form of the CLA 250, which is powered by a turbocharged 1.8 litre four-cylinder engine producing 208 horsepower and 258 lb-ft (350 Nm) of torque. A seven-speed automatic transmission and FWD
    [​IMG]
    is standard, while a 4Matic AWD system developed with the help of AMG will be optional.

Other markets will have the extra choice of the CLA 180 and the CLA 220 CDI. The CLA 180 is powered by a 1.6 litre four-cylinder producing 122 horsepower and (147 lb-ft) 200 Nm of torque. While the CLA 220 CDI offers 170 horsepower and 258 lb-ft (350 Nm) of torque from its 2.2 litre direct-injection diesel engine.

Later more drivetrain options, including an AMG-powered version will become available.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013