Mercedes

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by audiophilia, Nov 28, 2012.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Value? I don't know. Wait until you have a few services under your belt. Japanese cars are a fraction of the price from a maintenance perspective. In addition, most German cars use more fuel.

Just to say you had a lower purchase price doesn't tell a complete story.

I've driven German cars for the last 15 years. I feel I sacrifice some value for the quality of the ride. I don't drive a Merc, my current car is an Audi, they are pretty comparable cost of ownerships. 4 brakes for me is a $1500 bill. An Odyssey would probably cost $400. Talking to other owners I know, its generally understood you don't go this route to be frugal. Even a Jetta would cost more to maintain than an Odyssey.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

http://www.vw.com/en/owners/parts-and-accessories/service/carefree-maintenance.html

Probably not.

3. dah328

dah328 Senior member

That's because the value of a staggered tire setup is generally increased lateral traction in good road conditions. Staggered setups are generally of little or even negative value in adverse weather conditions which is why narrower tires are often preferred for winter and especially for snow conditions.

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

MB discussed this with me - they felt the car's safety mechanisms work best with OEM spec tires in all driving conditions. Since I had run a staggered winter setup on my previous MB and currently have a staggered winter setup on my Porsche, I was comfortable following their recommendation.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  5. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Interesting. The E class owners manual suggests a non staggered winter setup for the AMG. Does yours suggest otherwise?

6. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

IDK, I went directly to the MB techs and didn't check the manual.

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Snow covered streets this morning so I left the SUV and AWD car in the garage and tested my new tires on the AMG. Success. :slayer:

I'm ready for my holiday travels over the river and through the woods northward. :)

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

lol! I love how you took the car least suited (technically, due to the RWD) to drive in the snow instead :slayer:

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I love thrills. :laugh:

More seriously, it's what I want to drive for my forthcoming holiday travels which will take me towards your neck of the woods up north. Knowing that it'll handle possible snowy conditions through the Pennsylvania mountains makes me happy.

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Considering you have other options sitting in your garage, I'd think twice. While I'd also prefer to take the car thats more fun to drive, I wouldnt, and you wont feel that way anymore in a ditch.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  11. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

My impression is that winter tires are more important for traction than the type of drive. Eg RWD with winter tires handle better than AWD with all seasons.

12. Piobaire

Says the guy telling us about using his sedan with high perf tires on unplowed roads. :laugh:

13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Four brakes for $1500?? My race car didn't cost that much to repair the brakes. My fiance drives a mercedes, I drive an Acura. I'm routinely shocked at how often her car costs an obnoxious amount of money for relatively small fixes. Both low mileage cars.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  14. Piobaire

That sounds about right. I've not had to replace brakes on an MB yet (thank god) but my Rover was 2k.

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Good googly moogly. Do they replace the rotors, calipers, and master cylinder for that?

Actually, for a time my wife was hell bent on a Rover, and I'm usually pretty accommodating but when I heard their V8 engines tend to have problems around 70k miles, I put the brakes on that.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012