• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mercedes S65 or Bentley Continental GT?

princemarko

Reaction score
Looking to buy one of them this year some time.

I know, 2 door vs 4 door, but I dont like the Flying Spur looks.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Bentley is more special, and I'd feel more special driving it. I've always liked British cars the best, they're the only ones left who make a distinct looking motorcar.

princemarko

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I think the Bentley is more special, and I'd feel more special driving it. I've always liked British cars the best, they're the only ones left who make a distinct looking motorcar.

Yeah, I know. However, the S65 is a stunning car inside and out. Also, I have a mechanic here that was trained in Germany by Mercedes that can service the car if i dont want to take it to the dealer for things.

But that Bentley is a gorgeous car.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can afford the Bentley, I would certainly go for it. I have ridden in one (never driven) and the ride was nothing short of fantastic.

princemarko

Reaction score
The Bentley I can pick up for $90k-120k with less than 10k mileage, the Mercedes is $140k + with the same mileage.

My only concern is the long term reliability of the Bentley. This is a daily driver I'm going to use it for, so I want reliability also.

princemarko

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J'aimelescravates
Which model year are you looking at for both?

2007 or 2008 Mercedes S65

2006 Bentley Continental GT

I really dont like buying absolutely brand new cars because of the level of depreciation. Something with less than 15k on the odometer is satisfactory for me.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by princemarko
2007 or 2008 Mercedes S65

2006 Bentley Continental GT

I really dont like buying absolutely brand new cars because of the level of depreciation. Something with less than 15k on the odometer is satisfactory for me.

You know that's not necessarily a **** idea.

Is there a disadvantage to not buying totally new?

If a car is still in great shape, is it really undesireable to buy it previously owned?

princemarko

Reaction score
Any car I get used will be certified by the dealership and have a warranty on it.

No, I did not consider the CL63. The 6.2 liter engine doesnt cut the mustard for the cost associated with it. The CL600 is nearly the same cost as the AMG version. So why not get the AMG?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any car I get used will be certified by the dealership and have a warranty on it.

No, I did not consider the CL63. The 6.2 liter engine doesnt cut the mustard for the cost associated with it. The CL600 is nearly the same cost as the AMG version. So why not get the AMG?

How long is the warranty good for?

How much does the Bentley retail for new? How much would it depreciate after say, 2 years driving it... maybe 80k on it?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Bentley I can pick up for $90k-120k with less than 10k mileage, the Mercedes is $140k + with the same mileage.

My only concern is the long term reliability of the Bentley. This is a daily driver I'm going to use it for, so I want reliability also.

This is a hell of a good deal, much less than I was expecting. I'd still go with the Bentley- I understand you are concerned with the reliability, but the money you saved from not buying the MB could go toward any repair issues that may come up.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're reliable cars, especially their engines. My grandpa still has a Bentley Azure from god knows when that he drives often.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
They're reliable cars, especially their engines. My grandpa still has a Bentley Azure from god knows when that he drives often.
When the revolution comes the proletariat will be driving that Azure.

vc2000

Reaction score
Before you buy look at the upkeep costs...I've had a MB so I know the costs...I've only had to do tires, oil changes and basic upkeep. The costs are high but the quality has been good.

One of my friends has a Bentley GT that is just out of warranty - his last repair bill was $8k which would offset the lower purchase price quickly. His repairs he wouldn't have to do to a Toyota so not sure why he should pay for them for a much more expensive car but just my opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads