• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mercedes S65 or Bentley Continental GT?

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get the S65. The appointments, on top of the raw performance, make it, in my opinion, one of the most attractive cars on the road.

ccffm1

Reaction score
Get the Bentley. It´s such a classy car. Paris Hilton has one, too:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
Get the S65. The appointments, on top of the raw performance, make it, in my opinion, one of the most attractive cars on the road.
Yep, a complete package of luxury and high performance.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks worse than ass, it's one of the ugliest cars currently produced

wt888

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
It looks worse than ass, it's one of the ugliest cars currently produced

No, that award would have to go to the Cayenne.

ArMiXiA

Reaction score
Get the Bentley such a nice mix of luxury, performance, yet the s65 will have more flash with tis bolder design IMO.

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArMiXiA
Get the Bentley such a nice mix of luxury, performance, yet the s65 will have more flash with tis bolder design IMO.

I think you have the 2 cars mixed up.

Tidybeard

Reaction score
My boss just straight-swapped his 2 year old S65 for a 12 month old Conti GT cabrio. I've driven both and they are excellent cars but at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Mercedes service/reliability (here in the UK at least) has improved markedly over the last couple of years - I drive an E320CDI and have put 70k miles on it from new with minimal outlay over and above standard maintenance. It feels like it will do another 100K easily, which is more than can be said for my previous car, an 04 Jag XJ8 which felt like it was about to fall apart at 80k miles.....

I happen to live about 3 miles from the Bentley factory in Crewe and have toured the place, as well as having a few friends working there. While the GT does share some VAG underpinnings they are extremely well engineered ones and the Contis have an excellent reputation for reliability. P1 (a supercar membership club local to me) rates the GT as the best option as an ownership package in this class with the lowest overall maintenance costs and highest reliability. In terms of depth of engineering, the DB9 and its offshoots are not in the same league, apparently.

The S65 is also a spectacularly engineered car and is unlikely to let you down. In terms of image it's an awfully long way away from the Conti and it's likely to be a higher depreciator (picture the potential market for a five year old S65 vs a Conti). Bentley is certainly a more aspirational brand but that's just one of the factors to be taken into account with a decision like this.

No bad choice to be made here, IMO - best of luck!

Edit - now that I have read some more of the OPs posts and I understand how much respect he clearly has for Europe and all things European, may I politely suggest that he looks to buy a fabulous American-made car instead?

7even

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it should all come down to what the purpose of the car would be. continental as others have said is a classic with many days of spirited driving, can't go wrong. the S65 is nice, it's like a maybach but i see way too many of the S65s on the road these days, not as many GTs. good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads